Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stupid Things You Hear at the LBS pt.~

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stupid Things You Hear at the LBS pt.~

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
... more like Monty Python's "The Cheese Shoppe."
Yes - I was thinking the same thing! Substitute 27" tire for Cheddar:

Customer: Aah, how about Cheddar?

Wenslydale: Well, we don't get much call for it around here, sir.

Customer: Not much ca--It's the single most popular cheese in the world!

Wenslydale: Not 'round here, sir.
Old 02-10-09, 08:13 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Go to LBS for a whatever and talk to mechanic. He knows I have a fixed gear and asks how it is doing. Tell him a got a good deal on some Dura Ace track cranks from CL. They are 175mm.
He says they are way too long and will not work for me.
They would only be good for Eddy Merckx to try for an hour record.
Old 02-10-09, 08:19 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I am fairly certain I can build that bike into a bike that is lighter and handles better than the Clubman. I could probably get about 1/2 the cost back by selling the Suntour GPX components.
Absolutely. And the GPX stuff will work with a set of 8-sp brifters and cassette, or with 7-sp brifters if you can find RSX. You can go either way.
Old 02-10-09, 08:56 PM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I needed to have my French 14mm thread cranks tapped for 9/16 pedals, a simple process. I go into the LBS and ask the mechanic, who looked about my age (i.e. old enough to know what I'm talking about), if he can do it for me. He goes into this speach about how he would need a drill press to redrill the arms straight and since he doesn't have one he wouldn't be able to garanty the pedals would screw in straight. So I say, "No, you just have to run your regular 9/16 taps through them with some cutting oil". And he's looking at me like I'm crazy so I say, "If you go online, Sheldon Brown details the whole process". And he says, "Well, I don't put much stock in anything some old Internet mechanic says". I left at that point. I went to another shop right down the street and asked the young mechanic there if he could do it and he threw the bike right up on the stand and took care of it.
Old 02-10-09, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
And he's looking at me like I'm crazy so I say, "If you go online, Sheldon Brown details the whole process". And he says, "Well, I don't put much stock in anything some old Internet mechanic says".
Blasphemy!

Check out my bike blog!
Old 02-10-09, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I got a warranty frame for my MTB. it came with the BB threads uncut. I went to a few local shops and asked if they could cut the threads for me. nobody knew how to do it. I finally went to the shop I used to work for (with new ******** owners) and asked if they could do it. They said they didn't have the tool and nobody knows how to thread a bb anyway. I proceeded to walk behind the counter, get the tool from the cabinet where we kept all our cutting tools and offered the manager 20.00 for it, then I went home and cut the threads myself and rode that evening. store vs. shop
Old 02-10-09, 10:12 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Sadly, my LBS can't top any of those stories. When I bought 26" tires for a Raleigh Sport, they asked me to check the numbers on the side of the tires cause they had both tires that fit the Schwinns and the tires that fit Raleighs and other brands. They stock Shimano brand six speed freewheels, 27 inch wheels, retro brake pads. When I had a frozen 1990s Scott, Clark Kent suspension fork, they looked at, said they hadn't seen one in a couple of years then proceeded to tell me about the different models of Scott forks. I always check out their repair rack to see what vintage stuff is waiting its turn to go on the stands for an overhaul.
Sorry, no stories here about mechanics that don't know what they're doing and no stories about trying to upsell. Guess they're kinda boring.
Old 02-10-09, 10:43 PM
sucker for lugs

Bikes: Shogun 800 (had to cull the herd)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamamtnabiker
when my dad, who has no clue about bikes was trying to buy a new mountain bike we were in the store, right. Theyre showing us a mountain bike pull brake mtb and I say, "do you have any with disc brakes" she says "no, but they don't do anything, you dont need them. just extra weight- unnecessary weight." We walked out.
Now hold on, I'd probably say the same thing to somebody with no clue about mountain bikes. For recreational riding they really don't offer any advantages other than bling factor, and cheap ones are terrible to keep adjusted.

Originally Posted by iamamtnabiker
i went to a bike store for race packet pick up, no one knew that they had packet pickup, and called the manager, and called the other locations. disheartened, i went looking at the bikes, and walked into a guy at a plastic table. That was packet pickup. HOW OBLIVIOUS, the store is only 50' by 30'
Oblivious? You, my friend, missed the same table in the same shop.
Old 02-10-09, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Dave's not here, man."

