Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

touring, campgrounds and bears

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

touring, campgrounds and bears

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some places bears have learned how to get whatever you hang! In the Adirondack Mountains, if you camp you are required to use an approved bear proof canister.
Wells
Old 05-04-07, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I'm in a developed campground that doesn't have bear containers, especially the ones that tell you to put your food in your trunk, I ask the camp host or a neighbor if I can put my food panniers in his/her trunk. So far it's worked.

I was in one spot that I was the only one in the campgound, the trees were too weak to hang food from, and there were no containers. I left my panniers in the bathroom overnight. (seemed gross, but it worked)

Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with a bear in the tree right overhead, eating your skittles. (Cathedral Lakes, Tuolumne) Or waking up with one nuzzling your neck while you lie in your sleeping bag with no tent (Camp 4, Yosemite). Or chasing your naked boyfriend around, because he was too lazy to hang his food, and just used it as a pillow (Lost Lake, Yosemite).... hahaha