Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much of your own wrenching do yo do?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: How much of your own wrenching can (and do) you do on your own bike?
My LBS fixes flats for me.
2.34%
I'll fix flats, anything that involves actually messing with the bike I leave to the pros
3.38%
I handle my own basic adjustments, mount accessories, and do routine maintenance myself.
14.81%
I can pretty much do anything that doesn't require special tools like bottom brackets and headsets.
28.83%
I can totally strip my bike down to the bare frame and put it back together.
30.65%
I can do virtually any mechanical task on my bike and I also build my own wheels.
17.66%
I welded*- the @#$% frame myself.
2.34%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

How much of your own wrenching do yo do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 11:57 AM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As soon as I learn to TIG weld, my Jedi bike skillz will be complete.
Old 08-30-08, 01:33 PM

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I do everything myself except for building wheels. Anything I don't know how to do I learn and acquire the special tools for.
Old 08-30-08, 02:43 PM
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is just for buying parts and accessories that I'll install.

I do think everyone should learn to at least change a flat and make adjustments to their seat post, handlebars, and stem. It seems silly to me to pay m LBS for that basic a service.
Old 08-30-08, 02:44 PM
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
As soon as I learn to TIG weld, my Jedi bike skillz will be complete.
Jedis braze, siths TIG weld.
Old 08-30-08, 03:30 PM
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It starts when you are young...

Old 08-30-08, 03:34 PM
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can do basic stuff but would love to be able to do more if I had the time to learn properly. Anything major that I've attempted usually ended up in a big mess, and me bringing the bike to the LBS to have a pro get it together again.

It costs money..sure.. but I hardly drive (Last fill-up was in April), I_like_to_bike is an idiot, I don't smoke, don't gamble..etc. so why not? I live in a small town and the people in the shop are very kind. Mechanics are cool as well!

They appreciate the business and I'm fortunate enough to be able to easily afford to have my bikes serviced.
Old 08-30-08, 03:36 PM
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah? Adults like me are fully capable of rounding off nuts with adjustable wrenches as well.
Old 08-30-08, 03:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've built a bare frame into a complete bike and have all the tools to do the job. I've never built a wheel, although I've replaced spokes and can true one up unless it's really taco'd...

Like an earlier poster, I've found several bike shops to be indifferent and unprofessional (They won't call you when something's been repaired, the work quality is poor-to-fair, and unless you buy new from them you're not one of the 'family). I'm actually easygoing about most stuff and it's taken me years to develop this negative attitude. But it's caused me to buy my own tools, learn basic bike mechanics, and save a lot of money purchasing bikes and parts on the 'net.

I now live in a semi-rural area and the nearest bike shop (about ten miles) fits the above description to a "T". I have a wife and three teenage kids who all ride regularly... Together we have eight bikes. I could do a good volume of business at ****** Cyclery, but find that it's not worth the grief.

Sorry for the rant... I feel much better now.
Old 08-30-08, 04:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikinpolitico
Jedis braze, siths TIG weld.
You took the word right outta my mouf.
Old 08-30-08, 04:32 PM
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thus far, i've done everything. found my match today, though. I'm going to take my rear wheel to have it rebuilt, the hub is shot. i don't have a truing stand, so it's off to my mech. I've had to stop going to one LBS in town, they got quite bent out of shape when i said "no, i like working on my own bike, i just needed parts, thanks".
Old 08-30-08, 05:10 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I do have an LBS in town that I trust implicitly, but I don't much need them and I do generally strive for independence. I have no qualms about referring anyone to them, except they charge a lot for geegaws. Parts not so much, but everything else starts around list price and goes up from there. I feel bad that they apparently need to do that to stay afloat. I wonder if they'd make up lost margin w/ volume if they dialed their prices back but I don't know how their overhead goes. There is another shop in town that is on financially sounder footing but their work is indifferent. The owner/head guy is stellar but he's not likely to be the one doing any actual work you need.
Old 08-30-08, 05:37 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I did on occasion do things like adjust hub bearings, route cables, true wheels, straighten out bent derailleurs (a lot of luck involved in the success of the last two!) I don't particularly love doing all that, but I've had too many misses at the LBSs. If you want a job done well...
Old 08-30-08, 06:45 PM
Ready to Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll fix my flats to get me rolling again - otherwise I'm lazy and let the shop do it.
Old 08-30-08, 07:34 PM

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everything short of metal joining, spray work and BB and headset facing.
Old 08-30-08, 07:44 PM
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prior to 2000, a bike was a tool, a utility object, equally serviceable for my needs whether an LBS model or big-box; in other words, I was an unititiated idiot. I kinda fell into the 'bike assembler' thing for my employer.

