Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Safety Concerns With Respect to Early Morning Rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Safety Concerns With Respect to Early Morning Rides

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
If one does lose traction and slide out around a corner, is there a strategic way to handle that (clipped in)? Keep all limbs in close and ride it out? Frankly, I'm not sure that my reflexes are fast enough to allow me to execute anything intentional. I see a lot of slow autumn cornering in my future.
Old 08-12-21, 09:10 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Thanks for all of the insight guys.

With regard to lights, I've got a Bontrager Ion that kicks out some serious lumens. One of the benefits of my having ridden the pathway in question many times (50+ now), in my opinion, is that it offers me few surprises in terms of terrain, points of congestions, and points of incoming pedestrian / cyclist flow.

With regard to vehicular traffic, there will be none on these pathways.

Bugs is an interesting wrinkle that I'd not previously considered.
Biggest difference I notice riding at dawn is that water may condense on my rims and make the brakes a bit squeaky, not really a safety issue. The number of people on the path is sparse at that time, so that probably makes things marginally safer. Biggest problem for me is sun in the eyes on the horizon, but it's not a big deal.

I don't see more bugs at dawn, that's a dusk problem in my experience.
Old 08-12-21, 09:25 AM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
Good lighting is key for me. I ride with two lights on the front when dark (morning or night). One is a 900 lumen and stays on 100% of the time is pointing straight ahead. The other is a 600 lumen in low mode and pointed down toward the ground about 25 feet in front of me. I also run with a red rear light all the time too.
Old 08-13-21, 10:37 AM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Beware of boardwalks (if any on your route) wen they are dew covered or wet. Those can be like trying to ride on a liberally greased surface.

Cheers
Old 08-16-21, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only way for me to ride is to get it in before the kids get up so Im 4:30-6:30AM. I head to the country roads and usually only get passed by 4 cars my entire ride. If I head to the city, I take the MUP back as the traffic is busier (6-ish). I dont trust half-awake people trying to find the coffee cup while speeding.

I used a 700 lumen Lyzene light, but found that I would outrun it on the MUP through the woods. Happily switched to a 1300 and it has saved me from several downed trees. I keep it on medium when on the road, but switch to full in the trails. I also have a bright random flashing rear near the seat tube/top tube joint, and another on the back of my helmet.

Rabbits are the big problem for me, with deer being a close second. Rabbits pop out of nowhere and are extremely fast and unpredictable. Ive hit several of those. I got hit in the foot and rear wheel by a fawn last week, but didnt take me out thankfully.

Road lines/wood/metal sewers are really slippery in the morning. The large crosswalk stripes are really bad if you hit them on a turn.
Likes For j2cervin:
Old 08-16-21, 12:44 PM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yea I have one of the Ion 700's, very bright. I ingested many a bug during my commutes...., but I look at it as extra protein
You can tell a happy cyclist by the bugs in their teeth!
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-17-21, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just be more cautious and always wear safety gear. That's the reason why I don't like morning rides, it's prone to accidents.
Old 08-17-21, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Superleggera w/all Campy Chorus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I avoid early rides:
Re-tired, Don't have to get up at 4:am no more.
Doe and Fawn crossed within 25' yesterday mid morning in area that frequently also has Elk crossing.
Lots of small critters.
Lots of drowsy drivers.
Soon, most MUP's and roads will be totally covered in wet slippery leaves.
My eyes aren't what they used to be
. . . . . . . . .
Is this enough excuses, to justify my core lazy streak ?
Old 08-18-21, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
w/ respect to "traction" what came to mind was staying away from painted road markings. I believe they can get slippery when wet, but it's not like ice
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-18-21, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinghy
Lots of small critters.
I once surprised a family of raccoons on the side of the road one morning. They weren't nearly as surprised as I was the time a skunk ran across the road in front of me, tail up. Luckily he didn't spray.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-18-21, 07:33 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
w/ respect to "traction" what came to mind was staying away from painted road markings. I believe they can get slippery when wet, but it's not like ice
Yeah, paint and metal (manhole covers, sewer grates, etc) can get slippery, but it's not that bad. Besides, who's going to be chucking it in to corners with reckless abandon on the pre-dawn MUPs?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-19-21, 05:42 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, paint and metal (manhole covers, sewer grates, etc) can get slippery, but it's not that bad. Besides, who's going to be chucking it in to corners with reckless abandon on the pre-dawn MUPs?
right but if one isn't expecting an issue, they can be caught off guard, maybe for an emergency stop or whatever. I remember reading on BF when someone posted they fell because if it. does the OP not ride on roads? sorry if I missed that
Old 08-19-21, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
In the fall, leaves on pavement can be a bit of a challenge - especially if your trails are through wooded areas. Even if the path is otherwise dry, sometimes leaves that have fallen will hold a bit of moisture between them and the pavement, and slide around.

This time of year, my biggest challenge with pre-dawn rides is all the bugs. I keep meaning to buy some clear lens glasses to help with this.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-19-21, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've always found that pre-dawn is the best time to be chucking it into corners with reckless abandon on the MUP.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-19-21, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by msu2001la
This time of year, my biggest challenge with pre-dawn rides is all the bugs. I keep meaning to buy some clear lens glasses to help with this.
got something for ya!

Likes For rumrunn6: