Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 06:47 PM

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Bike Myths We Wish Would Die:

How about the myth that people who use big words and argue on forums are actually intelligent.
Old 02-23-23, 06:54 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...cool. If you can get Open AI to agree with him, it can get a like from tomato coupe .
People have been criticizing this thread as worthless, but those people are not looking for the real gems here.

​​​You understand that I only posted the AI stuff because another guy said that his doing the same thing proved everyone else wrong? Point is that AI can be manipulated to give you whatever result you want.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-23-23, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts

You are correct in your statement, but I think if you check it out, you'll find I recall this correctly. There are numerous references that a quick Google will provide for you.

“This means that dropping just 10 pounds per wheel with the addition of a lighter set of racing-oriented wheels would equate to a reduction of almost 120 pounds of sprung weight. In most drag racing instances, 100 pounds lost equates to a tenth of a second or one car length in the quarter-mile. It’s a small amount on paper, but it adds up if you’re racing competitively.”
Your Google source was garbage.
Old 02-23-23, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Cats are too lazy to vote, so it's really not an issue.
Maybe they just have no desire to participate in a system that fields such weak and incompetent candidates. Elections offering no choice but humans can't possibly end well.
Old 02-23-23, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That's incorrect. A wheel stands on its spokes.
Is there something I'm missing? I think of standing as compressive force and there's none of that in spokes.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-23-23, 07:28 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
...I honestly do not understand what you're going on about. Someone told me my analogy was "about two very different things". How do I most directly explain the error of that, without referencing the definition of an analogy ?

....I've never claimed to be "above the fray". I just have other stuff to do. Here's the same thought from PeteHski , in his learning thread.

Go say something mean to him, now. Maybe it will work better on him than it does on me.

Considering that you ignored the whole pointing out a similarity between otherwise dissimilar things part of the definition, you obviously didn't post the definition for any legitimate reason. I was going to post that HTupolev had actually correctly posted that your analogy didn't work because the supposed similarity (y'know, the part that makes it an analogy rather than just a comparison) wasn't at all similar, but I see he beat me to it, and said it far better than I could have. Either you didn't actually read the definition yourself, or you were being disingenuous. Or maybe you really don't know what an analogy is.

The "I have other things to do" is not something I took exception to. It's the car wreck nonsense, where you denigrated the people you have been yammering at endlessly. PeteHski didn't say anything resembling your crack about the car wreck, and I notice you don't refer to the car wreck thing at all in this refutation of me. So, let's figure it out--according to you, it's not mean when you tell a bunch of people that they are a car wreck, but it's mean when I do it to you? Stop being a hypocrite.

Oh, btw, you've posted way too much on this stupid topic for anyone to believe you really do have other stuff to do.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-23-23 at 07:34 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-23-23, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seen a lot of 23mm tires lately?
Did you want to see some? They ride great, especially at 140 psi. Pretty fast too, but I heard that mountain bike tires were the fastest in the world because of their size and squishiness.
Old 02-23-23, 08:27 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
...so rotating mass was never a topic in the car world, back in the '50's and '60's ? OK. If you really want to argue about that simple statement (the origin of the concept as coming from the road bike contingent), you'll need to start another thread. Do me a favor and start it in the road forum, so it can take on a life of its own.
Old 02-23-23, 08:29 PM
Friendship is Magic

​​​You understand that I only posted the AI stuff because another guy said that his doing the same thing proved everyone else wrong? Point is that AI can be manipulated to give you whatever result you want.
...do you understand that my comment referenced the "like" it got, and who provided it ?
You appear to be fully involved in this "discussion" now, and considering the fact that you came late to the party, I guess you have nothing else to do.
Old 02-23-23, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
...so rotating mass was never a topic in the car world, back in the '50's and '60's ? OK.
Isn’t Pete British? He probably has zero knowledge of American cars from the 50s and 60s.

Last edited by smd4; 02-23-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 08:42 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I'm not saying that it's a poor analogy because there isn't mathematical equivalence between the things being analogized. I think it's a poor analogy because I don't think that the attributes being analogized are good analogs in the context of the discussion.

