Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pedals for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pedals for touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD clipless for me. I like the connected feeling, especially when I'm tired and mindlessly grinding into the wind or up a slight grade. When I ride platform pedals, I get a subtle sense of something not quite buckled in that's just like the feeling I get if I drive a short distance without buckling my seat belt. It's a very slight sense of vulnerability, totally in my mind, but I'll stick with being clipped in.

I keep them adjusted rather loose by hardcore roadie standards. I very occasionally pull out of one of them on hard acceleration, but that rarely happens (the hard acceleration part) on my touring bike.

Last edited by xyzzy834; 10-11-10 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-10, 07:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What he said^. platforms can also pass, but spd is my first choice.

Last edited by enio; 10-11-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 10:59 PM
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nashbar land cruiser pedal works very well:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_200455

Old 10-15-10, 11:06 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
spd / flat combos (I have several varieties)... I have to keep my left foot clipped in due to nerve damage that causes my foot to drift off the pedal and if things get too hairy to be clipped in I can ride the flat side for a time as these have fairly aggressive teeth which keeps my shoes from slipping much.

My spd touring shoes are among the most comfortable shoes I own and most folks think they are running shoes.
Old 10-16-10, 12:08 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the simplicity of Platform pedals. I've never had a problem of my feet slipping off my platforms which allow a wider variety of shoes, sandals
Old 10-16-10, 12:18 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Oh no, not another pedal thread! Spd under Sidi Dominators (mtb shoes). I use compression straps on my trail runners to take up less room in a pannier. The Sidis are too stiff to walk really far in and the trail runners too soft to pedal with.
Old 10-16-10, 04:54 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Toe clips with medium-tight straps & hiking shoes. They are what came with the bike, what I grew up with (if you change "hiking shoes" to "Keds sneakers") and what seem to work just fine.
Old 10-16-10, 06:40 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PD324 and spd sandals
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 10-16-10, 09:41 PM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A520 spd's with recessed-cleat MTB shoes.
Old 10-17-10, 08:32 PM
Shaven Sasquatch

Bikes: Salsa Colossal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After riding for 20 years, and trying Speedplays, various SPD's, Eggbeaters, and the like, I keep finding myself wondering why more people don't ride Time Atac Alium pedals. I don't think there's a better pedal out there for easy clip, easy release, tons of float. From day one, it's been like the pedals are an extension of my leg! Of course, I was a skateboarder for a long time, and my knees rotate a long way before it gets uncomfortable, so perhaps people don't like the additional float. Anyhow, I love these pedals, and intend to use them for MTB, sport road riding, and touring. After three minutes I had the mount/dismount dialed in. The design is stupid easy, research it yourself and see. I don't work for Time, just love their products. Can't see any pedal being as good for the money.
Old 10-18-10, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Have used Crank bros for years for mountain and road. However over the years I've broken just about everything they've made. Usually just a spring here, a blade there, but the final straw was after a couple axle breaks. I finally I switched to time atac earlier this summer. Am extremely pleased so far. Expensive but worth it. BTW, I use them with Sidi bulets, lakes, and in the winter some Lake winter boots (awesome). I ride year round, typically putting on 7-10k miles. Am extremely fond of winter touring right now. Love the adversity, beauty and quietness of winter touring.

That said I've been looking very closely at something called Power Grips. THey're a very simple and elegant form of pedal strap. What draws me to them is the fact that I can use any shoe including winter boots, they look very efficient, solid and easy to step into and most importantly that they can work with any standard pedal that can accomidate tow straps so even if I break a pedal I can pick up another platform pedal anywhere and put the power straps on. Sure beats buying a whole new set of clipless pedals when out on tour and mailing the broken ones home or to the manufacturer. Ohh... and again... having comfortable shoes off the bike. A friend of mine did the great divide route with a pair earlier this summer. It's what originally got me thinking about them. That I'm thinking about doing a winter ride of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace. There will be some efficiency loss, extra weight, just plain slower in using a gortex winter hiking boot on such a ride, but it may well be worth it for the comfort.
Old 10-18-10, 09:28 AM
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKS Grip Kings
Old 10-18-10, 10:14 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have put decades and thousands of miles on a pair of Campagnolo #1037 steel cage traditional quill pedals,
they're still fine..
Stainless steel Fisher double toe clips , and straps that are never actually tight.
made a custom pad behind the buckles, with the help of the shoe repair guys sewing machine..
Old 10-24-10, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Frogs and SPD's and stuff,,,,PRos and cons, settled on the PLATFORMs, comfort. my choice of foot positions.