Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Ride Research Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Ride Research Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 07:54 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
what’s your objection to people skipping pulls. If you’re struggling, it’s better to skip a pull, than slow or disrupt the group by attempting to pull when you’re not up to it. IMHO, it’s perfectly acceptable to rotate through at the front without pulling for any significant time, or to allow people to rotate in ahead of you at the back. Neither disrupts the group, and your mere presence adds to the overall draft effect of the group. Also you may be able contribute more after you’ve skipped a turn or two.

Just don’t skip pulls the whole ride and then contest the sprints
specifically people who consistently skip taking their pulls at the front. One guy in particular who pulls off when he's 2 bikes from the front,, and is the same guy who will try to insert himself into the middle of the group instead of falling all the way to the back..
Amd FWIW I used to be that guy until I got yelled at by a veteran for doing stupid ****, that was all it took for me to read up on how to ride in a paceline.
Old 03-07-22, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The question to me is whether riders are using foveal or peripheral vision.

Hockey players (cyclists) who focus on the puck (wheel in front of them) land up on the ice (pavement).

I use a soft vision (peripheral) looking up the pack and road
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-07-22, 09:57 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
specifically people who consistently skip taking their pulls at the front. One guy in particular who pulls off when he's 2 bikes from the front,, and is the same guy who will try to insert himself into the middle of the group instead of falling all the way to the back..
Amd FWIW I used to be that guy until I got yelled at by a veteran for doing stupid ****, that was all it took for me to read up on how to ride in a paceline.
pulling out of the pace line (not in a race, or a competitive ride) 2 wheels from the front and asserting yourself back in the middle I agree is disruptive and should be frowned upon.

Howver, skipping a turn in the fashion I described is perfectly appropriate and helps rather than hinders the group.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-07-22, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
pulling out of the pace line (not in a race, or a competitive ride) 2 wheels from the front and asserting yourself back in the middle I agree is disruptive and should be frowned upon.

Howver, skipping a turn in the fashion I described is perfectly appropriate and helps rather than hinders the group.
The one exception with skipping pulls, in my mind, is if you're riding an organized event (century, fondo, etc) and you're riding it as part of group/ team, take a decent pull or "We're going to yell at you".
Old 03-07-22, 01:45 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Doing some research for a podcast episode. Need a sampling.

What do you look at during a road group ride or a race?

Think about it for a minute. Put yourself in the middle of the pack.

Where are you looking? And specifically, why? Or for what?
Group ride AND race, when not the front rider:
-wheel in front of me
-down road to predict group movements/actions, bunny hop pot hole someone didn't call out
-NOT the gps

when on front:
-up road to predict obstacles, call out potholes/debris
-occasionally a gps glance, reason different if group chill ride versus race/hammerfest ride
Old 03-07-22, 06:01 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4757 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
I'm usually on my phone texting, or alternatively changing my screen layout on the garmin
Old 03-07-22, 11:32 PM
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Similar to what others have said, if I'm riding in the middle of a larger group, I'm scanning to see what riders ahead are doing, as much of the road surface as possible, the position of wheels ahead, and looking for riders to my side or slightly behind if it sounds like someone is half-wheeling me. Basically, I want to be ready to take evasive action or brake safely if it's necessary. But if I'm riding in a fast paceline with a smaller group of similarly fit riders who I trust, then I'll spend much more time looking at the wheel in front of me, watching that rider's path and maintaining an appropriate distance in order to keep the paceline together.
Old 03-08-22, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Basically what Bob Ross said: looking through the rider and up the road. You've also got to be aware of your peripheral vision too if there might be riders moving up on the sides.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-08-22, 06:37 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 447 Posts
The one exception with skipping pulls, in my mind, is if you're riding an organized event (century, fondo, etc) and you're riding it as part of group/ team, take a decent pull or "We're going to yell at you".
I guess...
But maybe its my 'aging', but anything which isn;t a sanctioned race, is just a 'ride' to me (which these days is everything... LOL!)
'Tactical' riding is/was reserved to racing. And 'yelling' at another rider never seemed to produce the effect hoped for.
If a rider needs and could use 'coaching', best to provide that in some positive, 'conversational' fashion. If the rider is a d1%k, then prolly best to just keep plenty of buffer space and tactics.
Any 'group' rides I do these days, finds me being the oldest rider, by far (there are 3-4 other guys my age and we know each other well...). Pride has me pulling thru when it comes my turn, but how long will vary quite a bit. As Merlinextralight noted, sometimes you just gotta pull thru and fall off quickly. Nothing wrong with that.
Good awareness and 'chill' assures your ride will always be fun.
When anyone starts making their income from their riding, then you're OK to get 'serious'... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-10-22, 05:51 PM
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm usually on my phone texting, or alternatively changing my screen layout on the garmin
I'll re-wrap my handlebars, but only when I'm on the front where the lighting is better.

take a decent pull or "We're going to yell at you".
Warms my heart.

EventServices please provide a link to your podcast, would love to listen in some day.
It's Riders Ready on Spotify and Google podcasts. Not on Apple yet.
Likes For EventServices: