Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Egads WalMart

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 11:55 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mmyeah..... I don't know how much good a sticker will do, in a store where I've encountered such things as a clerk who couldn't figure 10% of a round number.....

Reading is probably not their strong point. Looking is probably not their strong point..... We'll start seeing bikes now that have the handlebars held on by a sticker.....
Old 01-22-17, 12:00 PM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
.....if you take a really close look at the cheapest bikes and the kids bikes on the floors of most LBSs, they are just as trashy as the Walmart ones... it's only that they hae a better class of sticker on the frame.
And a higher price.
Old 01-22-17, 12:00 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,553 Posts
I'm pretty sure that in almost all walmarts, the assembly is done by a contract worker working on piece rates.

My daughter is a clerk at walmart. She has passed college calculus, so I am pretty sure she could calculate a percentage.
Old 01-22-17, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
You can get better value for your money. But WalMart is easy and convenient and there's no learning curve. A lot of consumers prefer that. We're all free to follow the path of our own choosing.
Old 01-22-17, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
Theres a Walmart in a city just north of me. They have a great selection of schwinn bikes there. I had the opportunity to speak to the local schwinn rep. He told me all schwinn bikes are made in the same plants with the same specs on the frame. The sub lines (other than signature line which is sold in lbs for now). have lower quality ancillary components like durailers , cables , break pads shifters etc.....but the main parts of the bike are the same mfg standards....

As other posters above and myself have said here. Its really important to take that bike home and fully check it out before riding it. I say this not because its a box store, I feel the exact same way about purchasing lbs bikes pre assembled.... I say this because at minimum you will learn your bike, know that its ready to ride and perhaps find some issues with the assembly. People are people, walmart, lbs....no difference overall...
"Main parts" being frame, fork and wheels?

I purchased my "Walmart bike" from Amazon. Same bike, but of course I had to do the assembly myself. I also went over the entire bike, to the extent of my ability and available tools. Perhaps that's why I've had so much better luck with that bike than all the horror stories would suggest.

I've also purchased bikes from Bikes Direct and Performance Bicycle. I don't know if we consider Performance to be a bike shop or big box store, but I do know that I needed to do about as much corrective work on the PB bike as on any of the others.

Last edited by wphamilton; 01-22-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 12:10 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Perhaps that's why I've had so much better luck with that bike than all the horror stories would suggest.
Another possibility is that many, if not most, of the "horror stories" on BF are generated/fabricated by people who neither own nor ride the bikes in question, but serve a personal agenda in the badmouthing of competitors' products.
Old 01-22-17, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another possibility is that many, if not most, of the "horror stories" on BF are generated/fabricated by people who neither own nor ride the bikes in question, but serve a personal agenda in the badmouthing of competitors' products.
There is a good chance that you will find a bike with a fork installed backwards or brakes installed incorrectly on a bike at Wal-Mart. You won't find that at an actual bike shop. I have seen plenty of bikes at big box stores with very loose headsets, handelbars installed upside down, forks on backwards, bent crank arms, broken spokes, etc. I am yet to find any of that an actual bike shop.
Old 01-22-17, 01:19 PM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you ever actually inspected any of the bikes on display at your local Wally World? (And bear in mind that I'm a cheap bike/BSO advocate- not a bike snob).

On every occasion on which I've taken a look at bikes in Walmart in recent years- and mind you, these are brand new bikes on display for sale- I've seen exactly the stereotypes which are oft-mentioned here- including backward forks; inoperative brakes; various parts so loose that they are flapping in the breeze; immovable shifters; loose seats, or seats adjust so ridiculously tha one could assume that they purposely set that way to drum-up business for the local proctologist.....
Old 01-22-17, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
If Wallmart made an Airplane, would you fly in it???
I hear Walmart got the contract here for Air Force 1.
Old 01-22-17, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Were the people who didn't buy Yugos back in the day just "car snobs?"
Old 01-22-17, 02:34 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
No, the Yugo owners just loved cheap and misery. Kind of below the ugliest dog contest.
Old 01-22-17, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm pretty sure that in almost all walmarts, the assembly is done by a contract worker working on piece rates.

My daughter is a clerk at walmart. She has passed college calculus, so I am pretty sure she could calculate a percentage.
There are several BF members who have assembled bikes for Walmart as staff, not contractors. Not all Walmart staff are as portrayed by the elitists.

Last edited by Rowan; 01-22-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 02:53 PM

And in fact, there are several highly regarded BF members (highly regarded for their personable-ness and intelligence) who ride Walmart bikes, and very successfully at that.

When I have been in North America, I have found quite a few things in Walmart that continue to serve me well years after buying them.

Disdain is one of the privileges of wealth, I have discovered.
Old 01-22-17, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stucky
Have you ever actually inspected any of the bikes on display at your local Wally World? (And bear in mind that I'm a cheap bike/BSO advocate- not a bike snob).

On every occasion on which I've taken a look at bikes in Walmart in recent years- and mind you, these are brand new bikes on display for sale- I've seen exactly the stereotypes which are oft-mentioned here- including backward forks; inoperative brakes; various parts so loose that they are flapping in the breeze; immovable shifters; loose seats, or seats adjust so ridiculously tha one could assume that they purposely set that way to drum-up business for the local proctologist.....
And yet... where are all those complaints about proctologist visits posted here on BFs? As far as I can see, only in the 50-plus forum where the posters would consider a Walmart bike as junk.

Yeah, sure there are problems with the assembly of some Walmart and other big box store bikes. But don't ever tell me that every bike leaves your friendly LBS in perfect condition. Now, that is a subject that comes up repeatedly in various forums here.

