Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 Battery Dies!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 Battery Dies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 09:03 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by getaklug
how someone just spent their life savings on a dream bike with di2
People that spend their life savings on a bicycle have bigger problems than potential equipment failure.
Old 09-10-12, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 1,480 Posts
How about that support for di2?
I have seen quite a few threads come and go about how someone just spent their life savings on a dream bike with di2 and Ut-oh! something isn't workingt.
Better just stick to riding that flying dog house in your avatar. Your efforts at humor isn't cutting it
Old 09-10-12, 10:05 PM
toasty!

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale r200, 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7; 2007 Redline Conquest Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So say you just got your bike with di2 and you are out on your second ride and you suddenly can't shift. What do you do? Take it to your lbs. But wait! Your mechanic isn't an it guy! You will have to send that part to Shimano, a company that makes MECHANICAL fishing reels, MECHANICAL rowing parts, and up until now MECHANICAL bike parts. So let's face it, Shimano isn't technologically inclined, and all they want is your money, so no they won't be spending the $1000 it costs them to replace your $3000 groupset. They will have some guy, that specializes in mechanical groupsets and took a one week training seminar on electric groupsets take a look at your broken part. He will replace many pieces until he can say "good enough" after seeing that it works sorta good.
"Shimano isn't technologically inclined."

Try harder at your trolling.

If the damned thing doesn't shift right, then like any good mechanic, you start isolating the issue. First, make sure that the derailleur is sound, then check the shifter. Next, you check out the wires, make sure they're seated properly then retest. If that doesn't change anything, then you replace the problem wire - usually the one related to the derailleur or shifter in question - with a 'control wire,' a brand-new wire to make sure that the problem isn't the wire itself, then retest. After that, you move onto the junction box that holds the two derailleur wires and battery wires in place, then retest. There's no need to break open the boxes, you just replace the part. If that doesn't change anything, then start all over again.

The problem right now, and it's common to all relatively new technologies, is that there ain't enough supplies to go around to support a testing process like this in all LBS, nor is Di2 repair common knowledge. However, as it becomes more and more common, more and more bike mechanics will know how to deal with the particular issues it presents. Thing is, it ain't computer science: there's no programming to do, just hardware work.

Also, "don't race it if you can't replace it." Nobody's gonna spend their life savings on a damned bike, that's just stupid talk.

Last edited by AK404; 09-10-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 05:26 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AK404
"Shimano isn't technologically inclined."

Try harder at your trolling.

If the damned thing doesn't shift right, then like any good mechanic, you start isolating the issue. First, make sure that the derailleur is sound, then check the shifter. Next, you check out the wires, make sure they're seated properly then retest. If that doesn't change anything, then you replace the problem wire - usually the one related to the derailleur or shifter in question - with a 'control wire,' a brand-new wire to make sure that the problem isn't the wire itself, then retest. After that, you move onto the junction box that holds the two derailleur wires and battery wires in place, then retest. There's no need to break open the boxes, you just replace the part. If that doesn't change anything, then start all over again.

The problem right now, and it's common to all relatively new technologies, is that there ain't enough supplies to go around to support a testing process like this in all LBS, nor is Di2 repair common knowledge. However, as it becomes more and more common, more and more bike mechanics will know how to deal with the particular issues it presents. Thing is, it ain't computer science: there's no programming to do, just hardware work.

