Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should there be no chain contact with front derailleur no matter what gear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should there be no chain contact with front derailleur no matter what gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 09:27 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Should it be possible to adjust the front derailleur so that there's not even slight brushing contact audible while pedaling no matter what gear?
On road bike doubles, yes, sorta. On small-small the chain might rub on the inside of the big ring. If it's rubbing on the cage, too, it probably can't be helped. On road bike triples, in spite of trim, there might be some cross-chaining situations where rub is inevitable. Also, with triple-chainring mountain and city bikes with no trim.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-04-23, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
On road bike doubles, yes, sorta. On small-small the chain might rub on the inside of the big ring. If it's rubbing on the cage, too, it probably can't be helped. On road bike triples, in spite of trim, there might be some cross-chaining situations where rub is inevitable. Also, with triple-chainring mountain and city bikes with no trim.
By doubles, triples you mean the number of front chainrings?

In my case it's a 24 speed.
​​​​​
Old 10-05-23, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts

​​​​​
3x8 or 2x12?
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-05-23, 11:06 AM

​​​​​
If you're talking about 3x8, yes.

My rule of thumb for tuning and using triples is to be able to work the entire rear cluster from the middle front ring. To get big-big to work without rub would be a bonus, meaning, I wouldn't knock myself out trying to get it to work because this could cause problems on another part of the spectrum and that's what you have two other rings for. But if it does, don't complain, and don't use it all day because the cross-chain border patrol will detain you. And forget about small-small. The chain is going to be too flappy, and the small ring is for climbing, period, so why would you want to use it with a sprinting cog in the rear?
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-05-23, 01:54 PM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 571 Posts
My rule of thumb for tuning and using triples is to be able to work the entire rear cluster from the middle front ring.
I think this is a great approach, and one I use myself.

Most of my bikes are 3x7/8/9, most are flat bar index-shifted, most can use all combinations without rub, all can use reasonable combinations without rub. For fun (and learning, ODC, etc.), I do enjoy trying to tune the drivetrains so that you don't have any rub, ever, regardless of ill-advised gear selection. This is possible on some bikes and I have most of mine there...but it doesn't seem possible on a few of them.

One trick is to use an externally narrower chain than intended. For example, use a 9-speed chain on a 6/7/8-speed drivetrain. You can sometimes escape the rub in certain combinations. Of course, a counterbalance to that is some gear changes (especially front indexed gear changes) can be more sluggish.
Old 10-07-23, 08:26 PM

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
I dialed in a Specialized Crossroads for a new customer today.. It had Horrid Ft. der. noise at either end of the cross-chain world when i started.. It left here silent and shifting better than it ever had.. 3x9 Shimano, Altus front, Deore rear..chain is now a SRAM pc-951.
This "miracle" was performed as part of installing the new chain.
Old 10-07-23, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
With 2 chain rings, it is possible in most situations. With triples, no.
All of my triples work without chain rub, even when cross-chained. It's more difficult to achieve with a triple, but a bike doesn't leave my stand if it rubs in any gear combination. I only go up to 3x8 though, so maybe it's different when you get beyond 8 gears in the rear.

I just bought a 1997 Specialized Sirrus which is a 3x7 road triple, and it rubbed a little in small-small. It took a little time. I ended up having to rotate the front derailleur body by just a hair in order to achieve no rubbing. I agree that's a gear combination that you'd never use, but I wanted it to work without rubbing just as a matter of principle.
Old 10-08-23, 03:06 AM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 648 Posts
I can get my 2x to run the whole cassette without rubbing but I can’t on the 3x
Old 10-08-23, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 1,664 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
All of my triples work without chain rub, even when cross-chained. It's more difficult to achieve with a triple, but a bike doesn't leave my stand if it rubs in any gear combination. I only go up to 3x8 though, so maybe it's different when you get beyond 8 gears in the rear.

I just bought a 1997 Specialized Sirrus which is a 3x7 road triple, and it rubbed a little in small-small. It took a little time. I ended up having to rotate the front derailleur body by just a hair in order to achieve no rubbing. I agree that's a gear combination that you'd never use, but I wanted it to work without rubbing just as a matter of principle.
So you sacrificed the way the derailleur is designed to be adjusted - and presumably shifts best - to make sure you can ride in the granny and 12t cog without noise?

Sound like greasing brake pads to reduce squeal.
Old 10-08-23, 10:46 AM

Chain rub is a function of number of chain rings, width of rear cog cluster, shortness of chain stays, width of chain, and width of front derailleur cage. I just follow manufacturer specs. If you think you can do better, by all means experiment.
Old 10-08-23, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact
So you sacrificed the way the derailleur is designed to be adjusted - and presumably shifts best - to make sure you can ride in the granny and 12t cog without noise?
No, I was correcting a minor assembly error, or call it a "variance" if you like. When this bike was built, whoever installed and adjusted the derailleurs would never have taken the time to get things perfect, like I can and do. Not only does it not rub now, it shifts a little better too.
Old 10-08-23, 12:34 PM

No, I was correcting a minor assembly error, or call it a "variance" if you like. When this bike was built, whoever installed and adjusted the derailleurs would never have taken the time to get things perfect, like I can and do. Not only does it not rub now, it shifts a little better too.
So you are following the manual and it was designed not to rub in crossovers, or you are taking credit for improving the system?

Generally speaking, FDs work best when the instructors are followed, and way too many people don't follow them. Just like chain line, FD adjustment is not art.
Old 10-08-23, 01:59 PM

So you are following the manual and it was designed not to rub in crossovers, or you are taking credit for improving the system?

