Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 06:05 AM

Bikes: T1K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm neither a fan of AS nor AC. However I was really enjoying the game of cat and mouse playing out between them. I'm mostly disappointed that we will never know if AS could've got away on that move. Vino marked him fast but it AC didn't catch him till after AS started pedaling air. If that was the decisive move of the tour then I'll be disappointed.
Old 07-20-10, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
I'm thinking that Phil Liggett has much to explain for the uproar. He jumped right in to express his dismay at Alberto for riding away from Andy without really thinking much about the situation first. By the way ALL English speaking countries get Phil and Paul's commentary.

Anyway, the way I saw it was that Andy had attacked and Alberto was closing the gap promptly when andy dropped his chain. Alberto went flying past and didn't know what happened. He slowed down after a short while to see what had happened and Menchov and Sanchez caught up and kept on going. Alberto stuck with the other 2 and at the top of the Mountain they had a 15 second only advantage.

The 3 of them however hammered down the mountain and Andy didn't. I think Andy lost his lead on the descent and this is racing for you.

It was an unfortunate incedent but I cant blame Alberto for it.

Anthony
Actually PL said that's racing, it was PS who said bad form.
Old 07-20-10, 06:36 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AC has no class! AC drilled it and never let up and that is why the others in the lead pack responded to AC and kept going. AC was the instigator and attacked the yellow jersey with a mechanical. Here is what I think he should have done.

When he blew by AS, he should have soft pedaled for at least 10 or maybe 20 seconds. If the rest of the lead group (Sanchez, Menchov ...) then blew by AC, he should have jumped and gone with them. If they didn't, and I don't think they would have, he should have let AS catch back on the then race on.

I would be booing big time if I was there, every time he takes the podium. Think Jens would have attacked?
Old 07-20-10, 06:45 AM
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
... Think Jens would have attacked?
Maybe Jens wouldn't have, but Fabian did (stage 3)
Old 07-20-10, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fynn
There are some folks on here that could really benefit from the use of a DVR and or the knowledge of how to use one. I went back and watched this multiple times in slow mo.

1. Schleck's chain came off for no apparent reason. He didn't touch a shifter.

2. Vino was first to attack and Contador followed right behind him.

3. Other's followed them.

There is no doubt in my mind that both Astana riders witnessed the mechanical and pounced on the chance to attack. High def and my DVR have convinced me of this. Nothing else.
Contador has gone on the record as saying he was not aware that Andy had a mechanical. Seems a bit strange to me that AC would not have known something was going on with him given he had just put a couple of seconds into him with the attack. How is it AC could go by him as he did, look back and not make some kind of deduction as to why Andy was no longer with him, Sanchez and Menchov. I'm not saying what AC did was wrong given it was the final climb of the day but his explanation just sounds a little cheesy to me.
Old 07-20-10, 07:07 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jens would waited for sure, that's why he's one of the best liked riders in the tour. Let's pretend this is what happened.

AC soft pedals. He tells the lead group to wait when they catch him. 20 seconds later AS catches back on. Now AC drills it, drops AS and everyone considers AC a classy great champion that showed he indisputably earned the jersey. I would be singing his praises.

As it is now, I hope AS absolutely buries him in the next two stages. I would love it if the other teams started working in mass against Astana and rubs his nose in it.

Sure, he can attack the MJ for a mechanical, but many of us can think he's a classless loser for doing it.
Old 07-20-10, 07:19 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AC soft pedals. He tells the lead group to wait when they catch him. 20 seconds later AS catches back on. Now AC drills it, drops AS and everyone considers AC a classy great champion that showed he indisputably earned the jersey. I would be singing his praises.
Something tells me people would criticize him for attacking too soon and not giving AS enough time to recover from chasing back on.
Old 07-20-10, 07:24 AM
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador is a weasle, he proved that last year and is proving it again this year.

Andy was about to drop his sorry azz and top the mountain riding a wheelie with rear tire smoking.

Contador new this and took advantage of a bad situation.
Old 07-20-10, 07:29 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Jens would waited for sure, that's why he's one of the best liked riders in the tour. Let's pretend this is what happened.
OK.