Also, "don't race it if you can't replace it." Nobody's gonna spend their life savings on a damned bike, that's just stupid talk.
getaklug is pretty much right. I am not here to diss Di2, it is great technology. But the average guy...even a EE...or bike shop tech won't have a clue how to fix one if they break is the point. Right now, that means part exchange. If your bike shop doesn't have a big spare parts bin of Di2 parts available, you are pretty much hosed...with big down time with your bike if you don't have a back up bike. Maybe most guys who can afford Di2 will have a nice back up road bike with cable shifting. Di2 slightly smacks of body control modules...aka computers... in automobiles. When one goes bad, unless you have a computer interface to determine its functionality, you don't have a chance other than scatter gun approach to swapping out parts...expensive. Such is the way with digitial, multiplexed circuits. No better way to control things, but if they break, you are hosed and will be an expensive repair bill out of warranty with a fair amount of down time and hair pulling. So really this is cost and time versus functionality thing really. There are and will continue to be many schools. Some believe fixies are the answer...the essence of a bicycle should be simplicity. Others with go for the F1 approach and tech. One of my most humbling days on my bike this year was meeting up with a guy riding a 15 year old Al De Rosa with patchwork 105 and makeshift wheelset and tires. One of the fastest guys I have ridden with this year and I was on a much better bike 'without Di2'. I am not sure when I will make the switch to Di2 but it isn't in the near future because the benefits which clearly exist don't balance with the afore mentioned in my opinion.
Old 09-11-12, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 1,480 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
getaklug is pretty much right. I am not here to diss Di2, it is great technology. But the average guy...even a EE...or bike shop tech won't have a clue how to fix one if they break is the point. Right now, that means part exchange. If your bike shop doesn't have a big spare parts bin of Di2 parts available, you are pretty much hosed...
That's no different than any bicycle part going out. Your derailleur goes. Unless the dealer has a replacement, they order one which comes in a couple days. But everyone I've seen that sells Di2 has parts in stock.

The other thing is how many people spend the money on Di2 and doesn't have at least one more bike around to ride?
Old 09-11-12, 06:04 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The Stupid is particularly strong in this thread.
Old 09-11-12, 06:19 AM

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The Stupid is particularly strong in this thread.

Title caught my attention... 4 pages should have sent up the red flag.
Old 09-11-12, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That's no different than any bicycle part going out. Your derailleur goes. Unless the dealer has a replacement, they order one which comes in a couple days. But everyone I've seen that sells Di2 has parts in stock.
I asked my LBS about that specific issue. The guy laughed & said that if they didn't have the required parts they'd order them & have them in a day, two tops. He said that Campy owners often deal with a lot longer delays, at least in my city.
Old 09-11-12, 09:33 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven

The other thing is how many people spend the money on Di2 and doesn't have at least one more bike around to ride?
Much different. Not only is Di2 still very scarce at most lbs, but diagnosis of root cause of shifting issues if they occur is completely different.
Apparently you don't get it at all. When a std derailleur fails, it is generally obvious. When a Di2 rear derailleur doesn't shift, you don't know if its the:
a. controller
b. battery (easy to discern)
c. broken wire aka breach in the system
d. servo that shifts the rear derailleur.

The level of complexity of the new Di2 will elude most that attempt to work on it short of replacing parts that are as rare as hen's teeth. This btw will be a windfall for not only Shimano but also for lbs that will end up replacing parts at owner expense that aren't even required.
There is a thread on the web someplace about a frustrated Di2 owner whose bike was down for weeks with little support from Shimano and an equally clueless/helpless bike shop.

