Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 08:29 AM
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Formula tubesets had been discontinued by the time that Superset II was released. The Reparto Corse decal became a marketing tool for Bianchi in the 1990s. It doesn't necessarily mean that it was built by Reparto Corse. It just may have been designed by them (i.e. it shares the same geometry with a Reparto Corse frame). However, your frame is Italian and sounds mid-1990s. You should post pictures. Also, determine the seat post size and verify whether it has a Columbus steerer tube, as Bianchi was starting to use other Italian tubing manufacturers around this time.
Thanks for the detail! Fork blades definitely have Columbus Custom decals but no internal rifling of the steer tube. A bit rusty, but it checks off a number of things to have a place in my collection - Italian, Columbus, shaped tubes (I love MS and Gilco for example), Celeste Bianchi, Campy's lost years!

Finally got around to converting images - I hate the new iPhone image format!

I also made two new Bianchi posts to my blog last night... some 1993 ads, and a translation of a Minimax review from 1993. Enjoy...

https://rorymasini.blogspot.com/search/label/Bianchi

Bianchi dropouts?

Columbus blades at least.

BB is a bit of a rust bucket. Non drive side is a bit worse.

Pump peg.

Rusty tabs.
Old 03-07-19, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I believe that Bianchi started using that particular Campione del Mondo decal in late 1991, after they coaxed the Gatorade team of reigning world champion Gianni Bugno to switch from Moser to Bianchi. That would make it no earlier than a 1992 model, which is a pretty good fit with the mid-1990s estimate. That looks like a stamped seat lug and the BB shell is pretty basic. While is appears to be a Superest II version, it's certainly not the Superset II shell used on the high grade models during this era. This looks like a mid-1990s, mid-range model. Did you get the seat post size?
Old 03-07-19, 10:07 AM
Girardenghista

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you get the seat post size?
Yeah, sorry. 27.2. That seems to make sense, what with the lack of chrome and Bianchi dropouts. What about the weight though? Seems too light for a 57 Thron or Cromor frame and I would think an SL would get chrome (if they were even still using SL at this point). Round undersized tubes, no odd shaping other than the SSII.
Old 03-07-19, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

MS has a very unique profile and is more of an inverted raindrop rather than ovalized

H**y Crap, now that's a money shot!
Old 03-07-19, 10:19 PM
Girardenghista

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe that Bianchi started using that particular Campione del Mondo decal in late 1991, after they coaxed the Gatorade team of reigning world champion Gianni Bugno to switch from Moser to Bianchi. That would make it no earlier than a 1992 model, which is a pretty good fit with the mid-1990s estimate. That looks like a stamped seat lug and the BB shell is pretty basic. While is appears to be a Superest II version, it's certainly not the Superset II shell used on the high grade models during this era. This looks like a mid-1990s, mid-range model. Did you get the seat post size?
Here's an interesting twist... there's an EL-OS R.C. on that auction site right now with a price of $2500. It has the same lugs, same rear dropout and same "Custom" decal on the fork. Seems to be same generation of lugs and decals, etc. Granted, that one has lots of chrome, but... I'm not saying mine is EL-OS (tube measurements state otherwise), but there are a number of similarities here. The bare frame weight of mine makes me wonder though...
Old 03-28-19, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Hoping I can get some info on mine.
Old 03-28-19, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by CABELLOJO
Hoping I can get some info on mine.
Your bicycle is a 1989 Bianchi Brava. It was a lower mid-range model, 5th in a line of nine road models. Your frame was manufactured in Japan during November 1988.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-28-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Ok, thanks. Here are the pictures.....

Last edited by CABELLOJO; 04-01-19 at 07:35 AM. Reason: PICTURES
Old 04-26-19, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help identifying

SN is KS430537
Old 05-14-19, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!

A friend, and bike mechanic, recently gave me an old frame that had lain around the shop for a long time. I'm planning to build it up, probably as a singlespeed. I would just like to find out as much as I can about the frame, such as the model and year or range of years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has a serial number stamped into the bottom bracket, KS548867, and a lone 8 stamped below that. It also has "Bianchi" stamped into the rear dropouts. The headbadge and the Bianchi logos are the only decals left on it.

Thanks!

(Edit: I will post images after I have made 10 posts here.)
Old 05-15-19, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Samsung
SN is KS430537
Your frame was manufactured in Japan during November 1984 and therefore would be a 1985 model. Unfortunately the S/N dies not incorporate a code for the model of bicycle.
Old 05-15-19, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SocraticTroll
Hi!