AC slows down. Menchov and Sammy Sanchez assume Contador and Schleck are playing Who Can Trackstand The Longest During the Tour de France (again), and take off. Both of them ditch AC and AS, pile 30 seconds on at the end of the day. Menchov and/or Sanchez nail another 2 minutes during the TT, and someone who was in yellow ends up 3rd... or 4th.

You can craft all sorts of scenarios to support whatever point you want to assert. It proves nothing.

At any rate, it's over, done, yesterday's news. Considering that riders were surreptitiously taking trains and spectators were literally dumping nails on the roads and assaulting riders in the 2nd ever Tour de France, I'm reasonably sure that the sport will survive.
Old 07-20-10, 07:48 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vkalia
The majority of Lance fanbois think that the scheming Spaniard is wrong, regardless of what he does. Ironically, Lance, Hinalut and other racers (you know - the guys who have a few wins to their records) all seem ok with Contador's actions.

Most people with a working brain realize that this is racing and Andy needs to man up and not keep relying on charity to stay on top of the standings.

It shows a lot of class on the part of Contador to apologize when he doesnt need to.

V.
+1. In listening to his recorded comments I thought he was a tad too gracious, if thats possible. He's in a competition to win AND to defend his title. He doesn't really need anyone's approval - he's one of the best in the world. It shows a depth of character that his detractors wont allow him, that he's concerned enough with public opinion to do that.
His fans support him, anyway.

He also said that had the shoe been on the other foot, AS would have blasted past, too.
Old 07-20-10, 07:51 AM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwchandler21
I'm neither a fan of AS nor AC. However I was really enjoying the game of cat and mouse playing out between them. I'm mostly disappointed that we will never know if AS could've got away on that move. Vino marked him fast but it AC didn't catch him till after AS started pedaling air. If that was the decisive move of the tour then I'll be disappointed.
That is how it goes in racing, eh? Sometimes you win by such things, and we are left to wonder what might have happened...
It is only one stage. The game goes on.
Old 07-20-10, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Half of you are saying that andy was dropping alberto until the chain fell off and then alberto took advantage.

Honestly, I did NOT see this happening. Sure andy took off fast but after a few seconds alberto took off after him and he was catching up to him BEFORE his chain fell off. It was Menchov and Sanchez who were setting the pace up the hill yet andy DIDN'T catch back up to the pace set by those 2. It wasn't alberto setting off solo. The the 3 leaders took off on the descent and took MORE time out of andy on the descent then they did on the climb.

Sure it was an unfortunate incident but I just CAN'T see it as being something terrible that alberto did. As others have said, andy has been the beneficiary of a couple gifts from the peleton but this cant happen ALL the time.

Anthony
Old 07-20-10, 07:52 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bacci, agree. If AC would have waited, then told the other guys to wait when they reached him... ala Fabian. If they wouldn't wait, then AC has to go with them and AC gets the credit for being a man. In this case, if you watch the tape, the other guys actually sat up, but when AC flew by in full attack, they jumped on his wheel like they had to. The world won't end but AC has proved repeatedly now, he is a classless, selfish loser.
Old 07-20-10, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking that Phil Liggett has much to explain for the uproar. He jumped right in to express his dismay at Alberto for riding away from Andy without really thinking much about the situation first. By the way ALL English speaking countries get Phil and Paul's commentary.

Anyway, the way I saw it was that Andy had attacked and Alberto was closing the gap promptly when andy dropped his chain. Alberto went flying past and didn't know what happened. He slowed down after a short while to see what had happened and Menchov and Sanchez caught up and kept on going. Alberto stuck with the other 2 and at the top of the Mountain they had a 15 second only advantage.

The 3 of them however hammered down the mountain and Andy didn't. I think Andy lost his lead on the descent and this is racing for you.

It was an unfortunate incedent but I cant blame Alberto for it.

Anthony
Are you also a fan of B movies?
Old 07-20-10, 08:17 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway, the way I saw it was that Andy had attacked and Alberto was closing the gap promptly when andy dropped his chain. Alberto went flying past and didn't know what happened.
Sure andy took off fast but after a few seconds alberto took off after him and he was catching up to him BEFORE his chain fell off.
Guys, that wasn't Contador. Vino was the one who first marked Schleck's attack, and he was the one that was (only) 10 feet or so behind when the chain dropped. I would 100% believe if Vino said he didn't know what happened to Schleck.