The guy who trained me, I still work with; he now will admit that there are skills I have that he doesn't, and it's all because of the passion for bikes he fanned into life.

In 2003, I bought my first 'premium' bike, a $700 online special; a mistake in itself, but the foundation for pursuing more quality and excellence. Since then, I have handbuilt, from the frame up, five bikes; three for myself, two for family members. The price for my own has steadily risen, and will likely do so again, although I am near the top of what I consider acceptable.

In 2004, I won a free toolkit from a magazine, so the only tools I had to buy since then have been the multi-tool I carry in my pack, and the external BB tool.

Haven't yet built a wheel, but I have replaced spokes, the first step. With some resources I've found, I can locate the proper spoke size(s) I need to do so. Soon as I buy a rim, I'll likely go for it. (Have a good hub, needed for a disc set)
Old 08-30-08, 08:26 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by urban_assault

My youngest daughter is 8...

Old 08-30-08, 09:09 PM
Gaeilgeoir

Bikes: 2003 Giant Iguana (ONCE yellow), '86 Team Fuji (Blue/Yellow), '87 Schwinn Le Tour (Frost White)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm slowly buying tools as i need them, so strictly speaking i CAN'T strip it down and rebuild it w/o borrowing or buying SOME tools. but i have done what i've needed to--repacking hubs, cassette removal, removing/replacing deraillieurs and cables, wheel truing on the bike (no stand yet). no BB's or headsets yet, but i can't wait do try it!

lotsa cleaning and degreasing! WAY too much of that!
Old 08-30-08, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I can do pretty much whatever I need, except I haven't tried building a wheel yet. I have a truing stand but no good place to mount it right now. Within the next year I hope to learn to build wheels, my own racks, and possibly frames.
Old 08-30-08, 09:42 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

LL - We need to rent out that barn...
Old 08-30-08, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
LL - We need to rent out that barn...
When I move into my house (hopefully this winter) I will have a barn and a workshop! I plan to start by building racks at first.
Old 08-30-08, 09:46 PM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can do some routine maintenance, and mounting stuff isn't a problem, but I'm still at the point of screwing up brake and derailleur adjustments.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 08-30-08, 09:53 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Lamplight
When I move into my house (hopefully this winter) I will have a barn and a workshop! I plan to start by building racks at first.
Suhweet !
Old 08-30-08, 09:57 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I let other people true my wheels other than an emergency spoke replacement, which I could do (never needed to though). I just moved and actually don't have a lot of tools with me, but I have installed headsets, bottom brackets, etcetera, so assuming I can get to the tools those are things I feel reasonably confident working on.
Old 08-30-08, 10:06 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I work as a bike mechanic and instructor at our local co-op and short of building my own frames have been doing all my own work for more than 25 years... for the longest time I usually rebuilt / tuned good existing wheels and then started building my own, built quite a few wheels for other folks, and am now getting quite a few orders to build wheels for more folks since I'm told I have a bit of a gift for this.

I have never had a wheel I built or tuned fail under normal use and have built wheels for folks that see some serious off road use and long distance touring.

Frame building is my next goal.

I won't ride a bike that I have not personally built up or completely over-hauled.

My kind of guy...
Old 08-30-08, 11:03 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Seems to me there's a broad hint going on that you may have reached 'competition status'. LBS' HATE DIY guys...all the DIY guys of the world.

Make a list of all the online stores where you can get stuff...there's a thread on the 'commuting' forums right now where people have listed various 'online stores' they consider the best. Start there. Several have no shipping charges or a reasonable purchase amount bottom line. Closeouts, clearance, etc. All kinds of deals on stuff. Ebay's gotten too commercial(except for an Ebay store called 'Build Your Bike'...they're REALLY good, fair-priced and cyclists themselves)...I'd sooner go CL and take my chances.
Time to find a better LBS. I'm blessed with several good ones... any of which is more than happy to help me find parts or tools to do a job myself. One of the shops specializes in used parts that can be hard to find... and knows all the little trivia things that all the other shops have no clue about

Like when I was looking for a rear dérailleur and none of the shops had one for my bike... my shop (which I had to go way out of my way to get to) knew that any number of modern dérailleurs would work just fine on my 7 speed bike... including a $30 one that ALL the shops had had in stock... or that 'mountain bike' parts are just fine for use on a road bike (In fact, a lot of parts labelled 'mountain bike' used to be labelled 'touring' instead... till mountain bikes became the 'in' thing)

They even talked me out of spending money on a new wheel when I didn't really need one.

The last time I was in (for the dérailleur) they came out front to check on me while I was mounting and adjusting the new dérailleur on their front sidewalk.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.