Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
St. Albans, VT to Philly tour starts one week from tomorrow with a long train ride to the start. I have so few miles under my belt that I am going to have to rely on muscle memory. Glad I have some short days and a few days off for a couple of events, including my 35th high school reunion in MA.
Old 05-25-18, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well ... even on my "slow" days I'm faster than I've been in recent years ... and I'm not breathing as heavy.

Gotta ramp up the efforts going forward. Zwift really worked for me ...
Old 05-29-18, 03:54 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
running sucks but might be worth it...maybe
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-29-18, 04:35 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
running sucks but might be worth it...maybe
Incorrect. Running just sucks.
Old 05-29-18, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My ortho surgeon in the final followup for the acetabular fracture told me I am still banned from running. So sad.

He also looked a bit shocked that I was back on the bike and going, but seemed happy not upset. I'll take it.

Even stopped in at the shop the Bianchi is supposedly eventually arriving at!
Old 05-29-18, 05:58 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Well ... even on my "slow" days I'm faster than I've been in recent years ... and I'm not breathing as heavy.

Gotta ramp up the efforts going forward. Zwift really worked for me ...
What I am finding is that I am still breathing hard on the climbs, but moving significantly faster. What used to seem like a long slow slog is still a slog, but it seems to go by a lot more quickly (one one going from 25min to 15min).

I still ride Zwift - it seems like every other day is raining, and it is too easy to just put on my stuff and go to the spare bedroom and ride for an hour. When we get back to the Fall, I think will start doing some FTP builder workouts.
Old 05-29-18, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ericy
What I am finding is that I am still breathing hard on the climbs, but moving significantly faster. What used to seem like a long slow slog is still a slog, but it seems to go by a lot more quickly (one one going from 25min to 15min).

I still ride Zwift - it seems like every other day is raining, and it is too easy to just put on my stuff and go to the spare bedroom and ride for an hour. When we get back to the Fall, I think will start doing some FTP builder workouts.
it never gets any easier, you just get faster?
Old 05-29-18, 10:20 PM
got the climbing bug

you don't have fond moments running back in PE during those High School days....its just like that but now I'm 100lbs more in weight
Old 05-29-18, 10:28 PM
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
you don't have fond moments running back in PE during those High School days....its just like that but now I'm 100lbs more in weight
Fond memories of the females running in PE....
Old 05-30-18, 03:44 AM

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
haven't posted in a long time...
I tried taking up running a couple years ago, it just reminded me how much I hate(d) it.
I've been walking more recently, my SO wants to lose a bit of weight, so we've been walking together...on the other I haven't been able to ride as much as I could have...and the weather still sucks here. I guess I'll keep Zwifting at night when I cant ride outdoors.
Old 05-30-18, 07:36 AM

God. I hated cross-county in school with a passion. Rugby was better, and I was short and scrawny when I played Rugby. I got into rowing as soon as I could, even if I wasn't terribly good at that (certainly not compared to the rest of my family, but with two World Champion and Olympic medallist rowers in my sister and step-father, I guess that's not shocking ).

It wasn't until I started fencing in my 20s that I found a sport I enjoyed at all. Cycling has been a huge boon. I do consider getting a Concept2 to get some upper body; if I ever get back to racing the D675 I'll need it.
Old 05-30-18, 07:39 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit

It depends on how you ride, i guess. I could take it at a slower pace, and that would be easier. But that doesn't seem to be in my nature to do it that way.

Last edited by ericy; 05-30-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 09:56 PM

Quite the view over ‘burque
6 months and 1 day since I was clobbered. Released by the ortho surgeon yesterday with the observation that my Hammies probably don’t like the titanium arse, and that no-one gets back to sports for 6 months after that massive a displaced acetabular fracture and hip dislocation. He was dead chuffed I was already back on the bike

Celwbrated by skipping the last parking lot on the Crest and just going to the top. 5m slower than last year (1:50) for 13.5 Miles. I’ll take it — I’m sure my locked front suspension robbed all my watts on the 3,700+’ of climbing in those miles.
50 degrees at the top
Old 05-31-18, 12:03 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I never understood this fully until this year.

And it's completely true in my case. My rides aren't terribly easier .... I may not be breathing quite as hard as I used to, but I'm going SO much faster. It's pretty staggering really.

I don't have a bike computer, so I track my rides with Strava on my phone, but that phone stays in my jersey pocket throughout the ride. I'm always pretty thrilled at the end of a ride to see my average speed staying the same or increasing, especially when I think I'm not pushing hard enough.
Old 05-31-18, 12:19 PM
got the climbing bug

@ill.clyde sounds like you have a solid base now!! awesome feeling huh

Consistency is the name of the game
Old 05-31-18, 12:21 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
@ill.clyde sounds like you have a solid base now!! awesome feeling huh

Consistency is the name of the game
It really is an awesome feeling ... now I just need to work on my table push aways
Old 05-31-18, 12:44 PM
got the climbing bug

I hear ya! I just started cutting soda again. Hope I can stick it with water n teas n beers

Another problem I have, I drink like 4 cups of coffee a day minimum (work behind a desk all day). Used to add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, now cutting that sugar out too. Doesn't seem to effect my lunch time energy levels yet when I go riding.
Old 05-31-18, 01:23 PM

I hear ya! I just started cutting soda again. Hope I can stick it with water n teas n beers

Another problem I have, I drink like 4 cups of coffee a day minimum (work behind a desk all day). Used to add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, now cutting that sugar out too. Doesn't seem to effect my lunch time energy levels yet when I go riding.
Cutting soda out almost completely helped me totally; along with removing sugar from my coffee. I drink tea, coffee, water, beer, wine, gin, tonic and whiskey now -- sadly, not in equal proportions.

