Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire bead stuck to rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire bead stuck to rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 12:55 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,326 Posts
Let the air out and see how easy it is to unseat. If, as you’ve said and from my experience, tires do stretch and become easier to mount and remove over time. Maybe leaving the wheel out in the sun might help.

John
Old 06-10-20, 08:28 PM
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Let the air out and see how easy it is to unseat. If, as you’ve said and from my experience, tires do stretch and become easier to mount and remove over time. Maybe leaving the wheel out in the sun might help.

John
I did that. As mentioned, I did a dry tubeless test setup for about 5 minutes before the tire leaked back down and I decided to throw a tube back in. I had to still use the vise to get the tire separated from the bead... it was not coming off by hand.

I've noticed that the Schwalbe Marathons are good about stretching out when wearing in. The front tire used to be a solid, tight fit on the rim. Now, I can just pull the tire off without any tools... that tire has become really loose on the rim. So loose that I have to be careful when inflating it as it likes to bulge in some areas.

Edit: I created a separate topic (w/ poll) on the tubeless subject. I'm still torn... indecisive me.

Last edited by fullergarrett; 06-10-20 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added link to poll thread.
Old 06-11-20, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Well, you should first try finding out why it was difficult to separate the tire bead from the rim seat. Did you find any adhesive on the tire or the inside of the rim?
Or do you have the rim tape stuck in between the tire and the bottom of the rim? The section drawing of the cliffhanger rim shows the bottom being a 90 degree flat horizonal surface. If the fit of the bead is very tight, and since the rim bottom is flat, if you installed full width rim tape across the entire bottom, then the fit would be even tighter because the effective seat diameter of the rim gets larger from the tape. If you're using tubes and the only sharp edges are on the spoke holes that are on the centerline of the rim, then you could try using narrower 18mm adhesive tape, like tesa 4289 strapping tape which is a similar material as some tape used for tubeless setup.
Or simply take a knife to your existing adhesive tape that is already on the rim and cut off a symmetric amount on both sides so that the center width is around 18 to 20mm and the seat area is free of tape. Then try inflating and deflating the tire and tube again to see if the tire still gets stuck.
I don't see how tubeless setup would make it any easier to remove the tire if you haven't figured out why it's getting stuck, or when it's because of the larger effective bead seat diameter due to the thickness of the tape, then since a tubeless setup requires full width tape then you might still get a stuck tire with tubeless setup.