Does Di2 shift better than most cable bikes? Yes. Is it harder to fix if it fails? It could be very difficult to fix. I am saying that and I can fix anything...design and build my own computers...built race cas and motorcycles.
Old 09-11-12, 09:42 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does Di2 shift better than most cable bikes? Yes. Is it harder to fix if it fails? It could be very difficult to fix. I am saying that and I can fix anything...design and build my own computers...built race cas and motorcycles.
I have never used it, so I can't comment on the first statement ... but it's obvious from simply looking at how it works that it's going to be much more difficult to repare than any mechanical system since it's inner workings are much more complex.
It'll definately be much harder for an averag joe to do any diagnosis without having the specific diagnosis tools, whereas any average joe with a bit of basic mechanical understanding can quite easily do all types of diagnosis, maintenance and repair on mechanical systems.
The same has happened with cars and motorbikes in years past.
Old 09-11-12, 09:59 AM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I like how a humorous post about forgetting to charge a battery that lasted a really long time turned into a discussion of how Di2 sucks.
Old 09-11-12, 10:13 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I have never used it, so I can't comment on the first statement ... but it's obvious from simply looking at how it works that it's going to be much more difficult to repare than any mechanical system since it's inner workings are much more complex.
It'll definately be much harder for an averag joe to do any diagnosis without having the specific diagnosis tools, whereas any average joe with a bit of basic mechanical understanding can quite easily do all types of diagnosis, maintenance and repair on mechanical systems.
The same has happened with cars and motorbikes in years past.
Absolutely...common sense...which sadly isn't very common. The argument can take on many analogies. One maybe fuel injection, ECU and engine sensors versus a carb'ed engine. Many may prefer the precision of FI...but they will pay for it.
Perhaps better analogy of cars to bikes is throttle by wire. Ask Toyota...lol. Are cable-less throttles generally more acomodative and work best as an electronic interface with other EFI sensors talking to the ECU? Yes. If a throttle potentiometer fails it will cost a lot more to fix however . So technology is a slippery slope.
Bottom line is there is diminishing return. Ask anybody who has ever owned a high end BMW with I-drive out of warranty...lol...why they have such cheap resale...nobody can afford them out of warranty.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-11-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-12, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There is a thread on the web someplace about a frustrated Di2 owner whose bike was down for weeks with little support from Shimano and an equally clueless/helpless bike shop.
There should be many such threads if the risk is material. It does sound to me like the risk of increased down time due to issues increases with Di2, but the risk of having an issue to begin with is low. Otherwise this forum and most forums would be littered with unhappy customers waiting for their bikes to be fixed.
Old 09-11-12, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
thats one fear I would have. I am forgetful person by nature and if I happen to be excited about my ride and off I go without remembering to have charged my bike.....I would be in trouble. To easy for me to make that mistake. I will rely on my manual shifting which hasn't failed me yet. plus I can save my money to buy other things I dont need!
I've had two Ultegra shift cables break on me because I forgot to inspect the cables. Two consecutive seasons (I am a bit maniacal about it now). The first was during a climbing race and it didn't break all the way through; the second was right before a crit, which I then had to race in the 39/12. If you forget stuff, stuff's gonna break. Doesn't matter if it's electronic or mechanical. Best is to get out of the habit of forgetting stuff.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-11-12, 10:55 AM
toasty!

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale r200, 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7; 2007 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I've had two Ultegra shift cables break on me because I forgot to inspect the cables.
Wait, there really is a difference between the Ultegra & DA-branded cables and just regular ol' cables?
Old 09-11-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
getaklug is pretty much right. I am not here to diss Di2, it is great technology. But the average guy...even a EE...or bike shop tech won't have a clue how to fix one if they break is the point. Right now, that means part exchange. If your bike shop doesn't have a big spare parts bin of Di2 parts available, you are pretty much hosed...
Just like STI shifters and Campagnolo Escape/Powershift/Ultrashift.

with big down time with your bike if you don't have a back up bike.
Fedex will have you back in business by 10am tomorrow, although it won't be as inexpensive as a warranty replacement.
Old 09-11-12, 11:18 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Nice little dig at SRAM. I'm a SRAM fan but I still got a chuckle out of it, well done.
Sram...no batteries required.
Old 09-11-12, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I like how a humorous post about forgetting to charge a battery that lasted a really long time turned into a discussion of how Di2 sucks.
Di2 only sucks if you can't afford it. Like expensive bikes suck if you cannot afford one. "you don't need...".
Old 09-11-12, 11:21 AM
Descends like a rock

Di2 cant be that complicated. You have shifters, derailleurs, a wire between them and a brain. If a part malfunctions, you swap it for a new part, just like you do with mechanical.
Old 09-11-12, 11:40 AM
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 09-11-12, 12:31 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
Old 09-11-12, 12:51 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Recharging is obviously a non-issue, unless you plan to travel 3,000 miles without getting near an outlet.
^^^This. I just don't understand how folks justify the I Don't Like Electronic Shifting argument by citing the "What if I forget to recharge it?" defense. Um, really? Do you remember to recharge your cellphone? Why should this be any different?

Maybe I'm being unfair, because I tend to be a bit anal about routines. My commuter bike has a headlight with a rechargeable battery; every time I get home from a ride, I put that bike away in the exact same place, a spot reserved for that bike...that happens to be directly adjacent to the always-plugged-in battery recharger. So every time I put that bike away I plug in the recharger. Every time.

If I had Di2 I'd do the exact same thing. Problem solved.
Old 09-11-12, 01:10 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone care that this is a thread from last year? I think the OP has his battery charged by now.
Old 09-11-12, 01:13 PM
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Does anyone care that this is a thread from last year? I think the OP has his battery charged by now.
yeah, but we can still talk about how Di2 sucks because of that one time that guy...
Old 09-17-12, 02:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another zombie thread.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.