Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Maruishi Roadace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thank-you for taking the time to check the date codes. While the date code for the rear derailleur is missing a character, the front derailleur was manufactured in November 1987. The timeframe corresponds with the serial number and confirms that it is almost certainly a 1988 model year bicycle that was manufactured in very late 1987.

I did manage to find an instruction sheet for these NP-41 derailleurs with an October 1986 date, so they appear to have been introduced for the 1987 model year, which is consistent with blind P-pivot feature. The instructions are printed in Japanese, supporting the possibility that they may have been available only in the Japanese and surrounding markets, and explaining why they are not included in the American market catalogues of the era. It's enlightening to know that Shimano continued to offer Positron after the introduction of SIS. It would appear that Positron had a much better acceptance in some markets outside North America, where its reputation is poor, though I personally found it to perform as claimed.
Thank you for answer, your information is very important for me) I thought that this bike was sold only in Japan, beacouse i could not find enaught info about it, only one lot in japanese auction. I think this bike was not so popular.
Old 09-07-22, 08:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i saw an offer for sale, i want only look, but name Maruishi was intersted me. I tried to find any info about this bike and company. When i met whith seller and saw on bike "Cr-Mo tripple butted frame" i immediately decided to byu it)
Old 09-07-22, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And i was surprised by drop bar handlebar. I think it was no changed. But what is the reason of that handle bar and oval chainrings on city bike?)
Old 09-07-22, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, i find some pages on forum, my Maruishi is a touring bike, i like it)
Old 09-08-22, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanat
Oh, i find some pages on forum, my Maruishi is a touring bike, i like it)

This would not be considered a touring bicycle for its era, at least not in North America. Touring bicycles are designed to carry heavy loads over long distances and trips of multiple days. During the era in question, they typically featured very wide range gearing, cantilever brakesets and lots of amenities to carry heavy loads over long distances, in all types of weather,

Wide gearing was typically accomplished using a triple crankset with a wide range freewheel or cassette on the rear wheel. While your bicycle has a triple crankset, the free wheel is not as wide as I would expect on a touring bicycle. To me, the gearing is more what I what expect on a light duty, recreational bicycle, used by a casual cyclist. Non-round chanrings enjoyed a surge in popularity after 1983, when Shimano introduced their Bio-Pace chainrings. They were thought to be more efficient and less strenuous on the knees. They were spec'd on most levels and types of bicycles, with the notable exception of high end racing bicycles. Your bicycle has a crankset with a integral disc. These were generally spec'd on lower end, city bicycles, where the extra weight was not a concern and the disc decreased the probability of pant legs getting shredded by the chain and or chainring teeth. Touring cyclists typically ride in shorts, so this was not an issue.

The brakes on your bicycle are an inexpensive side -pull, caliper style brake. Touring bicycles of this era typically used cantilever brakes, which provide more stopping power and clearance. for mudguards and wider tyres.

While you bicycle has some amenities found on touring bicycles there are not as many as I would expect for the era. For instance, there is only one set of bosses for a single water bottle. Touring bicycles of the era typically had provisions to carry at least two bottles and generally three, as you didn't want to stopping every couple of hours to find a place refill your water bottle. While it can accommodate a front rack, there are no seat stay eyelets for mounting a rear rack. Most touring bicycles carrying most of their load on the rear. Separate eyelets on the seat stays are desirable to provide a stable rack mount. By this time, most front touring racks were mounted lower, on the fork blades to provide a lower centre of gravity. The high mount rack on your bicycle is an older style that was often carried over onto city bicycles, to allow for carrying a light load for commuting and running errands. Your bicycle is also fitted with wheels having axle nuts. Touring bicycles typically used quick release wheels to facilitate flat repair and not having to carry an extra tool just to remove and install the wheels.

I'm not seeing a touring bicycle, though that definition is somewhat flexible. With the exception of the triple butted CrMo frame, everything seems to be entry level and it's not the type of bicycle I'd take on a multi-day ride with heavy load. At best, I might adventure an hour or so into the countryside. To me, it seems more appropriate for commuting, running errands and light duty, recreational riding.
Old 09-08-22, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This would not be considered a touring bicycle for its era, at least not in North America. Touring bicycles are designed to carry heavy loads ....
Yes, i am agree with you. This bike only for ligth touring, ultra light bike packing)
Old 09-08-22, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I was in a flower shop and I saw an old Japanese bicycle. Of the inscriptions, I found only the frame number, everything else is damaged and painted over. Tires 26 1 3/8", bridgestone, made in japan. Suddenly it's a coincidence and he is also Maruishi) I hope)
Old 09-08-22, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EH09122
Old 09-11-22, 07:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello my friends)

I find number 753 at the bottom of crank on my Maruishi bike. Serial number is on seat downtube, but what does mean 753 number? Maybe it is steel grade Reynolds 753? Thanks a lot for any information

Last edited by Kanat; 09-12-22 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 04:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone
I found sticker and I think it's about grade of steel, I think it means Reynolds 753A, and what do you think?
Dimensions of OD pipes are in inches, 1" top pipe, 1 1/8 other.
Thanks)

R753A
Old 09-13-22, 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=Kanat;22645408]Hello everyone
I found sticker and I think it's about grade of steel, I think it means Reynolds 753A, and what do you think?
Thanks{/QUOTE]

In this case, the 753 and 753A markings have nothing to do with the tubing grade. The 1" and 1-1-1/8" outer diameters were standard, imperial, tube dimensions during the era in question. If you want to know the grade of tubing,baring an actual decal, the seat post diameter is the best indicator.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-14-22, 02:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=T-Mar;22645424]
Originally Posted by Kanat
Hello everyone
Thanks{/QUOTE]

In this case, the 753 and 753A markings have nothing to do with the tubing grade. The 1" and 1-1-1/8" outer diameters were standard, imperial, tube dimensions during the era in question. If you want to know the grade of tubing,baring an actual decal, the seat post diameter is the best indicator.
Thanks a lot for your help)
OD saddle tube is 26.8mm and i did collage with other photos.