My LBS has been family owned for over 50 years. When I needed new gumwall tires for my old Schwinn Suburban, they had plenty in stock, because they said they were popular. They've never tried to sell me a new bike, and they're quick to point out the cheapest part to save money. Sometimes too quick, but I realize they probably deal with customers all day who don't want to spend much on a bike. When I asked to buy a tool to remove my freewheel, they found they didn't have one that fit the 1974 Schwinn Varsity, so they just removed it for me for free, on the spot. They were an Authorized Schwinn Dealer back in the old days.
Old 02-10-09, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
Turns out the bike they were trying to sell my friend is a Raleigh Clubman. This apparently is some Marketers attempt to capitalize on the retro craze. It is made with Reynolds 520 steel and has a Brooks saddle. I can't figure out why they chose to use a sloping top tube. It ruins the whole effect.
In the Clubman's defense, it is a very nice riding bike that looks great in person.,,,,,BD
Old 02-10-09, 11:56 PM
Designer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Something that I hate almost as much as a salesman trying to force a sale on me is a salesman who will not give me a sale because he/she insists that it's not what I'm looking for. It has come to a point wherein I don't even tell them why I'm looking for a particular part even if they ask.
Old 02-11-09, 01:37 AM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The owner of the LBS I frequent has been there 35 years, started as a mechanic at 16 or so. The two main mechanics are in their early 30s I estimate. Today I watched one doing a routine tuneup which included truing the wheels. Tires came off so he could check and correct radial truing as well as side to side.

LBS's seem to vary greatly in quality and level of BS handed out. When you find a good one then support it so that it will stick around.
Old 02-11-09, 05:15 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
My LBS has a new, young mechanic.
His name is Drew. I haven't told him yet.
Old 02-11-09, 06:01 AM
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Scene: Not a bike shop, but a sport-mart type place.

Bored, and waiting for someone, I'm looking at two complete garbage bikes, one for $100, and one for $250, similarly equipped.

SalesGuy: Anything I can help you with?
Me: Big difference in price between those two. What gives?
SG: Better frame on that one (indicates the $250 one).
Me: Do tell.
SG: It's ALOOOOMinum.
Me: Really? The rear dropouts, (pointing so he'll look) look like steel.
SG: The rear triangle is steel and welded to the aluminum front.
Me: You don't say.
Old 02-11-09, 07:09 AM
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I went into the bike shop to get a chain for a bike I was building; asked for a chain for an old 10-speed with a freewheel. He asked me what brand my bike was. I said it was a 60s Carlton with all Campagnolo, but why did that matter? He said because chains were all different sizes back then...
Old 02-11-09, 07:16 AM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
In the interest of fair and balanced reporting, I should also say that there is another LBS in teh area that is fantastic in dealing with me and all my oddball needs.

jim
Old 02-11-09, 07:35 AM
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I almost forgot this one.

I'm in a shop in a small town that's got forest reserve nearby with a trail network. I buy a trail map and ask for directions to the trailhead.

The kid behind the counter pauses, then pulls out a pen and a blank piece of paper. He draws a three inch straight line in the middle of the paper. Pauses, looks at it, "Wait," he says, and crosses it out and flips the paper over. I burst out laughing, but felt bad after.
Old 02-11-09, 07:36 AM
car dodger

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Sadly, my LBS can't top any of those stories. When I bought 26" tires for a Raleigh Sport, they asked me to check the numbers on the side of the tires cause they had both tires that fit the Schwinns and the tires that fit Raleighs and other brands. They stock Shimano brand six speed freewheels, 27 inch wheels, retro brake pads. When I had a frozen 1990s Scott, Clark Kent suspension fork, they looked at, said they hadn't seen one in a couple of years then proceeded to tell me about the different models of Scott forks. I always check out their repair rack to see what vintage stuff is waiting its turn to go on the stands for an overhaul.
Sorry, no stories here about mechanics that don't know what they're doing and no stories about trying to upsell. Guess they're kinda boring.
cycle logic? all star stocks some vintage stuff in the back also...
but once at the north raleigh all star, I was looking at their quill stems and spotted a cool inscribed italian one, I asked how much it was and the mechanic went all aghast and said "we can't sell that to you, that's for real bike collectors!"
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 02-11-09, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi San Remo (not original parts)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking to change my handlebars. I had an old quill stem with a 25.4 diameter. I called several bike shops - I wanted bullhorns b/c the seemed to suit my riding style more - and asked if they had any bullhorns, 25.4 diameter. Finally I found one who said they had a bunch in stock at their other store. I told them, I'd be by after work to get one. I get to the store, and nothing. Only 26.0. So they offered to sell me a new stem too.
Old 02-11-09, 09:01 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Muttleyone
Sounds like the skit "Who's on first."

Mutt
I was going to say the "Cheese Shop" sketch from Monty Python, then I saw it had already been said. Dead Parrot sketch, anyone?

Last edited by Kotts; 02-11-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 09:13 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
There is an LBS 3 blocks from my house.

