Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whoever makes Pedro's brand products is stupid

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Whoever makes Pedro's brand products is stupid

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Company was started making lube and tire levers a while back by two young guys. It was named after a mutual friend; Pedro.

Not sure if Pedro got royalties or equity for his name.

Grew it over the years into a broadly distributed, diversified accessories company. One of the most recognized brands in the cycling industry. Sold to larger company for undisclosed amount that was unquestionably substantial.

Yeah, these guys are really stupid.

-Z
Well said.

DTrain you would have a point only if the products were crap, the company had folded and the brand faded into oblivion. Apparently not!

Just look at the strange brands in the pro cycling peloton, in formula 1 etc - never had a problem if you're top notch! (How could you possible shop at Ahold, drop your precious money at a Rabobank while wearing Assos)

Also, if 'Pedro' sounds 'funny', what's so great about 'Campagnolo'? (unless it's that good feeling from having spent over $2K on 8-10 bicycle parts)
Old 09-24-05, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Pedro's" is a brilliant name. It makes an impression on one because it has no obvious link to the products made or sold. Hence, when I first started mountain biking in college in the early 1990s, I used certain Pedro's products, along with other brands. When I got back into cycling after a five-year hiatus (roadie now) several years ago, I remembered the name right away (sort of like "Oh yeah -- I had some of their grease back then, it seemed to work fine!") and got more of their stuff for maintenance. The other stuff, "Tri-Flow," "Finish Line," etc., I can't remember if I used it or not, though I probably did at some point or another. I have some of their products now too. However, nothing about them prompts the immediate brand recognition that is "Pedro's."

This reminds me -- on a slightly collateral note -- of a business school professor at NYU my sister-in-law had several years ago who proclaimed that the old VW "Driver's Wanted" ads were terrible, and contrasted it with (his ideal) of the BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine." If her story is true, the professor completely missed the point that the slogan promotes an image to a target market. Calling a VW Golf the "Ultimate Driving Machine," or anything similar is laughable, as it most certainly is a nice driving little car, but certainly not the "ultimate" at anything. "Driver's Wanted" is obviously targeted to a youth market (possibly newly out of school and on the job market ("Help Wanted," anyone?), is somewhat quirky in its syntax, and makes it seem like the car itself wants a driver ("Hey, I'm a driver!"). Its a nice fit, and those ads were quite successful. I guess that's why he's teaches rather than making the big bucks doing.

In other words, sometimes you have to leave the marketing to the ad wizards themselves. Pedro's seems to do just fine.
Old 09-24-05, 04:50 PM
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with the name.

Good products.

You're weird.
Old 09-24-05, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Seven Resolute SLX, Gary Fischer ExCal

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea such a stupid name. Like that other brand, Mercxyxxxkscs or whatever. So many damned letters from the end of the alphabet. Foriegn names should be barred from being brand names. Pinarello.. uh, whatever! And Le Mond. sheesh. stupid French.
Old 09-24-05, 05:11 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucien2
yea such a stupid name. Like that other brand, Mercxyxxxkscs or whatever. So many damned letters from the end of the alphabet. Foriegn names should be barred from being brand names. Pinarello.. uh, whatever! And Le Mond. sheesh. stupid French.
I thought the one thing more stupid was posting this thread in the first place. I was wrong. The response above wins the sweepstakes.
Old 09-24-05, 05:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDTrain
I'm just saying you got cool sounding brands, then you got Pedro's.

You don't see how their name is not smart business wise?
actually, since that movie entered mainstream lore, I've found that people will get very excited about Pedro's products but not at all excited about this "Colnago" business.
Old 09-24-05, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Seven Resolute SLX, Gary Fischer ExCal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmw
I thought the one thing more stupid was posting this thread in the first place. I was wrong. The response above wins the sweepstakes.
Sorry, I thought I pre-loaded it with enough bald sarcasm to be obvious to all but those completely lacking the needed receptors.
Old 09-24-05, 06:39 PM
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Especially with such a stupid name.

I'm sure I'm not to only one. Who else here has considered buying Pedro's brand products and then got something else because of the name? They losing tons of moolah because of their ******** name!
Do you have some kind of subconscious racist attitude towards hispanic names?

I'm sure people told Gary Fisher when he first started making bikes, that it would be silly to put his name on the downtube of the bikes. "Why don't you give the company a real name?"

