Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Nighttime visibility concern - please help troubleshoot

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Nighttime visibility concern - please help troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Maybe I should install a pole and a disco ball.
A disco ball is actually a very poor reflector. Only the tiny portion of it where the light hits a mirror perfectly perpendicular will reflect the light back at the source. OTOH, the entire surface area of reflectorized material made using the 'corner reflector' or glass bead principles reflects light back at the source.

Last edited by prathmann; 12-08-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The driver did see you, he just thinks he's special and other drivers won't.

FWIW ankle reflectors are the most effective at communicating "there is a bike there" to drivers. Because of movement, and because the movement is not "natural", it's less likely to be dismissed as background. Wheel reflectors are like that, but obviously aren't much use for drivers ahead or behind us.
Old 12-08-17, 11:44 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Good luck figuring something out. I have two lights, one on my head which probably is pretty random in movements, and my backpack is covered in the below duct tapes, and apparently I still wasn't seen. Maybe I should install a pole and a disco ball.
Just the strobe... the disco ball would be too annoying to keep spinning.
Old 12-08-17, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Just the strobe... the disco ball would be too annoying to keep spinning.
What if I added a gear to the outside of the speed gears and a gear at the top of the pole and ran a chain? It'd spin from me pedaling. ;-)
Old 12-08-17, 05:48 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What if I added a gear to the outside of the speed gears and a gear at the top of the pole and ran a chain? It'd spin from me pedaling. ;-)
Oh man, that's worse than the old tire driven generators... and probably even uglier.

But innovative... so you get points.

Just be as bright as you can be, but keep in mind that some folks won't even see a flying cow coming right at them in broad daylight.

Take care, ride like you stole it!
Old 12-08-17, 08:17 PM
mj0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
From what I've seen while driving, ankle bands are the most noticeable. Even more than rear lights in most cases
Old 12-08-17, 08:34 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
It's not distraction, it's the weird way in which vision works. When you turn your head to move your gaze from this direction to that direction, you don't actually see everything in between. It feels like you do. But you take several snapshots, and then your brain pastes them together. If there is something narrow between the snapshots, you don't see it unless you train yourself to look for them, i.e. take narrower snapshots.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-08-17, 11:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's not distraction, it's the weird way in which vision works. When you turn your head to move your gaze from this direction to that direction, you don't actually see everything in between. It feels like you do. But you take several snapshots, and then your brain pastes them together. If there is something narrow between the snapshots, you don't see it unless you train yourself to look for them, i.e. take narrower snapshots.
Not just vision. All of our senses take in fragmentary data and the brain fills in the gaps. Think about that when listening for traffic.

However now that I've had a couple of days to think this over, DO NOT do what I did. The guy's statement was scary, scary enough that I wanted to verify I was visible. It was also my first day back at work after FMLA leave so I was tired and not thinking things through. I got off the road and stopped at the first available place to check my equipment. Which happens to be a deserted field with the only business in screaming distance having closed a couple of hours earlier. I could have been walking into an ambush. Since that is where I can get on the bike path without stopping, I either should have not stopped until I hit civilization again, or I should have continued on the road just a few hundred feet farther to the next nearest place to get on the bike path and still not stopped.
Old 12-09-17, 07:23 AM

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 332 Posts
Glo Gloves

I'll look into the ankle lights. There's two more things I've been putting off since I have a beer budget, not a champagne budget, spoke lights and some kind of reflective bands for my left arm. About six weeks ago I realized while signaling a right turn that at 11:30 at night no one could see me signaling.
They may not fit your budget, but Glo Gloves are an effective way to get a lot of reflectivity onto your hands. They are commonly used by police at night when directing traffic. Only problem is they don't last forever; the picture shows current condition of mine. They've each got about a year of daily commuting on them and I'm getting close to buying a new pair. Google "gloglov" one word.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Glo Gloves.JPG (554.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-09-17, 09:58 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts

People trust their eyes more than anything else. But they shouldn't. There's life experience here.
Old 12-10-17, 09:37 AM
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
One very real issue is that in some environments (typically urban) there are so many other competing lights. We, as drivers, have become very adept at filtering out lights that don't fit the model for conventional significance. We scan for traffic signals and vehicle lights, but pay no attention to holiday lighting. Cyclists that claim to be lit up like a Christmas tree may be seen as one and thereby ignored.

