Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

International Redux

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

International Redux

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
One impressive aspect of this rework is that it looks like it happened besides the planning in under 6 weeks with shipping. That shows no slouching.
Old 12-24-16, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Then your path is clear, get to it!

Originally Posted by hilltowner
I've got the same year Internat'l hanging in the alcove in the connector between our house and barn. I picked it up used from the original owner in '77 when he needed cash to head out West. It was a replacement for my first Reynolds frame, a 72 Gitane TdF that had gotten stolen from the basement of the house I was in in Amherst. The Internat'l got sidelined after a succession of Itie frames came my way from my brother but I'd used it for everything from century rides, club rides, racing and touring.

The Itie frames got sidelined as well as my interest in racing waned and I spent more time touring and commuting on a repurposed Bridgestone MB-1. When a mysterious $2K showed up on a Mass. unclaimed money list attached to my name my wife said spend it on a new bike (I'd been lamenting the lack of a nice new ride). As I plumbed the depths of my consciousness for the perfect machine my mind drifted back to the Raleigh. I really like touring long distances but in the time between tours the thought of lightly loaded long rides was very appealing. What better way to do that then to get the Raleigh converted to a low-trail, 650b randonneur.

I discussed it with a friend who pointed out all of the obstacles. He was most familiar with Stephen Bilenky's conversion prices. Totaling up all of the things I thought needed to happen I realized the $2K would disappear pretty quickly. Soma was offering a discount mid-winter last year and I decided to go with a Grand Randonneur frame. It has since been built up with a VO crank and other new and old parts (the brake levers from the Internat'l among other things.) I really like the Soma and haven't regretted the decision to go with steel, randonneuring geometry for the new bike I wanted.

Seeing this conversion though has made me regret only one thing. If this had been a year earlier, these pictures would have convinced me to go with my first idea.
Old 12-24-16, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3818 Post(s)
Liked 6,752 Times in 2,626 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
One impressive aspect of this rework is that it looks like it happened besides the planning in under 6 weeks with shipping. That shows no slouching.
I was hoping to have the frame all built up by the new year, and thanks to Mark I was able to beat that by a week. It helps to have a deep reserve of parts, some just waiting for a project to appear (such as the drivetrain).
Old 12-24-16, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
The deep reserve is key, I just finished a rough 78 Super Course for my sons Xmas/bday that needed a lot that I had all in stock. Stiill went to the co-op for an original Raleigh FD, avoided several trips and got it done.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I was hoping to have the frame all built up by the new year, and thanks to Mark I was able to beat that by a week. It helps to have a deep reserve of parts, some just waiting for a project to appear (such as the drivetrain).