Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Soul Wheel Owners... Post your pics

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Soul Wheel Owners... Post your pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 04:45 AM

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider
thanks for posting this pic. i'm picking up my shiny, new, white Onix on friday and was wondering what it would look like with those white rims. hot.

but i have a question for you Soul owners... i'm new to this forum and only first heard of Soul and Psimet and Williams last week. before that, i had been cruising around ebay toying with the idea of upgrading from Ksyrium Elite to SL or R-SYS. i've also checked out Reynolds and Easton. going back to Soul and Psimet... just quicky looking at the weight specs, i don't see an advantage for these wheelsets. so i'm wondering what's the attraction to these wheelsmiths. is it the something-different factor or the support-the-little-guy factor? if so, i can relate, especially to the former. but is there a performance benefit that escapes me? i'm admittedly/clearly not that sophisticated in my knowledge of wheelsets.
To be honest, I never base a decision on "supporting the little guy."
For me it was good reviews + weight + price
Old 02-15-11, 06:23 AM

Bikes: A trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
does anyone know what happened to the 24mm rim width s3.0? i was really interested in that wheel, but could never find it on the website.
I asked him a few days ago about that and he answered they are going priced the same as the SL and they will weight about 1500g if you want more info just ask him.
Old 02-15-11, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider
thanks for posting this pic. i'm picking up my shiny, new, white Onix on friday and was wondering what it would look like with those white rims. hot.

but i have a question for you Soul owners... i'm new to this forum and only first heard of Soul and Psimet and Williams last week. before that, i had been cruising around ebay toying with the idea of upgrading from Ksyrium Elite to SL or R-SYS. i've also checked out Reynolds and Easton. going back to Soul and Psimet... just quicky looking at the weight specs, i don't see an advantage for these wheelsets. so i'm wondering what's the attraction to these wheelsmiths. is it the something-different factor or the support-the-little-guy factor? if so, i can relate, especially to the former. but is there a performance benefit that escapes me? i'm admittedly/clearly not that sophisticated in my knowledge of wheelsets.
From my understanding, Mavic uses proprietary spokes, so getting a spoke replaced could be an expensive option. SOUL & Psimet generally use off the shelf components (correct me if I'm wrong) - so getting a spoke replaced isn't going to be a pain in the ass.

The reason for me to go with SOUL is no one really offers a 40mm Alu rim at an attractive weight & price. I was also able to customize the decals and I really like the look of deeper wheels (can't afford to go into the $600+ range yet).
Old 02-15-11, 10:55 AM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, so as long as we're asking questions here, what is the advantage of the 3.0 and 4.0 over the 2.0. The 2.0 weighs less. Is it simply appearance? Weight ratings are the same, too.
Old 02-15-11, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
OK, so as long as we're asking questions here, what is the advantage of the 3.0 and 4.0 over the 2.0. The 2.0 weighs less. Is it simply appearance? Weight ratings are the same, too.
As rim depth increases, aerodynamic performance increases (the significance of aerodynamic performance increase in rim depth sizes seems to be a weekly discussion here on BF). I would think as the rim depth increases, so does stiffness and weight (if material is the same).
Old 02-15-11, 12:00 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke
As rim depth increases, aerodynamic performance increases (the significance of aerodynamic performance increase in rim depth sizes seems to be a weekly discussion here on BF). I would think as the rim depth increases, so does stiffness and weight (if material is the same).
The thing about weight vs. aerodynamics, as i understand it:
we talk about grams as weight, but it's really a measure of mass.
"weight" matters most when you're overcoming gravity - when you're climbing.
on flats, inertia matters. a more massive wheel will be harder to accelerate and to stop, but also easier to keep in motion except for wind resistance. so a little heavier on flats shouldn't matter if it's more aerodynamic.

yea?
Old 02-15-11, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
The thing about weight vs. aerodynamics, as i understand it:
we talk about grams as weight, but it's really a measure of mass.
"weight" matters most when you're overcoming gravity - when you're climbing.
on flats, inertia matters. a more massive wheel will be harder to accelerate and to stop, but also easier to keep in motion except for wind resistance. so a little heavier on flats shouldn't matter if it's more aerodynamic.