For this reason, I am an advocate of solid lights rather than blinking and a set up with multiple lights with a bit of distance between so the driver can gauge closing speed. This better matches the expectation of what the driver would scan for. Subjectively, this seems to work for me but I believe there has been some research that supports.
Old 12-10-17, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judging from last night the local traffic is quite upset that I'm back on the road, and based on when the cars that honked at me did so (3 or 4 cars) no one apparently had any problem seeing me at a safe distance. So yeah, likely that guy wasn't paying attention. Or might have been lying to try to scare me off the road.
Old 12-11-17, 05:15 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is clothing. Were you wearing something bright? That makes you look bigger than just the points of light reflecting back from your reflectors/lights. It sounds like you're doing everything else right.
These gloves are really reflective and work well for signaling in the dark, and are pretty comfortable too. They make me more visible from the front when my hands are on the handlebars too, quite a buy for $14.
Old 12-11-17, 06:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is clothing. Were you wearing something bright? That makes you look bigger than just the points of light reflecting back from your reflectors/lights. It sounds like you're doing everything else right.
These gloves are really reflective and work well for signaling in the dark, and are pretty comfortable too. They make me more visible from the front when my hands are on the handlebars too, quite a buy for $14.
We'll not talk about my clothes. Beer budget and cheap stuff is dark. That's why I chose a bright backpack and duct taped the heck out of it. I figure since it covers my back from neck to waistband it really doesn't matter what color shirt or jacket I'm wearing.
Old 12-11-17, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mj0
From what I've seen while driving, ankle bands are the most noticeable. Even more than rear lights in most cases
I agree. But I don't always want to worry about yet another clothing item to put on. So I've attached some 3M reflective tape around the lower edge of my cycling shoes. Besides being visible, this tape (or equiv. ankle band) also satisfies the California legal requirement of having either reflective pedals or reflective material on feet/ankles.
Most cycling shoes do have some kind of reflective tab but I've found most of these to be too small to provide enough visibility.
Old 12-11-17, 08:23 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Judging from last night the local traffic is quite upset that I'm back on the road, and based on when the cars that honked at me did so (3 or 4 cars) no one apparently had any problem seeing me at a safe distance. So yeah, likely that guy wasn't paying attention. Or might have been lying to try to scare me off the road.
I got the same treatment today--three car horns for apparently just being out there. WTF? Lots of a-holes out this morning, that's for sure. Takes one to know one, I guess.
Old 12-11-17, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I got the same treatment today--three car horns for apparently just being out there. WTF? Lots of a-holes out this morning, that's for sure. Takes one to know one, I guess.
The ones that get me are the oncoming traffic on the other side of the median. Do you really have to start holding your horn down when you see me and not let off until you pass me? How the heck am I causing you any problems whatsoever?
Old 12-11-17, 10:46 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I found that wheel lights that do not depend on the speed not only are very visible but also win compliments from others. I got compliments "I like your bike!" from taxi driver, old lady pedestrian, and small kid. What more could you hope for than taxi drivers' liking you? And the old lady crossing the street not being scared of you?
Old 12-11-17, 10:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I found that wheel lights that do not depend on the speed not only are very visible but also win compliments from others. I got compliments "I like your bike!" from taxi driver, old lady pedestrian, and small kid. What more could you hope for than taxi drivers' liking you? And the old lady crossing the street not being scared of you?
I've been looking at wheel lights, but every time I find something I like a lot, I read the reviews and each time there's questionable reviews. It eats batteries alive, the lights stopped working after only a few weeks, inconsistency between the two sets purchased, other manufacturer flaws, etc. So far I'm not finding anything that I like and the bulk of previous purchasers liked.
Old 12-11-17, 11:02 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I've been looking at wheel lights, but every time I find something I like a lot, I read the reviews and each time there's questionable reviews. It eats batteries alive, the lights stopped working after only a few weeks, inconsistency between the two sets purchased, other manufacturer flaws, etc. So far I'm not finding anything that I like and the bulk of previous purchasers liked.
There are always negative reviews and there always picky or dumb users. Just don't buy those that cost a fortune. I only use it on one wheel, it's this. So far, so good. May have saved my life when I ran yellow light once on a busy street.

I've learned that items on Amazon that have too good reviews, like 99% 5 starred are most likely getting fake reviews.
Old 12-11-17, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
There are always negative reviews and there always picky or dumb users. Just don't buy those that cost a fortune. I only use it on one wheel, it's this. So far, so good. May have saved my life when I ran yellow light once on a busy street.

I've learned that items on Amazon that have too good reviews, like 99% 5 starred are most likely getting fake reviews.
I did look at that one, because I remember the woman with the inconsistencies between the purple lights. Those manufacturing inconsistencies and the other top review about how the light on the daughter's bike just quit and replacing the batteries didn't fix it is what made me decide not to get them.
Old 12-12-17, 10:33 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I drive into work each morning while it is still dark. On one stretch of the drive I encounter cyclists on a fairly regular basis. I rarely have trouble seeing them from behind. The faintest light registers. Heck, just yesterday I encountered a rider without a tail light at all and had no trouble seeing him. So yeah, if drivers aren't noticing you until they almost hit you, they need to be better engaged. But we all know that there is no shortage of partially engaged drivers, so what can we reasonably do to help them? I would argue that your strategy did exactly what it was supposed to. It drew the attention of a partially engaged driver before it was too late.
Old 12-12-17, 11:06 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
We'll not talk about my clothes. Beer budget and cheap stuff is dark. That's why I chose a bright backpack and duct taped the heck out of it. I figure since it covers my back from neck to waistband it really doesn't matter what color shirt or jacket I'm wearing.
Well if you get a chance to try gloves like the ones I recommended I think you'll be impressed. Several of us are using them and I'm still pleasantly surprised at the reactions I get when I signal with them after dark.

I also used lightweights on my spokes. I'm unsure how well they work, but I figure anything that makes me look bigger and more visible can't be bad.
Old 12-12-17, 03:47 PM

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
The ones that get me are the oncoming traffic on the other side of the median. Do you really have to start holding your horn down when you see me and not let off until you pass me? How the heck am I causing you any problems whatsoever?

I have had that happen to me too. I guess that means they saw me on the road, so there's that.

Old 12-12-17, 04:50 PM

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy who cycles in all weather before dark on my drive to the highway from my house (headed to Detroit- not gonna bike 42 miles or more if I skipped the highway route), who has a blinker on his bike AND on his hat. I'll be honest there are times I see the hat from the other side of the median in the winter and it reminds me that when I pull the U turn I'll have to watch for him, which is nice, but there are also times when I KNOW he'll be through the next light by the time I make that turn and get there, but the light is almost too bright and distracting from the traffic on my side I should be paying attention to (MI right- so I turn right out of my street, go down to the U turn, then turn left on the other side)... he's always going down the far side. I'm also VERY wary of him when it's SNOWING which I have seen him out in.. I can't imagine doing any bike in heavy snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.