I never liked it much, but it is close, so I would sometimes go for a quick thing. One time I needed a 27" tire for a Schwinn Continental. I asked for it, and I got this conversation:

me I need a 27 inch tire for a Schwinn Continental.

BS Schwinns take special tires.

me this one just takes a normal 27, got one?

BS Schwinn tires are not like other tires.

me This is just a normal 630 tire. Do you have one?

BS But Schwinn ones are different

me Okay, do you have any Schwinn 27 tires?

BS They aren't like the other ones.

me I hear that you say that. Do you, perchance, have one?

BS But they are not the normal tire

me You are correct, they are not normal tires. They only fit Schwinn rims. Have one?

BS You can't put any old tire on there

me Do you, or do you not, have such a tire here? I have money. Cash money. Will you sell me one? They are not normal tires. They do not fit other bikes. They are different. I agree completely. Here are some money, will you trade such a tire for this money I have?

BS Schwinn tires are different.

I finally had to leave. And when I did he sighed and seemed to think I was being foolish. I think I have not spent a dime in there since then.

jim
Cole's?

You're better off at Merv's anyway. Can't find $7.00 Kenda 27" tires anywhere else within 200 miles.

I'm fortunate in that neither of the 3 more or less local LBS's that I'll go to won't do that to me. We are having some fun getting the right tire for my unicycle with the Schwinn 20" rim - but that's because the manufacturer only make one run of them a year, and they're currently out of stock (and I'm not going to pay $45.00 for the Schwalbe one that I have been able to find online). But that's not the LBS.

However, I did catch one fellow trying to sell a guy with a nice, vintage bike with Record hubs a new wheelset because one of his axles snapped. I understood the LBS guy's point of view (they don't have a supplier for those replacement axles), but I could tell the customer was disappointed by the prospect of putting $400.00 out to get comparable new wheels. I discretely caught the fellow after he left the shop and gave him tips on finding a replacement axle, and also sold him a respectable set of wheels to use until he got the axle, for a bargain price.
Old 02-11-09, 09:13 AM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Haven't had much doings with the in-town LBS, since they're mostly stand-offish elitists, but I went in there to get brake hoods for my Raleigh, and they didn't know where they were...and I'm not talking one newb employee, the head mechanic, owner, and newb employee were all looking for them.

ugh.
Old 02-11-09, 09:52 AM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,090 Posts
I have also overheard my fair share of boneheaded comments and remarks from other customers, so I understand where some of the stand-offish-ness and attitude comes from.

I was in a shop just looking for a tube and overheard a more-money-than-brains type insist he needed a $4500 Cervelo because he read on the 'net that it was the best. And he needed it that day because he was going to do a triathlon the next day. The shop owner was politely trying to steer him to a equally as nice $4000 Orbea that actually fit (the Cervelo was WAY to big for the guy). I didn't stick around to see how it panned out, but I could see how frustrating it coud be dealing with people like that....
Old 02-11-09, 10:12 AM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
These are all hilarious stories, almost unbelievable. Here's a much needed post amidst the mayhem that will counterbalance the score and attempt to redeem the LBS.

It is a one man show, hidden in the back of a tourist town outdoor store, that mostly sells women's Patagonia. I usually walk in the back door to avoid the über-ladies up front:

"Hey, I just got an old Campy crank that takes an oddball 7mm Allen wrench. Couldn't find one down at Napa, something you got in here?"

"Do you want to just use it once? Cause we need to order one for you to keep."

"Well, I didn't bring the bike with me, but.."

"Haven't used it in years" and he walks deliberately to a certain spot on the 12 foot long, super messy and crowded workbench, and without searching even for a second picks up a shiny 7mm Allen wrench. "Here you go, bring it back at your leisure."

/
Old 02-11-09, 10:15 AM
Gone World Hepster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
There is a bike shop three blocks from my house called ironically, 'The Used Bike Shop' but when you walk in you would have to really dig to find a used bike--it's all bents and Chinese crapola. When I first got back into biking and fixing I bought a lot of parts and took stuff in for work I didn't have the tools or the skills to do myself and the owner wasn't exactly cheerful but when a friend went in to have her bike tuned up and mentioned I'd sold her daughter a beautiful Schwinn Super Sport that all changed to downright hostile of the passive/agressive type. He would get this phony smile on his face and say stuff like 'you know I ought to turn you in to the State Department of Revenue' and 'you can bring your work in, but wait till December when I'm not busy'. Needless to say he lost a customer plus when folks ask me which bike shop I would recommend he's not on the list at all. A check of my records from last year showed I'd done nearly $500 worth of business with the idiot up to that point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.