A friend, and bike mechanic, recently gave me an old frame that had lain around the shop for a long time. I'm planning to build it up, probably as a singlespeed. I would just like to find out as much as I can about the frame, such as the model and year or range of years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has a serial number stamped into the bottom bracket, KS548867, and a lone 8 stamped below that. It also has "Bianchi" stamped into the rear dropouts. The headbadge and the Bianchi logos are the only decals left on it.

Thanks!

(Edit: I will post images after I have made 10 posts here.)
Your frame was manufactured in Japan during November 1985 and is therefore a 1986 model. Based on the S/N info, in conjunction with the Ice Blue colour and presence of down tube shift lever bosses, your frame is from a 1986 Bianchi Premio. The Premio was 12th of 14 models in Bianchi's 1986 road line.

The frame's main tubes are an unspecified Tange double butted CrMo (chromium-molybdenum) steel mated to lower grade Tange Mangalloy (carbon-manganese) stays and forks. The frame is built to Superset configuration, meaning that the down tube and chain stays use heavier gauge tubing to increase bottom bracket stiffness. Given the era, the main tubes are probably a combination of Tange's seamed 900 and 1000 sets. Pic assist...

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-15-19 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Pic assist
Old 05-15-19, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your frame was manufactured in Japan during November 1985 and is therefore a 1986 model. Based on the S/N info, in conjunction with the Ice Blue colour and presence of down tube shift lever bosses, your frame is from a 1986 Bianchi Premio. The Premio was 12th of 14 models in Bianchi's 1986 road line.

The frame's main tubes are an unspecified Tange double butted CrMo (chromium-molybdenum) steel mated to lower grade Tange Mangalloy (carbon-manganese) stays and forks. The frame is built to Superset configuration, meaning that the down tube and chain stays use heavier gauge tubing to increase bottom bracket stiffness. Given the era, the main tubes are probably a combination of Tange's seamed 900 and 1000 sets. Pic assist...
Thank you so much! I'm amazed you can figure out so much from that SN. Is there a place you looked it up?

And, you're right about it being a Premio! I didn't notice it out in the sun, but when I got it indoors and took a closer look, there is pretty light "Premio" on both sides of the top tube.

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-19, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SocraticTroll
Thank you so much! I'm amazed you can figure out so much from that SN. Is there a place you looked it up?

And, you're right about it being a Premio! I didn't notice it out in the sun, but when I got it indoors and took a closer look, there is pretty light "Premio" on both sides of the top tube.

Thanks again!
Private Message sent.
Old 05-27-19, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Hello!

I have a Bianchi frame I'm curious about. I was thinking its a Squadra, based on some of the components. But I found an '87 catalog and it showed the Limited with similar spec. It came into the local coop as a donation and not a complete bike.

It was repainted or powder coated at some point. I was thinking it was done very well because there isn't a single bit of old paint anywhere. No over spray, tiny bits on any threads, nothing. I initially thought I should find some Celeste over spray but the Limited comes in black and that's the color it is.

I've started stripping it and I'm no where near done, so it looks pretty rough. There were also no decals when I started.

The serial number on the under side of the bottom bracket is 19919 on the drive side and 0 6 or 9 0 (depending on your direction) on the non drive side.

The seat tube measurement is between 26.8 and 27.0. I'm having trouble getting an accurate measurement. I think there's some build up from the stripper in there. I'll have to do finish the job and get an accurate measurement.

The frame dropouts are Gipiemme. Its hard to tell with the fork dropouts. The powder coating is thick. I can see some letters but I can't make them out.

The components it had were:

The bottom bracket is Italian. 36x24t, Shimano with date code of KF, 1986 June.

The headset is a black Stronglight Delta with needle bearings, threaded obviously.

The brake calipers are Shimano 600 Br-6208 also with the date code KF.

The down tube shifter was some Dura Ace lever, definitely not original.

There were no wheels, stem, handlebar, brake levers, or cranks for other clues.

As I said earlier, I initially thought it was a Squadra but now I'm leaning towards the Limited. The seat stays have what I think is referred to as 'Biachi Caps'? which is mentioned in the catalog. I don't know what the Squadra fork looks like but the Limited should have an investment cast fork crown.

