Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What Is A Good Tricycle For A Bad Back

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What Is A Good Tricycle For A Bad Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn Kids, quite fighting

Has anyone any input on the BFF Mantis? Found one for sale locally still in the box for $1500. No great savings but it is very close by. I've yet to speak to the individual but hoped to tomorrow being I have to be in that area for an appointment.

https://bfftrikes.com/product_mantis.htm
Old 05-18-11, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
The suggestion to try a recumbent exercise machine is off-base, I think. Those things are terrible compared to the real thing! Regarding the bike/trike 'war,' I don't see why the OP *needs* a trike, except it would allow slower speeds for someone who is woefully out of shape at first. I've never heard of the BFF Mantis, but the specs don't look bad at all. I wonder what the non-published specs are: seat height, weight capacity, etc. Also, I wonder if the 'normalized' gearing is a bit on the optimistic side.
Old 05-19-11, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I was not impressed with the recumbent exercise bike I have (sis has now). I mean it is good for what it was meant, but it certainly was not interesting or fun. But then again I didn't buy it for pleasure or adventure now did I? I am sure the OP suggested it in an effort to see if I would even be able to endure something of the sort.

Anywho, I got to test rid a few recumbent's today. I was up mid state picking up a mower deck for my JD tractor and after doing a search for dealers in my state the night before discovered there was one in the very town I was to go to. I rode 4 different ones, the Sun Easy Sport, RANS V-Rex and Stratus LE, and one other one similar to the V-Rex but I was so turned off by it I never got the name of it. The squirrelly steering of all of them definitely took some getting use to for sure, but I picked up on it after a half a block or so on each of them.

Of the four I was impressed mostly by the V-Rex to my surprise. I didn't think I would looking at it, mainly because it looks so odd if nothing else. I liked the Status as well, but would have to ride them both again one after the other to say which of the two I liked better. The Strat was the first I tried and the V-Rex was the last. I think I liked the fact that the pedals were up higher on the V-Rex for one, and I also seemed to get a good feel for the shorter wheelbase, though the other one similar to it that I rode was the same style but was NOTHING like the V-Rex in so many ways. The handle bars were way closer to the seat and I felt cramped in. I didn't get that feel on the V-Rex at all. Another thing I liked about the V-Rex was the fact that the handle bars folded forward to ease getting in and out. I wish I could remember what brand of the other one, though no matter other than to avoid it all together.

The dealer did not stock any tadpoles unfortunately, but at least I got a taste of the two wheelers. It certainly was not what I was expecting, but then again I didn't know what to expect. The owner of the shop was very helpful and spent a great deal of time with me even though I informed him up front that I was simply trying to get a taste for them and was not going to make any purchases at this time. I did learn that the seats on the two RANS I rode were AWESOME. Actually just as comfortable of not more than my recliner here at home in respect to lumbar support and the seat area itself. I can see me riding in one for quite some time without much discomfort, though I could very well be proved wrong on that after 20 miles or so...LOL In any event it did not appear to bother my tail bone at all in the time I spent in them, which is more than I can say for most chairs let alone a bike seat.

All in all it was a great experience,and as such I look forward to trying out the tadpoles in the near future to compare the two totally different animals
Old 05-19-11, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The suggestion to try a recumbent exercise machine is off-base, I think. Those things are terrible compared to the real thing! Regarding the bike/trike 'war,' I don't see why the OP *needs* a trike, except it would allow slower speeds for someone who is woefully out of shape at first. I've never heard of the BFF Mantis, but the specs don't look bad at all. I wonder what the non-published specs are: seat height, weight capacity, etc. Also, I wonder if the 'normalized' gearing is a bit on the optimistic side.
Trikes are much more fun to ride. That is reason enough.
Old 05-19-11, 07:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobsk8
Trikes are much more fun to ride. That is reason enough.
They certainly appear that way on paper. I know one aspect I didn't like about those I rode today was the instability at first. I didn't spend more than an hour or so testing these four out and am sure this gets better once one comes accustom to them, but my being a large man (tall), and "woefully out of shape" indeed, the tadpole appeals to me for this reason alone. I just get the impression they would be more fun, which is what I am aiming for. If I can have fun at it then I am more apt to keep at it.
Old 05-19-11, 09:23 PM
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Trikes are great if you have enough room on the road. But on a narrow thoroughfare with a goodly crest, you might find a two wheeler the better choice.

Incidentally, my LWB sports a curved seat into which my posterior flushly fits, yet I never feel any discomfort at my tailbone-- and I am particularly sensitive there.

Hope you find the machine that's right for you!
Old 05-20-11, 04:55 AM

Bikes: Sun X3-SX recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blazingpedals,

I know it's not like a road recumbent and would be boring...but it should give some type of an idea if, Mark could even ride a recumbent with his back issues. I KNOW WHAT HE'S LIVING WITH, so at least for me that would give some idea if I could ride one with my legs/body in the recumbent position. I didn't mean to buy one, just try it out at a gym, a display at a store, etc. to get some idea how it would be compared to a DF bike. Remember he said he has no access to a recumbent, so I figured that would be better than nothing and it's the only reason I suggested it. Then if he felt he'd be ok on one, then take the long road trip in search of the right one for him.

On the other hand, I've never had any experiences with a stationary exercise recumbent, only a DF one. A couple of you here have, so I guess my thinking was way off and it wouldn't even give any idea what one would be like. On the DF one it feels just like a road bike to me and I can't ride it without pain just as if I were on a DF road bike.