yea?
I agree with what you said, but am no expert. All the mumbo jumbo you speak of there is pretty much refers to inertia, inertianinjasan
Old 02-15-11, 12:20 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with what you said, but am no expert. All the mumbo jumbo you speak of there is pretty much refers to inertia, inertianinjasan
heh, i actually forgot that my handle had the word inertia in it.
Old 02-15-11, 12:47 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you. That is all I was looking for. NOT looking to re-start a debate on it - I'm sure if I needed more a search would come up with many threads with hours of reading. It's been bugging me, though. Now I know.
Old 02-15-11, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but who sells 1330 gram wheels for $500 out of all the big manufacturers? They charge over 1000 for something like that(even at that price they only offer 1450-1500gm wheels).
Old 02-15-11, 01:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kabex
Correct me if I'm wrong but who sells 1330 gram wheels for $500 out of all the big manufacturers? They charge over 1000 for something like that(even at that price they only offer 1450-1500gm wheels).
i looked and i couldn't find any. only lighter ones were a set of magnesium wheels which were expensivo
Old 02-15-11, 01:48 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hello everybody! I wanted to ask soul wheel owners what they recommend for a beginner rider. I currently have shimano r500 wheels which i want to replace soon. I usually ride On flat ground so the s4.0 look like a good choice. But when I get to a hill will they slow me down alot? Is better to get the 2.0s or the 3.0s instead for all around good wheels. I am a young rider(almost 16) and I am looking to join a bike club once I move to simi valley(hilly place) in SoCal. I want to get good quality equipment before going on longer and faster rides. Thanks!
Old 02-15-11, 02:16 PM
master auto tech

Bikes: ,system six ss, , caad9 cross, supersix evo hm, giant omiuim

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishymamba
Hello everybody! I wanted to ask soul wheel owners what they recommend for a beginner rider. I currently have shimano r500 wheels which i want to replace soon. I usually ride On flat ground so the s4.0 look like a good choice. But when I get to a hill will they slow me down alot? Is better to get the 2.0s or the 3.0s instead for all around good wheels. I am a young rider(almost 16) and I am looking to join a bike club once I move to simi valley(hilly place) in SoCal. I want to get good quality equipment before going on longer and faster rides. Thanks!
for your first set would get 3.0's or the sl version, would a good all around wheelset...........
Old 02-15-11, 02:21 PM

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9, 2009 F7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-15-11, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9, 2009 F7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-15-11, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishymamba
In the same boat(except for the age thing). I think I'm going to go with the 3.0SL. Still very light, and aero. They are actually EXTREMELY light for a 31mm rim. I mean, 1400g for an aero wheel. I can't think of anything in the ballpark for $500.
Old 02-15-11, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not only that, but the "big manufacturers" will get that light by reducing the rim height losing aerodynamics and durability and still be overpriced vs. Soul.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Old 02-15-11, 03:38 PM

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but who sells 1330 gram wheels for $500
good point, i must have looked at everything except the 2.0. most of what i did see was ~1500 grams. interesting.

Last edited by kevrider; 02-15-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 04:04 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Why are the 3.0 EXPERT wheels cheap? Do bearings cost that much? Also do they sell the 3.0s in white? I want them to match my bike. The main reason I like the 4.0s is that they look really awesome(in White).
Old 02-16-11, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1297839126_picsay-1297839126.jpg by sdsdcv, on Flickr
Old 02-16-11, 08:26 AM
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to get my order placed for some 2.0's. Sean says 3-4 weeks. Looking forward to getting them though.
Old 02-16-11, 08:33 AM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remitted payment today for white S4.0 White with red hubs, and an S2.0Max with red spokes.

Can't wait to get them. Would be my first experience with Soul wheels. No pictures yet.

Last edited by FrankBattle; 02-16-11 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankBattle
Remitted payment today for an white S4.0 with red hubs, and an S2.0Max with red spokes.

Can't wait to get them. Would be my first experience with Soul wheels. No pictures yet.
That's going to be awesome. Post pics of both when you get them
Old 02-16-11, 10:07 AM

Bikes: 2010 Pianrello FP3 Ultergra, 2008 Devinci CX, 2006 Fuji Absloute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S4.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6250358.JPG (57.7 KB, 324 views)
Old 02-16-11, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x43x
wife in white with pink nipples.
tmi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.