Are there any other clues I've missed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I typed all that up and took a bunch of pics but I've mostly just been a spectator and haven't posted anything. So, I'll make some posts and upload pics
Old 05-28-19, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by gil_00000
Hello!

I have a Bianchi frame I'm curious about. I was thinking its a Squadra, based on some of the components. But I found an '87 catalog and it showed the Limited with similar spec. It came into the local coop as a donation and not a complete bike.

It was repainted or powder coated at some point. I was thinking it was done very well because there isn't a single bit of old paint anywhere. No over spray, tiny bits on any threads, nothing. I initially thought I should find some Celeste over spray but the Limited comes in black and that's the color it is.

I've started stripping it and I'm no where near done, so it looks pretty rough. There were also no decals when I started.

The serial number on the under side of the bottom bracket is 19919 on the drive side and 0 6 or 9 0 (depending on your direction) on the non drive side.

The seat tube measurement is between 26.8 and 27.0. I'm having trouble getting an accurate measurement. I think there's some build up from the stripper in there. I'll have to do finish the job and get an accurate measurement.

The frame dropouts are Gipiemme. Its hard to tell with the fork dropouts. The powder coating is thick. I can see some letters but I can't make them out.

The components it had were:

The bottom bracket is Italian. 36x24t, Shimano with date code of KF, 1986 June.

The headset is a black Stronglight Delta with needle bearings, threaded obviously.

The brake calipers are Shimano 600 Br-6208 also with the date code KF.

The down tube shifter was some Dura Ace lever, definitely not original.

There were no wheels, stem, handlebar, brake levers, or cranks for other clues.

As I said earlier, I initially thought it was a Squadra but now I'm leaning towards the Limited. The seat stays have what I think is referred to as 'Biachi Caps'? which is mentioned in the catalog. I don't know what the Squadra fork looks like but the Limited should have an investment cast fork crown.

Are there any other clues I've missed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I typed all that up and took a bunch of pics but I've mostly just been a spectator and haven't posted anything. So, I'll make some posts and upload pics
What you have is a 1987 model manufactured in late 1986. The Gipiemme dropouts, in conjunction with the absence of a front derailleur hanger, indicates a Formula II frame. Based on the fork crown it is not the frame used on the Campione d'Italia or Squadra, which used the Aelle fork. Rather it is the full Formula II frame used on the Trofeo, Nuovo Alloro and Limited. However, the Shimano New 600EX components are correct for a Limited and even the date codes would be appropriate. It almost certainly was originally configured as a Limited.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-28-19 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Photograph assist
Old 05-28-19, 05:39 PM

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
What you have is a 1987 model manufactured in late 1986. The Gipiemme dropouts, in conjunction with the absence of a front derailleur hanger, indicates a Formula II frame. Based on the fork crown it is not the frame used on the Campione d'Italia or Squadra, which used the Aelle fork. Rather it is the full Formula II frame used on the Trofeo, Nuovo Alloro and Limited. However, the Shimano New 600EX components are correct for a Limited and even the date codes would be appropriate. It almost certainly was originally configured as a Limited.
Thanks T-Mar!
Old 06-01-19, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Boardwalk Identification Help

On the bottom bracket, there is the number displayed as H1C53347. Any help is well appreciated! Nothing on the frame displays "made in Italy" but the rims are made in Japan, ARYA 700c PX-45.
Old 06-02-19, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jfelts0424
On the bottom bracket, there is the number displayed as H1C53347. Any help is well appreciated! Nothing on the frame displays "made in Italy" but the rims are made in Japan, ARYA 700c PX-45.
The frame of your Bianchi Boardwalk was manufactured in March 1991 by Hodaka of Taiwan. Consequently, it will be a 1991 model.
Old 06-08-19, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does my serial number mean ?

HI all, please help me with this Bianchi model ? I need help identifying this Bianchi Rekord 842 12 V. When was it made and is it ITALIAN ? its number 1L21944. ?? How does one read this ? Also all stickers are decals. Is this normal ? the dropout is Gipiemme if that helps with the year of make ? Also i cant seem to see any down-tube shifting holes on the down-tube but there are external break holders on the top tube. Anyone know why that could be ? @T-Mar do you have an explanation possibly ?

I

Last edited by JerryBerry; 06-08-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 12:35 PM

Bikes: 2017 Yeti SB5, 2017 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1980s Japanese "Super_"?

Hello all, contemplating my first vintage, or maybe neo-vintage project. Would love some help with ID of this particular frame, and suggestions on component spec.

