Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
Sakae ring and Suntour FD taken from the infamous BOX OF CRAP!

Hey right on! I have one of those boxes too... it's right in between the Box of Goodies and the Box of Scrap. Any bike that gets parted out, all the parts go in one of the three bins. I try to only buy bikes that have parts that'll make it in the "Goodie" bin or it's almost not worth the trouble. On the other hand, it's such a lousy feeling to have to reach into the "Scrap" bin for a part but nothing compares to the emptiness of lowering my standards to digging in the "Crap" bin! God, I hate to even think about it... no joy in that bin!!!
Old 02-02-13, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Looks awesome, but that saddle looks not to the level of the bike. JMHO, that's all? Some brown wrap and a honey saddle would send that bike right over the top.,,,,BD
Old 02-02-13, 10:15 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hey right on! I have one of those boxes too... it's right in between the Box of Goodies and the Box of Scrap.
Well I was talking about this particular Box of Crap ---> https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post15229608

Originally Posted by Bikedued
Looks awesome, but that saddle looks not to the level of the bike. JMHO, that's all? Some brown wrap and a honey saddle would send that bike right over the top.,,,,BD
hah the saddle angle often elicits comments but that is what is most comfortable for me.. i need to get a different saddle all together. I'm not into that Brooks/leather/hemp twine look too much though, prefer black and synthetics, especially for 80s stuff.

have taken the bike out for a lil spin... i LOVE having more gears to choose from. before I had 14 gears but only regularly rode in TWO of them. With the close spacing it's so much easier to find the right gear and also i noticed i was quickly traveling up to much higher GI than I normally ride in. I'm strongly considering Kelly Take Offs since the thumbies can only be shifted from the tops, and this set up is much more suited for switching gears often. shifting is a lot smoother as well; not sure if that's due to the different RD or cassette, or both

Last edited by frantik; 02-02-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 11:13 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Ignore the saddle and seat post police.

I very much like the build. I have been moving to smaller chainrings (except for the High Sierra SS) and tighter cassettes.
Old 02-03-13, 07:37 AM
RFC

BTW, you might be able to remedy the cog/frame rub by taking a crank bolt washer and putting it on the axle to space it a bit. I've done this several times.
Old 02-03-13, 11:18 AM

That's an old mechanics remedy... good call RFC! I was going to suggest the same thing, that is by far the quickest and easiest solution and it has always solved the chainstay rubbing issue. If only a few teeth are rubbing, you just need to gain a few millimeters, your LBS should have a few sizes to suit your needs. Don't forget to apply a thin film of grease to the spindle before the washer when you are reassembling the crank, save yourself the future headache.

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 02-03-13 at 11:21 AM. Reason: type'o
Old 02-03-13, 11:46 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hey right on! I have one of those boxes too... it's right in between the Box of Goodies and the Box of Scrap. Any bike that gets parted out, all the parts go in one of the three bins. I try to only buy bikes that have parts that'll make it in the "Goodie" bin or it's almost not worth the trouble. On the other hand, it's such a lousy feeling to have to reach into the "Scrap" bin for a part but nothing compares to the emptiness of lowering my standards to digging in the "Crap" bin! God, I hate to even think about it... no joy in that bin!!!
I have a box of family parts. You know, the parts that are too nice to purge but you will never use them on one of your own projects. After I pick up a bike for parts, I rebuild it with stuff from the family parts box and give it to one of my family members. No patience for flipping but I dig the joy of giving a niece or nephew a decent cruiser.
Old 02-03-13, 12:26 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by RFC
BTW, you might be able to remedy the cog/frame rub by taking a crank bolt washer and putting it on the axle to space it a bit. I've done this several times.
thanks i was thinking some kind of washer would be a quick fix, didnt know crank bolt washers were suitable. i swapped the 13t cog from the other cassette and that works, but would prefer to keep them all together.
Old 02-03-13, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Aemmer
I have a box of family parts. You know, the parts that are too nice to purge but you will never use them on one of your own projects. After I pick up a bike for parts, I rebuild it with stuff from the family parts box and give it to one of my family members. No patience for flipping but I dig the joy of giving a niece or nephew a decent cruiser.
Oh man T., I've seen some of your bikes and the parts you outfit them with... those are some lucky nieces and nephews!

Hey, how about a pic of your dirt drop bike? I'll never get tired of seeing those choice WTB parts with a snowy peak in the background or your uber cool pooch running along side. Got any new pics?

Thanks!

-D-
Old 02-03-13, 01:39 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Oh man T., I've seen some of your bikes and the parts you outfit them with... those are some lucky nieces and nephews!

Hey, how about a pic of your dirt drop bike? I'll never get tired of seeing those choice WTB parts with a snowy peak in the background or your uber cool pooch running along side. Got any new pics?

Thanks!

-D-
Ha, I love that bike. Certainly my most favorite vintage rider. Just posted a pic of it in the Vintage Mtb thread along with the project that I am currently working on. No new pics from riding. Been sitting around getting fat-n-happy trying to finish a couple of projects before Keyesville next month. Working on a Yeti Pro Fro with my son and an 81 Everest for myself. With vacation at the end of the month, running out of time.