My bane is bloody biscuits. I can't resist a jaffa cake or a digestive, so have to really just not have them in the house as a full time telecommuter.

I need to get back to lunch rides. With a mostly east coast team, evenings are just easier though.
Old 05-31-18, 01:50 PM
SuperGimp

Cutting soda out almost completely helped me totally; along with removing sugar from my coffee. I drink tea, coffee, water, beer, wine, gin, tonic and whiskey now -- sadly, not in equal proportions.

My bane is bloody biscuits. I can't resist a jaffa cake or a digestive, so have to really just not have them in the house as a full time telecommuter.

I need to get back to lunch rides. With a mostly east coast team, evenings are just easier though.
I cut soda out completely about 10 years ago, don't miss it at all. I don't think it helped anything other than my pocket book though. Cutting out beer would probably have a large benefit but I"m unwilling.

I actually ran cross country in the fall, winter track in the winter and track and field in the spring so you wouldn't think I'd hate running so much. BUT I DO! If you want to stay skinny though, it's hard to beat running. I just can't do it anymore with my knee...
Old 05-31-18, 03:11 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I cut out sodas around 2000-2001, that and some other changes got me down from 275# to about 240# over 3 years. Bounced around 230-240# til about 2013, then dropped to 218# while sailing offshore for 10 days. Started riding that fall. Now 203#. Wish I still had soda to cut out, that would be good for a quick drop.

Go to drinks - coffee (a small dab of 2% milk), iced tea no sugar, and water. Beer - I've had 2 or 3 year-to-date, so not a lot. No other alcohol.

My downfall, burritos.
Old 05-31-18, 03:34 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I got the official diverticulitis diagnosis about 6 years ago, and in one day went from a 6-pack-a-day (at least!) of Dr. Pepper guy to never getting to drink soda again. I would have thought that would have started knocking off the pounds, but it did quite the opposite-- when you just yank 900-1,200kcal of hollow calories out of the diet, next thing you know, you fill it with food. And food sticks. I gained nearly 30 pounds over the next three years. I could lose another 20lbs with just sheer force of will-- by willing myself to stop eating brownies, candybars, donuts, ice cream, etc. It's simply not going to happen. I had a vast portion of my diet taken away from me by the stupid bacteria in my intestines, I'm not giving anything up voluntarily. I'll never get to eat another Snickers, I'll never have another soda, I'll never have spaghetti sauce or pizza with red sauce. Or orange juice. Or any of a whole laundry list of things.

So I wouldn't advise getting between me and the donuts.
Old 05-31-18, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I drink a lot of coffee, and I used to add 2 teaspoons of sugar per cup...I cut out sugar overnight a few years ago and lost a few pounds quickly. The funny thing is I can't drink coffee with sugar anymore, it just tastes disgusting lol
Now, I just need to reduce my coffee intake
Old 05-31-18, 04:23 PM
got the climbing bug

I actually ran cross country in the fall, winter track in the winter and track and field in the spring so you wouldn't think I'd hate running so much. BUT I DO! If you want to stay skinny though, it's hard to beat running. I just can't do it anymore with my knee...
I ran CC in middle school, found out I'm not a sprinter but better at endurance. But remember thinking at a race, why are these guys throwing up, it was only 5 miles or so HAHA. I wish I can run 6min miles again

I was busy with working part time and girls in High School to get into a sport.

I started running again 3 weeks ago, first run was 5 miles , then next week was another 5 miles, same pace but less walking. This weeks run was 6.4m, bit slower thru city blocks vs around the lake but good for the legs and lungs. I changed shoes on the last run, found I need a larger sole offset since I was too much forefooted and putting tons of stress on my calfs. Those other weeks was hard to walk / ride my bike the following day. After the shoe change, seems like any other day even after running 10k. I'm not fast but have pretty good endurance and leg strength to put up w/ the beating. I'll see how I feel on next week's run, only trying to do it 1 day a week for now and still ride my bike 4 days a week
Old 05-31-18, 05:59 PM
SuperGimp

Yeah, I distinctly remember one day at XC... we headed out for a LOOONG training run (I think it was 10 miles) and it wiped me out. We got back to school and the actual runners in the team decided that hadn't been enough of a workout so they went out and ran another 8 or 9 miles. WTF. I... did not. And I don't think I've ever run that far since either, for that matter. Just say no!
Old 06-01-18, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Happy National Donut Day! Don't eat too many!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.