The vast majority of bikes sold by Walmart and similar stores are for kids who are going to treat them like crap. They aren't meant to last, they are meant to introduce the concept of cycling fun to the kids. And I am sure that there are many here on these forums in their 40s, 50s and 60s who remember riding bikes that were way, way too big for them, had no brakes, loose headsets and chains that fell off all the time... and wheels way out of true.
Old 01-22-17, 03:05 PM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I actually didn't think it was that bad of bike for a Schwinn in WalMart. It was a $250 bike with Tourney groupset. . .
It is a bit funny to me, when I lived in Xinyang, Henen Province PRC, I purchased a Giant Tourer, which was considered a good, upper mid, grade bike. It had a Tourney rear derailleur, it wasn't bad and saw quite a few touring miles. I do notice that the walmart bikes are still, generally, better than the Chinese common grade, domestic market, bicycles.
Old 01-22-17, 03:19 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had no problems buying single speed cruisers at WM. I give them the once over visual, spin the crank, check the coaster brake and look at the wheels to make sure the bearings are OK then ride up to the cashier. When they still had greeters one tried to stop me but I was in an a-hole mood and rode away to my truck. The poor guy chased me the whole way. Luckily he didn't have a heart attack.

I don't think I'd buy a geared bike or one with hand brakes there. A buddy bought mountain bike at Sports Authority and had issues with it. The frame and wheels were fine but the brakes and hubs needed constant work. Then someone gave him two 1980s mtb bikes, a Schwinn and maybe a Diamondback and he's been riding almost trouble free ever since.
Old 01-22-17, 03:26 PM
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Even though this is BMX
This guy take a Walmart bike and manages to break it within 5 mins because it wasn't put together right. The 2nd bike they go through it themselves and tighten everything up, and it actually holds up.

I worked at Walmart 15 years ago when I was out of High School. At that time they didn't care because all the bikes were sold on consignment. So if they broke they simply tossed it at no cost to them.
Old 01-22-17, 03:30 PM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
I've had no problems buying single speed cruisers at WM.
I tend to agree, after al, how can anyone mess up a single speed cruiser (Ignoring my wifes single speed cruiser in China that was actually welded wrong).

I can even recall a single incident where I actually recommended a Walmart bike to someone. I was on the bus to my University, working on my MBA. A woman sat down and as we were talking she mentioned the reason that she was riding the bus was that her car was broken down and she couldn't afford to fix it. She commented that she was saving money on the bus but that it was a three mile walk from the stop to where she worked.

I point out a particular WM bike that I had seen. It was a basic bike with a three speed internal hub, fenders and rack for about $180. Frankly, when I first saw it I was amazed to see such a good bike at WM. I mentioned it to her, in conjunction with the bike rack on the bus, as a solution.

As ridiculous as it may seem, she took my advice and was still using it when I finished my MBA and moved on (Back to China).
Old 01-22-17, 03:47 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rowan
And yet... where are all those complaints about proctologist visits posted here on BFs?
Amazing how only BF LBS groupies are aware of these products sold with such dangerous defects - where are all the dissatisfied customers and trial lawyers successfully obtaining damages from the big box stores for customers unhappy or injured by all the defective bicycles sold with very loose headsets, upside down handlebars, backwards forks, bent crank arms, broken spokes, inoperative brakes; various parts so loose that they are flapping in the breeze; immovable shifters; loose seats, or seats adjust so ridiculously tha one could assume that they purposely set that way to drum-up business for the local proctologist, etc.?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-22-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 06:50 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep, because if they wanted that plane to fly, it'd have to be signed off by the FAA. Since even most Russian jets don't have that signoff, and fly safely around the world daily, I'dhave no issue with a Wal-Mart airplane certified in the US.

That said, Wal-Mart doesn't make anything they sell outside of the food area. They're the same bikes you'll find in many big box shops.

This only brings up the Pepsi Points controversy with the Harrier Jump Jet ad.
Old 01-22-17, 06:52 PM
What happened?

Amazing how only BF LBS groupies are aware of these products sold with such dangerous defects - where are all the dissatisfied customers and trial lawyers successfully obtaining damages from the big box stores for customers unhappy or injured by all the defective bicycles sold with very loose headsets, upside down handlebars, backwards forks, bent crank arms, broken spokes, inoperative brakes; various parts so loose that they are flapping in the breeze; immovable shifters; loose seats, or seats adjust so ridiculously tha one could assume that they purposely set that way to drum-up business for the local proctologist, etc.?

I think proctologists should have more than a Kia for putting up with some of the rear ends they meet.
Old 01-22-17, 10:31 PM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Amazing how only BF LBS groupies are aware of these products sold with such dangerous defects -
I HATE LBS's- Haven't set foot in one in 25 years. I wish Walmart sold better crap (instead of crappy crap ) so I could recommend them to people. I usually just tell people to buy online if they want brand-new.
Old 01-23-17, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
If Wallmart made an Airplane, would you fly in it???
If it had an FAA airworthiness certificate, perhaps. But that's the thing about bicycles, nobody signs off on whether they're roadworthy or not after they've been assembled. And apparently in the case of Walmart, nobody even checks.
Old 01-23-17, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Technium 440, GT Talera, GT Outpost Trail, Fuji Regis, Schwinn Sierra

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've purchased a few sub $100 aluminum single speed cruisers from WalMart over the years for cruising the beach, loaner bikes, etc. They've held up remarkably well.
Old 01-23-17, 02:26 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If it had an FAA airworthiness certificate, perhaps. But that's the thing about bicycles, nobody signs off on whether they're roadworthy or not after they've been assembled. And apparently in the case of Walmart, nobody even checks.
Oh but there is - BF's very own LBS Fan Boy Posse checking on the display bikes at the competition and making their oh-so-unbiased reports on this very Forum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.