Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Taking a break from cycling on purpose.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Taking a break from cycling on purpose.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Due to weather I'm off the road around 4 month in the winter. I limit trainer time to short sessions and 2-4 days a week with XC skiing a couple days. During the other 8 month I do at least one proper recovery ride week with 2-3 easier rides. Mixing it up with active recovery helps more physically and emotional than taking a day off or doing other activities.
Old 05-17-14, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,728 Times in 3,514 Posts
The last two years I've been feeling the flame going out. It's an effort to push myself out to take a ride.

It'll either get better . . . . . . . . . or the flame will go out, period. Life goes on.
Old 05-17-14, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My coach made me take 2 weeks off in October. Longest 2 weeks of my life. But I'm sure she was right.

In contrast to what surgeon said... if you want to ride but you are just having a performance plateau, try getting on a structured training plan instead of just riding the same way all the time. Maybe even hire a coach for a startup plan.
Old 05-17-14, 07:42 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
I tore a ham strong a few years ago which forced me off the bike for about two weeks and then forced me from doing fast, group rides for about another month. That's about it.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-17-14, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 1,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Don't take anyone's advice.
Agree. Except for mine, which is always right and good.
Old 05-17-14, 10:03 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by diggy488
When you all came back from your break, how long did it take to get back to peak level? For example, if you've biked consistently for a couple years, took 6 months off, then came back to cycling, how long did it take to get back to where you were? This excludes coming back from injuries.
I once took about 4 months off during the winter. What a terrible idea! It took me all summer and fall to get most of it back. I rode/worked out all the next winter and by spring I had it back. So almost a year to repair the damage done by 4 months off. Never again. I'd been training consistently for about 10 years.
Old 05-17-14, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I injured my leg a while back (not while biking), and had trouble getting it to heal. I found this sports warmup / flexibility program, Defranco's Limber 11 -
Joe D's "Limber 11" (flexibility routine) - DeFranco's Training

It actually cured my injury without surgery, and greatly increased my flexibility on my bike (and by increased I mean I'm more comfortably flexible now). Biking got a lot more enjoyable, and it helped my hips/leg heal. (I should probably note that I also added in "foam rolling" everywhere the program didn't hit as well - I bought a foam ball off amazon called "The Orb" to roll the underside of my leg, hit the top of the thigh with a foam roller, and use a baseball to roll the area around the hips that's hard to hit with the foam roller, then at the end I do bodyweight squats to increase my flexibility in the squatting position).

Just an fyi or thought. I don't know if it will help other people, but it really really helped me, both in healing my legs and increasing my flexibility.
Old 05-17-14, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 2012 C'dale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I once took about 4 months off during the winter. What a terrible idea! It took me all summer and fall to get most of it back. I rode/worked out all the next winter and by spring I had it back. So almost a year to repair the damage done by 4 months off. Never again. I'd been training consistently for about 10 years.
Man, I was hoping muscle memory would've helped much sooner than that. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-17-14, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I do three weeks of in December around Christmas and then 1 week of in July.

I also ride every other day not to exceed 4-5 days a week, and do 100-125 miles a week in season.

So yes, by all means you should take time off and recoup. If you get on the bike and you are dreading in the first mile, then your body is telling you something.
Old 05-17-14, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I tore a ham strong a few years ago which forced me off the bike for about two weeks and then forced me from doing fast, group rides for about another month. That's about it.
Is that what Lance calls himself these days to remain incognito?
Old 05-18-14, 08:30 AM
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I took a few months off my bike, & away for BF...
Our beloved Hot or Not Thread got nuked...

Is this a sign... ???
"Bad things happen when I don't pay attention to my bikes, or BF"... 😲
Old 05-18-14, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
A muse on a bike is always good.
Muscle not muse. Damn spell check is crazy.
Old 05-18-14, 08:55 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Except Dudlesacks, take his.
Old 05-18-14, 09:15 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by diggy488
Man, I was hoping muscle memory would've helped much sooner than that. Thanks for the reply.
It's not muscle memory so much. It's loss of heart size and mitochondrial density, plus fat burning ability, plus who knows what, the upshot being that power and endurance are off, and dratted hard to get back if you've spent 10 years ramping all this up to somewhere near your physiological limits.
Old 05-19-14, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Except Dudlesacks, take his.
Everyone else had taken it, so he hasn't any left to offer. Yes?
Old 05-19-14, 07:16 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
Ive been chugging out 100 heavy (my legs feel like lead!!) miles a week all winter/spring and its just not going the way id like it, as in easy! I think i just need to do some whole body recovery and stay away from cycling for a month or two and let my body do some healing.
If 100 miles a week is causing your body to need an extended break to recover, then you're doing it wrong.

Its perfectly fine to take a break if your not enjoying yourself, virtually no one here is getting paid for this. You may well need time away doing other things for your mental health.

But for fitness, and performance, its doubtful a multiple month period off the bike is needed. A well designed program with rest days, recovery rides, and recovery weeks will keep your body from needing extended time off the bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-19-14, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
Whats the longest intentional break you've taken from cycling for recoup purposes? Im about to do two months of lazy bliss. Ive been chugging out 100 heavy (my legs feel like lead!!) miles a week all winter/spring and its just not going the way id like it, as in easy! I think i just need to do some whole body recovery and stay away from cycling for a month or two and let my body do some healing.....Barring injury, the longest break Ive taken from riding for the last decade has been well, never. i just ride year round, year after year....I kind of feel like forest gump, "ahhhm tired, i think ill go home now". and then he stops running.....
The season is still young, so it depends on your goals. If I feel like you do, which often happens, I would take one week and put in six real easy hours, one high cadence low power session and two longer distance easy sessions. If I don't feel fully recovered after that, I will continue the same until the legs come back fully.

I always take a break of six to eight weeks at the end of the season, but never as a couch potato.

In short, it totally depends on your goals. If competitive, in season, one week off can do you good, two weeks off you start losing fitness rapidly.
Old 05-19-14, 07:38 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40
I always take a break of six to eight weeks at the end of the season, but never as a couch potato.
For me, it's the month of October. Power meter goes in the drawer. I run, kayak, lift weights, play golf or wahtever I feel like. I still ride, but only if I want and with no training agenda.

[ Our race calendar starts in January]
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-19-14, 08:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
For me, it's the month of October. Power meter goes in the drawer. I run, kayak, lift weights, play golf or wahtever I feel like. I still ride, but only if I want and with no training agenda.

[ Our race calendar starts in January]
I will throw out the disclaimer that I am nowhere near so many here in terms of accomplishments. I don't race and I don't ride extreme miles. I have moderate goals (2500 miles this year)...

By Oct though I'm getting burnt. (weather allowing) weekday rides of 20-30 and weekend rides of 50+ are beginning to lag and get boring. I start to slow down and get ready for the indoor winter training session. It's not uncommon to see a whole week during the month of Oct where I don't even touch the bike.

I sometimes wish I lived in a place where I could outdoor ride 12 months a year...but in all reality, I'd get burnt on it. I refuse to ride much colder than 35F so Nov-Feb is often a no-go for outdoor riding. It's good though, by March/April I'm often seriously ready to hit the road again and fully recharged.
Old 05-19-14, 10:46 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts

" Take my advice...Im not using it"
Old 05-19-14, 06:06 PM