Seemed to work fine for him now, he's doing quite well financially

I can name a lot of people who use their name instead of a made-up company name on bikes. (Including those who've sold their name to a big company like Trek, and continue to work as a tech advisor)

gary fisher
bontrager
lemond
haro
brodie
chris king (would you rather it be called "Really nice Expensive Headsets Inc." ?

MERCKX
Old 09-24-05, 07:07 PM
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So now the token "you're a racist" reply. Just greeeeat!

I got nothing against hispanic names. But Pedro is just BAD name for a product in any language. Masi, Derosa, good hispanic names, or good italian, I don't know which.

Like Bob's store here in MA, that's horrible name for a recreational clothing chain. What about Raymond's or Mike's, bad names for brands!
Old 09-24-05, 07:09 PM

Bikes: lemond zurch, felt f55 '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
Do you have some kind of subconscious racist attitude towards hispanic names?

I'm sure people told Gary Fisher when he first started making bikes, that it would be silly to put his name on the downtube of the bikes. "Why don't you give the company a real name?"

Seemed to work fine for him now, he's doing quite well financially

I can name a lot of people who use their name instead of a made-up company name on bikes. (Including those who've sold their name to a big company like Trek, and continue to work as a tech advisor)

gary fisher
bontrager
lemond
haro
brodie
chris king (would you rather it be called "Really nice Expensive Headsets Inc." ?

MERCKX
shut up walrus. He's 16! it has nothing to do with racism. He thinks Masi is hispanic!
Old 09-24-05, 07:10 PM

Bikes: C-Dale R200, Univega Gran Premio (fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil Wood and Chris King. Pedro's cousins with the sweet hookups. As in the best hubs and headsets around.
Old 09-24-05, 07:26 PM
JOCP Lives!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so Masi isn't hispanic. We learn something new every day.
Old 09-24-05, 07:34 PM
Flowbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S
What about Raymond's or Mike's, bad names for brands!

Out in this neck of the woods we have Ray's supermarkets, where one can buy some of Mike's hard lemonade.

Huh, who'd a thunk...
Old 09-24-05, 07:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DTrain still rules
Old 09-24-05, 07:59 PM
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Instead of Masi maybe Fellini meant "asa nisi masa."
Old 09-24-05, 08:16 PM
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey is this a good time to talk about my pedro's cycling cap?

But who gives a ****. Is it any worse then a Scott bike? Or a Lemond bag? Or Paul hubs?
Old 09-24-05, 08:19 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Who would buy a lubricant made by Pedro?
I would...I have a bottle of this sitting next to my front door right now. It's incredibly nice stuff if you ride your bike in all kinds of weather. Given I wouldn't have anything on my bike that says Pedro's, as I wouldn't have anything that is an obvious first name, unless it is "Steve's" (My name is Stephen...so I'm cool with that). However tools....I'm more of a park fan myself, but I see nothing wrong with their stuff at all....actually their dice grips are quite nice.

Old 09-24-05, 08:52 PM
JOCP Lives!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
DTrain still rules
Thanks ziggy.

So I guess this means I have your vote for the most insightful poster award on bf?
Old 09-24-05, 09:00 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedro Martinez left the Red Sox when he heard DTrain didn't like the name.
Old 09-24-05, 09:30 PM
Don't worry about it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone needs to start up a kidsbikeforum.com for stupid posts like this.
Old 09-24-05, 10:20 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bauerthis
Someone needs to start up a kidsbikeforum.com for stupid posts like this.

even better yet....we can have a kiddie corral: https://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 (warning, potentially not worksafe content, and the link may be seizure inducing)
Old 09-24-05, 10:27 PM
hello

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
We're dealing with a kid here.....TheDTrain that is...
Old 09-24-05, 10:29 PM

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newberry
What about Phil? Lots of bike stuff is named after someone, it's a cruel world....
Old 09-24-05, 10:39 PM
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consumers tend to be quite forgiving of funny sounding names, if the name is taken from a founder (or even if it's just an imagined founder). Dr. Peppers, Ferrari, Sony. The first one sounds like a joke, and I'm sure the second two sounded weird to American ears when they first became known, but they were hardly unsuccessful.

If you don't like the word "Pedro", then it's probably just you. I don't like the word "Colnago", but that's just because of the font the manufactuer uses, and don't expect other people to agree with me.
Old 09-24-05, 10:45 PM
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This product has two first names and I won't touch it because the brand name sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.