Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek Checkpoint AL vs OCLV

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Isospeed and 230 grams are not the only differences between the Checkpoint SL and AL

The SL has BB90 bottom bracket while the AL has BB86.

Different cassettes - HG800 vs HG700.

Seatmast on the carbon version vs traditional seatpost on the aluminum version.

Somewhat better tires - Schwalbe G-One Allaround TL-Easy vs non-TL-Easy.

The seatmast on the carbon version is a deal breaker for me personally.

-Tim-
230g is the difference in framesets only, so the BB and seatmast are the only differences.

Possibly the seatmast is needed for the Isospeed setup?
Old 10-15-18, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
If Isospeed is the real deal, having it on an alloy frame probably would be worth paying extra for by anyone who didn't believe tires wider than 25s were fast enough.
Old 10-15-18, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Trek doesn't really care about aluminum as they only have 1 type while Cannondale has two. Go ride a Cannondale with their top of the line aluminum and then ride a Trek carbon bike of the same price. You will be like wth.

I bet not even the top of the line carbon checkpoint will be as smooth as the slate with the fork locked out.
Old 10-21-18, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
First day with the SL 5. Waiting on another Brooks C17 carved to arrive (so I don't have to swap saddles with my Niner RLT). I didn't want a red bike and despite lengthy rides with the battleship grey I decided on the white, despite being considered the women's model. It's a 56cm (largest size) and came with a 100mm stem which was replaced with a 90mm stem. I've got a compact/short reach flared bar on my Niner that I absolutely love so I'm still dialing in the fit. Will probably just end up buying that bar, although my first time with the Iso Zone bar from Trek and I don't hate it. Especially considering I don't ride with gloves. Definitely noticeable performance when riding with my hands directly over the cushions.

I figured I'd give the Ajna Comp a go on the first ride for the hell of it and that was a big "no" on comfort. I certainly didn't expect to like it but figured I'd try it once to say that I did.

Other than that I'm not aware of any WSD-specific elements. The bars are 42cm and the crank arms are 172.5mm. It's pretty much just a different color. There isn't even WSD branding like on the Domane.

Nice surprise to get a free upgrade to Ultegra levers and calipers. Apparently that's been a thing on several 105 factory equipped bikes, due to what appears to be a shortage of 105 parts. I made sure to confirm with the Trek that I wasn't getting the R505s for resale value alone. I typically only ride a bike for a season or two.

Jury is still out on whether or not I like it better than my Niner RLT 9 Steel. I've got a big ride planned for it next weekend but wanted a weekend to get some shakedown work done. I'm a bigger dude so I've already been fiddling with spokes on the wheels (after less than 50 miles). But that's par for the course on these wheels.

I definitely like the more robust seat post/mast sleeve.

Old 10-21-18, 08:36 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
Other than that I'm not aware of any WSD-specific elements. The bars are 42cm and the crank arms are 172.5mm. It's pretty much just a different color. There isn't even WSD branding like on the Domane.
My SL5 is the white WSD like yours. There is nothing WSD-specific, other than the saddle. Ditto with the ALR5.
Old 10-21-18, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet
My SL5 is the white WSD like yours. There is nothing WSD-specific, other than the saddle. Ditto with the ALR5.
It appears that the standover height is a touch lower on the like-for-like size across the models. Finding the spot on the SL 5 (battleship grey) that measured about 81cm from the ground, I can confirm that my frame is a touch lower at 79.5-80cm.

That was the only geo-difference I saw on Trek's site. Did your bike also come with Ultegra?
Old 10-21-18, 04:45 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It appears that the standover height is a touch lower on the like-for-like size across the models. Finding the spot on the SL 5 (battleship grey) that measured about 81cm from the ground, I can confirm that my frame is a touch lower at 79.5-80cm.

That was the only geo-difference I saw on Trek's site. Did your bike also come with Ultegra?
I missed that difference. My mistake. From what I had seen, I thought the geometry was all the same between the SL5 and ALR5.

My bike did not come with Ultegra. It was one that had been hanging around a shop for several months.
Old 11-02-18, 04:49 PM

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I own the Checkpoint ALR 4 and I love it, The bike feels as smooth as my rigid 29er with a Niner RDO fork and 2.4 tires on the local dirt roads, it's only worse riding when it gets very rocky. And I'm running the stock Kenda Flintridge 35c tires with inner tubes. Once I move to wider tires setup tubeless It should be even smoother. The only upgrade I did so far is replace the stock handlebar with a Salsa Cowchipper 2.
Likes For MAGAIVER:
Old 01-14-20, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
My SL5 in a 56cm with a 10mm offset 135mm seat mast cap, interestingly, in aluminum. I don't see that part available aftermarket (I suspect it's probably on Dexter, though).

I'm a fan, I disliked the carbon on carbon. As a bigger guy I had occasional slippage on rough roads even with carbon paste.

I've flown (in a travel case) with a Domane 5-series a dozen or so times and the seat mast has never been an issue. I agree though that it's an area of significant concern whenever i travel. I strongly considered an ALR model for this reason alone as I intended to travel with my Checkpoint via air at least a few times a year. But I'll roll the dice.
What case are you using? I have a 58cm with the integrated post / mast and it seems a bit too tall for every compact bag / case.

FWIW for the larger question... I have an SL carbon Checkpoint, an ALR Emonda, and had a Crockett.... If I did it again, I'd just get the ALR Checkpoint. Unless you're on 23c road tires at 100psi, the ISO thingie doesn't do much. My Emonda and Crockett with a nice flexy seatpost and bars, ride the same as the Checkpoint - the Crockett (2014 model) was brutal as delivered with road tires. The ALR frame is pretty nice, and I feel if you're going to get the bike dirty or go on long rides in rural areas it has a few nicer details than the AL frameset.