Old 09-15-22, 06:07 AM

Thanks a lot for your help)
OD saddle tube is 26.8mm and i did collage with other photos.
The seat post is about 3 sizes too small for a Reynolds 753 frame. However, it is in the range for a CrMo tubeset. Given the era and level of the components, it is likely one of the more economical, seamed tubesets that were available. Everything considered, I wouldn't be surprised if the forks and stays are a cost concession and employ a lower grade steel.

The amount of deviation in the saddle's date code from that on the seat post and the frame's serial number, suggests that it has been replaced.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-15-22 at 06:12 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-15-22, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seat post is about 3 sizes too small for a Reynolds 753 frame. However, it is in the range for a CrMo tubeset. Given the era and level of the components, it is likely one of the more economical, seamed tubesets that were available. Everything considered, I wouldn't be surprised if the forks and stays are a cost concession and employ a lower grade steel.

The amount of deviation in the saddle's date code from that on the seat post and the frame's serial number, suggests that it has been replaced.
T-Mar, thank you so much for information about this bike
Old 09-16-22, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts

Here's a Japan-only Maruishi RE-C-A touring / camping bike that I restored and just recently sold. Full article with the history and catalog, here: https://djcatnap.com/maruishi-empero...-touring-bike/
Old 09-16-22, 03:21 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I just own a Maruishi frame, awaiting paint whenever I can get around to the time to do it.

Who rides the Maruishi MT18?
Old 02-17-23, 02:10 PM
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
I have a line on this one but I can't go see it till Monday. Yes, the lack of a front wheel in a very high bike theft city concerns me. I'm not a good judge of character but I'm hoping it's legit. I haven't seen a lot of info on Maruishis so I'm guessing this is sometime in the late 80's to 90's, based on the pictures in this thread. Particularly the one where there's a similar paint scheme (except for the white rear socks) and triathlon type pics on the top tube.

Old 02-17-23, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rgvg
I have a line on this one but I can't go see it till Monday. Yes, the lack of a front wheel in a very high bike theft city concerns me. I'm not a good judge of character but I'm hoping it's legit. I haven't seen a lot of info on Maruishis so I'm guessing this is sometime in the late 80's to 90's, based on the pictures in this thread. Particularly the one where there's a similar paint scheme (except for the white rear socks) and triathlon type pics on the top tube.
Hey RG, go nab it and do tell! I know I would if it were priced right and gargantuan.
Old 02-20-23, 12:33 PM
Car free since 2018

Okay I went to pick it up. Nothing special and the kangaroo count is unfortunately zero.
Serial starts with H so I'm thinking 1988 manufacture. Blue cr-mo sticker so likely straight gauge cr-mo.
Only 1 set bottle boss, 27" wheels. Front and rear dropout eyelets, mid fork bosses, triple crank.
I'd say a solid lower end touring bike. Seat tube is about 51 ctt, top tube is 54 ctc.

The headset is weird. It has no flats so I'm not sure how to get it undone. Tange x-unique or unique-x? It feels plasticky or rubbery. If anybody has tips on how to get it off, let me know...

I'll clean it up and take better pics when I get a chance, but I'm not in a hurry though.

Old 02-20-23, 01:56 PM
Car free since 2018

I googled it and the headset is covered by a cap. So it just slides off. I suppose what makes it "unique" is that the cap apparently came in different colors. It might not be easily replaceable. There are not enough threads on the fork to just add a top nut.

The derailleurs are Shimano SIS so it is indexed, 6 cogs on the rear. The cranks are Sugino VP.
Old 02-20-23, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
I'm guessing this is the successor to the lower-level (TA15) of the TourAce series; higher-end would've probably had a 40-spoke rear, and definitely DB tubes. Still, being one of the last of the Japan canti tourers; I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Interesting that they hung onto non-aero brake levers and half-step-plus-granny gearing all the way up to 1988.
Old 02-21-23, 09:34 PM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
That could easily become a super-commuter with the mid-fork eyelets allowing for an easy to mount front rack. 700c conversion should be doable too, making room for fatter tires or fenders. She’s a nice bike, but you also wouldn’t feel terrible if something happened to it.

nice find!
Old 02-22-23, 08:14 AM
Banned.

Glad you bagged it. It is amazing they only put one set of bottle bosses on a touring bike. I mean, they bothered with a pump peg!

That headset is "fashionable". Looks like a knurled texture to be grabbed by hand. Hmmm. At least if it's rubbery it might have prevented water leakage and corrosion.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 02-22-23 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 05-15-23, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Here'a Mine...

Likes For Billydog:
Old 07-19-23, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, great looking bikes!

I got tipped off on the Nishiki thread that I may have purchased a Maruishi (was sold as a Nishiki), wondering if someone here has some extra info.

It's been stripped and painted over, so I can't say for sure what it is, but it came with:
Shimano 105 1050 groupset
Shimano 105 headset
Shimano 105 crankset with 2x Biopace oval rings
Araya 700c rims and 105 hubs
The seat tube (not the BB) has the serial number stamped on the bottom part - GS71399
The fork (hopefully it's the original one) has "Ishiwata" stamped on the steerer tube

Any information would be very much appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.