Father son project. (need to get him out to the garage):

My project:

If anybody here is interested and into old mountain bikes, we have quite a gathering that shows up for the Keyesville Classic in California every year. Longest running MTB stage race in the USA complete with two vintage classes. A great place to meet other collectors, show off your projects, trade bits and hang out with like minded people, race, or just watch the fun. A great time is had by all. March 10th this year.

Oh, and to keep it on topic. Where else could you go to see several dirt drop project all done up era correct in one place:

Last edited by Aemmer; 02-03-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 01:29 AM

As always T., beautiful vintage steel...
mmm, looptail...
mmm, fillet brazed Ritchey...
mmm, vintage WTB bits with roller cam brakes!
Tasty stuff! Why, oh why did I ever sell you that bike?!!! That does make me feel a tad bit better knowing that you love the bike and it is your favorite rider, that said, I still miss that Ritchey!

I see you have some choice components going on the Everest. I just sold a set of those Mafac brakes. Here are my TA cranks (took them apart today for a good cleaning) that are going on my '88 Cimarron drop bar with blended parts off the '82 Stumpjumper that I parted out. The Cimarron is getting the "Bi-plane" from the Stumpy as well. I suppose I'm building more of a "Cimajumper" with Soma Sparrow bars and STI shifters... another Frankenbike!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TAcranks.jpg (93.4 KB, 771 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 02-04-13 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 05:54 PM
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm getting ready for a weekend trip sometime over the next few weeks. Just got back from a test ride with my Cimarron loaded up with my camping gear and it seemed to handle pretty well.

I used to have a lot of problems with the front wheel flopping around when I parked my bike on the kickstand, but I recently installed a velo orange wheel stabilizer and it works great, even when there's some weight on the front wheel.

I also recently swapped the original 175mm Deerhead/600 crankset out for a 170mm Deore II since I had been getting some knee pain on longer rides and it felt like my knees were flexing too much. Still fine-tuning my saddle placement after the swap, but preliminary results are good.

Old 02-07-13, 09:27 PM
RFC

Very nice. What tires are you running?
Old 02-07-13, 10:22 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Wow, nice job on that Cimmaron. Those bikes are sleepers for sure.
Old 02-07-13, 10:53 PM
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks. I had 2" Schwalbe Marathons on it for a while, but I switched them over to some cheap Forte Metro 1.5" tires that I had sitting around. I really liked the marathons, but these are a lot lighter (quoted from the manufacturers at 820g / pr vs 1940g / pr) and I can tell the difference when accelerating. May eventually move over to Pasela TGs or Marathon Racers, but the 2" Marathons will still be great for mixed surface riding.
Old 02-07-13, 11:22 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

just saw this pic

Jacquie Phelan had won every off-road race she entered, starting with her first NORBA event in 1983.

Here she leads Cindy Whitehead in the brutal 50-mile Plumline off-road race held near Bishop, California in 1986 in mountains that reached elevations of 11,000 feet.

Cindy was riding without a saddle on her bike, as her seatpost had broken in the first few miles. In one of the legendary exploits of mountain biking, she defeated the reigning champion over the long course, without ever being able to sit down.

https://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/ftf_covers.htm
Old 02-08-13, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
I'm getting ready for a weekend trip sometime over the next few weeks. Just got back from a test ride with my Cimarron loaded up with my camping gear and it seemed to handle pretty well.
Hey mainstreetexile-

Really nice job on the Cimarron build, it looks like you could last a good long time in the wilderness!

Coincidently, look what followed me home this evening... an almost fully stock '85 Cimarron that someone discarded in a dumpster. My other Cimarron is almost ready for paint and thankfully I have my next project!!!

Attached Images
85Cimarron1.jpg (101.3 KB, 811 views)
85Cimarron2.jpg (100.4 KB, 798 views)
85Cimarron3.jpg (95.3 KB, 793 views)

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 02-08-13 at 03:23 AM. Reason: pics didn't post
Old 02-08-13, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
1987 Bianchi Grizzly

Likes For robatsu:
Old 02-08-13, 04:25 AM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
^thanks for that Frantik! epic pic and story.
Old 02-08-13, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
cimarron in the dumpster! Score.
Old 02-08-13, 08:53 AM
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that Bianchi, good job!
Old 02-08-13, 09:10 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
Ok, one more shot (actually, bike isn't done yet, I've got a few more things in store..):

Likes For robatsu:
Old 02-08-13, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
To get in the drops in that Grizzly is a loooong way. Make sure you wear a long t-shirt or hike you shorts up really high.
Old 02-08-13, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
+1 That looks great. Is that Newbaum's burgundy tape by chance? I just used that on my Raleigh that's sort of celeste-ish and it's a nice combo.
Old 02-08-13, 10:39 AM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
+1 That looks great. Is that Newbaum's burgundy tape by chance? I just used that on my Raleigh that's sort of celeste-ish and it's a nice combo.
Wow, great call... Yes, it is Newbaum's burgundy w/a few coats of shellac.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.