Bob
Old 05-20-11, 03:24 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I, too, think that there is no comparison between using a recumbent exercise machine and riding a bicycle.
Old 05-20-11, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest you look at the Lightfoot line of recumbent. Thru the years I have purchased 3. I still own 2 and my son has the 3rd. I love the bikes. Very comfortable.
You may want to consider a Bionx electric assist. It has an adjustable assist level. Using level 1 you can hardly feel it and ride well over 50 miles with the new 48 volt unit. Or for shorter rides turn the assist level up and go easier on your back.

https://www.lightfootcycles.com/trikes.htm

https://www.bionx.ca/en/

Last edited by 15rms; 05-20-11 at 05:27 PM. Reason: poor grammer
Old 05-20-11, 05:37 PM
rebmeM roineS

Never seen a Lightfoot but have heard good things about them.

I missed the part about the OP looking for a motorized bike/trike.
Old 05-20-11, 06:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He did not mention a motorized bike. Just a thought from me.
Old 05-20-11, 06:57 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by 15rms
He did not mention a motorized bike. Just a thought from me.
Lots of options, there are.
Old 05-20-11, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did see the option in my searches for electric assist, though did not give it much thought at the time. Not a bad idea really...it would give me incentive to go on journeys I might otherwise not. I'll have to give it some thought. And you are right, JanMM, There are many options and I want to make the right choice as I cannot afford to make a poor decision. As such I am going to take my time and continue to do some extensive on hand research. I wish there was the option to lease ;-)
Old 05-20-11, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I was told about the Deltas was that they are tanks. I like the idea of light, but I'll give them a look, TY
Old 05-21-11, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
At 6'4" and 235 pounds, you aren't all that heavy, even though you may be heavier than you're used to being. I'd say you're doing the right stuff so far; namely, getting test rides. The thing with backs is, they're all different. The seat that feels great to one person with back problems, might be agony for the next. Keep looking for opportunities to test-ride trikes - both delta and tadpole if possible. The one problem you might have with a tad is the seat height and whether or not your back will let you get down into and out of it. Don't be afraid to try those 2-wheelers again, either. One tidbit I like to suggest is to repeat the test rides a week later. It takes your brain a few days to process the first experience and you might find even the one you hated before has become kinda nice. Or not. If the one you didn't like was an EZ-Speedster, I don't like it either.
Old 05-22-11, 05:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thing to keep in mind abut a test ride, is what feels OK after 10 minutes, might kill you on a 2 hour ride. If you do take a test ride, make sure it isn't just a brief one.
Old 05-22-11, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Bike Friday Air Glide, Lemond Zurich, Windcheetah Club Sport, Catrike 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcharley94
One thing I was told about the Deltas was that they are tanks. I like the idea of light, but I'll give them a look, TY
Not really. The Ketwessel or Greenspeed Anora would examples of quality Deltas that would fast, comfortable and fun: certainly more fun and faster than many of the Tadpoles especially ones like the Rover.
Old 05-22-11, 07:18 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
mcharley94 Before you totally put off Delta Trikes, try to get a test ride on a "RANS Trizard" delta trike, that is one FUN ride, jmho. IF I ever have the funds, that would be the "R-Trike" for me! FYI, YMMV!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 05-22-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scarabeoguy
Not really. The Ketwessel or Greenspeed Anora would examples of quality Deltas that would fast, comfortable and fun: certainly more fun and faster than many of the Tadpoles especially ones like the Rover.
They should be faster at 2 1/2 to over 3 1/2 times the price.
Old 05-22-11, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If the one you didn't like was an EZ-Speedster, I don't like it either.
Just Googled it and that sure looks like the one. He had it marked down to like $799. Not for me even at that price.

And yes, I plan to take my time, giving every style consideration and some good test runs. I see many of them have weight limits of in the mid 250's + range. I was up to 255 when I finally could not take it any more. Idea for my frame is around 190 (twig legs). Back in 04' through exercise and dieting I achieved 205 down from 235 that being my highest to date then. I aim to make it as close to that 190 mark as I can before my surgery date of November 3rd, and I believe riding is going to play a large part in that. Eventually I'd going to try anf find others of like mind hoping to get involved in some less extreme rides if possible....we'll see. One thing at a time but I think it would become a good incentive is all.

The Trizard looks like a disfigured tadpole
Old 05-23-11, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should be faster at 2 1/2 to over 3 1/2 times the price.
You pretty much get what you pay for !
Old 05-23-11, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZ
You pretty much get what you pay for !
Yeah, the Mercedes salesman told me that, when he found out I bought a Lexus.
Old 05-23-11, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the Mercedes salesman told me that, when he found out I bought a Lexus.
Not sure what you were trying to say.....I own 2 Lexuses and so...your point is?! Mercedes is well known for being thoroughly unreliable with a snooty but terrible maintenance record.
But we weren't talking about cars were we? If you are trying to compare a Rover to a Greenspeed or a Catrike ....well ,that's kind of pointless.
It's like comparing farming equipment to a Lexus or a Mercedes, to use your analogy!
Old 05-23-11, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZ
Not sure what you were trying to say.....I own 2 Lexuses and so...your point is?! Mercedes is well known for being thoroughly unreliable with a snooty but terrible maintenance record.
But we weren't talking about cars were we? If you are trying to compare a Rover to a Greenspeed or a Catrike ....well ,that's kind of pointless.
It's like comparing farming equipment to a Lexus or a Mercedes, to use your analogy!
You almost got my point, you just haven't thought about it enough yet......
Old 05-23-11, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You almost got my point, you just haven't thought about it enough yet......
The point is , my good man, that just because you can only sit on a Rover, (and a Catrike, or HPVelo or Greenspeed chalenges your physical ability ), doesn't make all of those comparable....... The Rover is one step up from the Wallmart delta trike with tractor seat and a shopping basket. I am glad you enjoy yours ( at least you are getting some exercise ) but I wish you wouldn't present it to newbies as something more than the industrial strength piece of farming equipment that it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.