Contador was just getting off the front of the pack when Schleck sat up and started looking down at his chain. He had at least 30 feet to recognize what was going on as he overtook Andy.
Old 07-20-10, 08:21 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, you can clearly see Vino sitting back down as he passed Andy. Most likely because he realized that something had happened and the attack was no longer on.
Old 07-20-10, 08:22 AM

Well I'm pretty sure that it WAS Alberto who was first off after Andy because of the acceleration. Sure Vinokurov is a good climber but there are only 2 riders with the explosive acceleration on the mountains, Andy and Alberto and since the first rider chasing andy was catching him it HAD to be Alberto.

Anthony
Old 07-20-10, 08:24 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Contador must have soft pedaled some on the climb. If not, how did Schleck cross the top just 14 seconds behind after spending 28 seconds remounting his chain? He lost his yellow jersey on the descent, not the climb.
Old 07-20-10, 08:30 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure that it WAS Alberto who was first off after Andy because of the acceleration. Sure Vinokurov is a good climber but there are only 2 riders with the explosive acceleration on the mountains, Andy and Alberto and since the first rider chasing andy was catching him it HAD to be Alberto.

Anthony
Please buy a Clue, because you are simply wrong.

Vino was the one responding to the attack by AS. And Vino saw what happened to Andy's chain, and sat down.

AC blasted by as AS was looking at his chain and about to step off his bike. AS had slowed so much that AC had to quickly move to the left to get around the rapidly slowing AS.

There was no way that AC did not know that AS was having a mechanical. Even if he didn't see the chain as he passed on the left, it was obvious the yellow jersey was stopping. And for sure, AC would have heard in his radio that AS had dropped his chain.

Of course, given that AC rides for Astana, and the government of Kazakhstan doesn't much care about cycling traditions, it's likely his DS was yelling at him to attack.

Here's hoping AS attacks him while he's taking a piss.
Old 07-20-10, 08:35 AM
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure that it WAS Alberto who was first off after Andy because of the acceleration.
No. It was Vino. AC was a bit slow to react but he had already put the hammer down, BEFORE Andy's mishap. I get the feeling that most people who seem to hate AC, do so because of the "Lance affect." Who ever wins wins. One thing I hope does not happen is for AS to continue whinning evrytime something happens a la Lance.
Old 07-20-10, 08:36 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anthony
The video is readily available on the Versus website. It's Vino.

It is a full five seconds between the point when Schleck drops his chain and Contador passing him.

Count off five seconds to yourself, and tell me you wouldn't be able to figure out that someone is having a mechanical problem in that time.
Old 07-20-10, 08:47 AM

Ok, Sorry, it was Vinokurov who was off after him first as alberto was stuck it traffic but alberto was only a second behind and from what I can see from the video on Youtube he was so busy trying to get out of the traffic he still didn't know what was happening when he passed Andy. Heck if it was Vino who was pegging his attack back then it wasn't the decisive move everyone is claiming.

When it comes down to it andy still lost twice as much time on the descent as he did on the climb.

Anthony
Old 07-20-10, 08:53 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, Sorry, it was Vinokurov who was off after him first as alberto was stuck it traffic but alberto was only a second behind and from what I can see from the video on Youtube he was so busy trying to get out of the traffic he still didn't know what was happening when he passed Andy. Heck if it was Vino who was pegging his attack back then it wasn't the decisive move everyone is claiming.

When it comes down to it andy still lost twice as much time on the descent as he did on the climb.

Anthony
AC was descending with Sanchez and Menchov. Sitting in 3rd and 4th on GC, those two had every reason to attack all the way down the mountain. And Sanchez is one of the best descenders in the business.

Meanwhile, AS had to descend on his own - nobody in his group was doing any of the work.

Given the circumstances, it's no surprise that AC and his group put more time into Schleck on the descent.

And yet more reason why AC's attack lacked sporting honor. It wasn't about who was strongest on the bike.
Old 07-20-10, 09:08 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, Sorry, it was Vinokurov who was off after him first as alberto was stuck it traffic but alberto was only a second behind
Five seconds.
Old 07-20-10, 09:08 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSP +1

I so hope AC doesn't win now. Not like that. A classless loser in my book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.