Questions:
1. Can you ID exact model and year?
2. Anyone know with certainty the seatpost size? Definitely smaller than 27.2mm, but I measure anywhere between 26.5 and 26.8.
3. Exact headset and crown race size? The crown race currently on the fork is wrong size. Seems to be 1" steer tube but with a step out at bottom?
4. What are your thoughts on finish? I thought about repainting vs. stripping to a bare finish.

What I know:
- Made in Japan and Piaggio stickers suggest maybe Ishiwata tubing?
- S/N on bottom bracket = MH08461
- Rear spacing is 120mm, dropouts are stamped Shimano-*something*
- Fork spacing is 100mm, dropouts are stamped Tange-*something*
- Only model sticker I can read is "Super..." on both sides of top tube
- BB is BSA threaded (the bottom bracket partially installed was just to verify the threading and not original)
- I don't have any original components, acquired it as a frame/fork only

Pics attached, thanks for any help!
Edit: Can't post pics yet, album is here:
photos.app.goo.gl/gF6Baf7JLPRM7sGH7
Old 06-08-19, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JerryBerry
HI all, please help me with this Bianchi model ? I need help identifying this Bianchi Rekord 842 12 V. When was it made and is it ITALIAN ? its number 1L21944. ?? How does one read this ? Also all stickers are decals. Is this normal ? the dropout is Gipiemme if that helps with the year of make ? Also i cant seem to see any down-tube shifting holes on the down-tube but there are external break holders on the top tube. Anyone know why that could be ? @T-Mar do you have an explanation possibly ?
Based on the frame features in conjunction with the serial number, your frame was manufactured in Italy during 1981, though it could be late enough in the year to be a 1982 model. Given the era, the absence of shift lever bosses suggests a very low mid-range model. I'm also surprised to see male bottle studs.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-08-19 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-08-19, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lukedunk
Hello all, contemplating my first vintage, or maybe neo-vintage project. Would love some help with ID of this particular frame, and suggestions on component spec.

Questions:

1. Can you ID exact model and year?

2. Anyone know with certainty the seatpost size? Definitely smaller than 27.2mm, but I measure anywhere between 26.5 and 26.8.

3. Exact headset and crown race size? The crown race currently on the fork is wrong size. Seems to be 1" steer tube but with a step out at bottom?

4. What are your thoughts on finish? I thought about repainting vs. stripping to a bare finish.

What I know:

- Made in Japan and Piaggio stickers suggest maybe Ishiwata tubing?

- S/N on bottom bracket = MH08461

- Rear spacing is 120mm, dropouts are stamped Shimano-*something*

- Fork spacing is 100mm, dropouts are stamped Tange-*something*

- Only model sticker I can read is "Super..." on both sides of top tube

- BB is BSA threaded (the bottom bracket partially installed was just to verify the threading and not original)

- I don't have any original components, acquired it as a frame/fork only

Pics attached, thanks for any help!

Edit: Can't post pics yet, album is here:

photos.app.goo.gl/gF6Baf7JLPRM7sGH7

The frame is not from Bianchi's prime Japanese contractor during the Piaggio era. The decals suggest circa 1982-1983. The only Bianchi I'm aware of, that used vertical dropouts during this period was the Ranndonneur but it had cantilever studs. Unless the cinch slot is notably pinched that's a very small seat post diameter for an Ishiwata tubeset. Given the Tange fork dropouts and atypical contractor, it may be Tange, as a 26.6mm post was typical for Tange #1 , #2 , #3 and #5 . The frame serial number, features and Tange suggest the manufacturer may be Tsunoda.
Old 06-08-19, 08:26 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
possible Canadian, budget model Bianchi

I just purchased this bike and I'm eager to learn what it is. Year, model, Canadian market?
Serial number CS304982.
Hubs and drive train are Golden Arrow.
Wheels/tires are 27x1-1/4"
brakes are Dia-Compe
Saddle, seatpost, bars, stem I'm sure have all been changed.
It has a kickstand mounting plate! Weighs nearly 25lbs. Rides nicely.
Seatpost diameter = 26.4mm.

Last edited by Insidious C.; 06-08-19 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 06:24 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
The downtube decals look like replacements to me. A kickstand plate and the weight likely points to something like a '83ish Sport SS. Mangalloy frame and fork, looks nice and clean, should be a great rider.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.