Generally speaking, FDs work best when the instructors are followed, and way too many people don't follow them. Just like chain line, FD adjustment is not art.
It was not "improving the system". Nothing was modified - this was adjustment of the existing system. And many of us don't need to read instructions for adjusting derailleurs.

I'm getting the impression you haven't worked on that many bikes. Have you ever even installed a FD, yourself?
Old 10-08-23, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
For sure it is possible with higher quality systems well assembled. I use SRAM Force 22 - mechanical and Rival axs (2x12 - electronic) with no rubbing regardless the combination. There is a big noise around "big-big" position, but it comes from "cross chain" contact with teeth. For lower systems or brands there might be problems at extremes.
Old 10-08-23, 04:12 PM

It was not "improving the system". Nothing was modified - this was adjustment of the existing system. And many of us don't need to read instructions for adjusting derailleurs.

I'm getting the impression you haven't worked on that many bikes. Have you ever even installed a FD, yourself?
I get the impression you don't spend any time on this board. I have been the service manager at several high end shops going back to 1990 and have posted a ton of innovative solutions to a range of mechanical, hydraulic and electronic problems that people have requested here. There are maybe 4 or 5 people on this forum that are as knowledgeable and skilled as I am.

It is simply impossible to correctly mount and adjust several of the recent Shimano road derailleurs without the directions. Same to an extent with SRAM Yaw derailleurs. But even older derailleurs, like the first gen 105, have alignment procedures that you won't guess correctly.
Old 10-08-23, 04:40 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,802 Posts
There are maybe 4 or 5 people on this forum that are as knowledgeable and skilled as I am.
AH-HAHAHAHAHA!! That’s why I wouldn’t let you touch my bike with a 10 foot pole.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-08-23, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by smd4
AH-HAHAHAHAHA!! That’s why I wouldn’t let you touch my bike with a 10 foot pole.
I'm sure it would be fine. He'd read the instructions first.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-08-23, 06:42 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,802 Posts
I'm sure it would be fine. He'd read the instructions first.
Old 10-09-23, 04:52 AM

Chain rub is a function of number of chain rings, width of rear cog cluster, shortness of chain stays, width of chain, and width of front derailleur cage. I just follow manufacturer specs. If you think you can do better, by all means experiment.
To me, that's the key. I don't know for sure, but I tend to believe that bicycles are all designed and components specified such that they do not have chain rub in any gear, on paper. I find it hard to believe that a bicycle would make it into production if the design had chain rub built in. But the tolerances are so tight (especially on a triple) that when a human being installs and adjusts the derailleurs, even a small variance in derailleur height, rotation, or adjustment can cause rub. I can always achieve no rub, but they don't always come that way.

Once you start changing crankset, derailleur, rear cluster, or shifters, all bets are off.
Old 10-09-23, 06:37 AM

To me, that's the key. I don't know for sure, but I tend to believe that bicycles are all designed and components specified such that they do not have chain rub in any gear, on paper. I find it hard to believe that a bicycle would make it into production if the design had chain rub built in. But the tolerances are so tight (especially on a triple) that when a human being installs and adjusts the derailleurs, even a small variance in derailleur height, rotation, or adjustment can cause rub. I can always achieve no rub, but they don't always come that way.

Once you start changing crankset, derailleur, rear cluster, or shifters, all bets are off.
Many modern doubles with 11 or 12 speed cassettes will rub the inside edge of the outer chainring in the small/small crossover. Shimano combats this by moving the chainrings further apart than Campagnolo and SRAM, and using dish shaped outer chainrings.

And that's before you even install the front derailleur.

But maybe you believe different.
Old 10-09-23, 07:17 AM

Many modern doubles with 11 or 12 speed cassettes will rub the inside edge of the outer chainring in the small/small crossover. Shimano combats this by moving the chainrings further apart than Campagnolo and SRAM, and using dish shaped outer chainrings.

And that's before you even install the front derailleur.

But maybe you believe different.
The question is whether there is chain rub while the bicycle is still in AutoCad (or whatever they use). I tend to think that no, the design does not have chain rub built in. I think if you give me any stock bicycle, I can adjust things so there's no rub. But I may be wrong.
Old 10-09-23, 09:25 AM

The question is whether there is chain rub while the bicycle is still in AutoCad (or whatever they use). I tend to think that no, the design does not have chain rub built in. I think if you give me any stock bicycle, I can adjust things so there's no rub. But I may be wrong.
Correct: You are wrong.
Old 10-09-23, 09:40 AM

Correct: You are wrong.
Maybe you should provide some evidence and examples. I don't think anyone is going to think something's true just because you say it. Especially you.
Old 10-09-23, 09:51 AM

Maybe you should provide some evidence and examples. I don't think anyone is going to think something's true just because you say it. Especially you.
Who are you, again?

https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...e-gws-wiz-serp
Old 10-09-23, 10:05 AM

OK, you've shown that you can put random words into Google, but failed to address the actual question. Nothing there supports what you're saying, at all. Completely irrelevant list of Google search results.

You seem to be one of a handful of posters here that desperately want to be a real bicycle mechanic, but in fact are simply posing as one on the internet. I'll reiterate what I said before - I don't think you've ever actually installed a FD, or done much actual wrenching on bikes in general. You don't seem to actually know what you're talking about. Judging by other responses, I see I'm not alone in that belief. I wouldn't let you within 10 feet of my bicycle, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.