Your analogy supposes that ignoring a physical contribution on the basis of magnitude is to bicycle performance analysis as taking the limit as the delta approaches zero is to calculus. And I just don't see this as a useful way to explain one side of the analogy or the other: the former is a judgement of importance within its context, while the latter is simply methodological. You're not taking the limit as dx->0 because the error in the un-limited slope or reimann sum or whatever formula is a low-importance component of the underlying problem, you're doing it because the error only exists in the first place as an artifact of how you're performing the solution.
....do you think it might pass your analysis as a simple statement of how in two very different contexts, smaller quantities can be ignored ? I would reference some quote from the history of how early mathematicians first came to the idea, but livedarklions will just be offended that I called your attention to such an obvious and well known point. So that's out. Once more, I have not, and did not, propose this as some sort of "solution" to the problem of ignoring small quantities in road bike wheel performance. And to suggest that I have done so is, at the very least, misleading.

I'm not offended by your insistence on mathematical exactitude, just puzzled as to why, in this case, an offhand loose analogy to ignoring small quantities triggers it.
Old 02-23-23, 08:43 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by smd4
Isn’t Pete British? He probably has zero knowledge of American cars from the 50s and 60s.
...good point. When you run Lucas electrical systems, things often stop rotating in a hurry.
Old 02-23-23, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
....do you think it might pass your analysis as a simple statement of how in two very different contexts, smaller quantities can be ignored ?
I mean, that's certainly something that a person can say. It seems like a comparison that confuses the issue, rather than explains it, though.

I would reference some quote from the history of how early mathematicians first came to the idea, but livedarklions will just be offended that I called your attention to such an obvious and well known point.

I'm actually genuinely unsure of which quote you'd point to. The first thing that comes to mind might be something like Euler's comment about infinitely small quantities, but it wouldn't address my objection. Or is there something more Euclidean and geometric that you'd go for? There's a lot of vibrant proto-calculus there, but I'm admittedly not very familiar with that realm of mathematics.

Once more, I have not, and did not, propose this as some sort of "solution" to the problem of ignoring small quantities in road bike wheel performance. And to suggest that I have done so is, at the very least, misleading.
I don't think I suggested that.

I'm not offended by your insistence on mathematical exactitude
I don't think I'm insisting on much mathematical exactitude.

//============================

...Maybe the problem here is that we're talking around each other. Frankly it's not totally clear to me what you were visualizing when you suggested your plot with two lines. What two specific cases are the two lines representing, and what are the axes?

Last edited by HTupolev; 02-23-23 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 09:35 PM
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by HTupolev

//============================

...Maybe the problem here is that we're talking around each other. Frankly it's not totally clear to me what you were visualizing when you suggested your plot with two lines. What two specific cases are the two lines representing, and what are the axes?
\

...given the simplified expression of the weight added to the frame of the bicycle increasing at a value of 1, while the corresponding same weight added to the wheels increases at a value of 1.85. in terms of required force for acceleration. (AFAIK, this was the last time anyone here agreed on much, and it was only briefly), It seems like a simple graph of two divergent lines on a simple positive x,y axis is adequate to represent this idea. One line has a run of 1 and a rise of 1 (weight added to the frame). The other has a run of 1 and a rise of 1.85 (weight added to the wheels.)

At the lower end, most of the existing competition road wheelsets appear somewhere. Farther along, are heavier wheels currently available, like 29er wheels with fat tires. Even farther along are older bike wheels, still hanging around, but usually only appearing on older bikes from the 1950's, some of which have steel wheel rims. Somewhere on the graph of these two lines is a point where the distance between them becomes so noticeable that it becomes undeniable. I don't know where that point is.

But I do have some idea that the reason all those competition road wheels are within the small range in which they sit, is because the makers of them have some idea about how few would be used, were they to exceed that practical limit.
Old 02-23-23, 09:45 PM
Friendship is Magic

It's the car wreck nonsense, where you denigrated the people you have been yammering at endlessly. PeteHski didn't say anything resembling your crack about the car wreck, and I notice you don't refer to the car wreck thing at all in this refutation of me. So, let's figure it out--according to you, it's not mean when you tell a bunch of people that they are a car wreck, but it's mean when I do it to you? Stop being a hypocrite.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, but having seen it a few times, it is readily identified as yet another cheap debating trick ... used by the kind of people who seem to think each post stands alone and no on can remember how to scroll up.
...when I scroll up, I get this. I like the "stop being a hypocrite" part. But that's just me.

It's definitely been circling the drain.
Dunno, but there's enough crap in it to clog the plumbing.
...I guess I have never seen you on a tear before livedarklions . I don't normally hang out here in general much. I know that any advice I give you to chill, and take a few deep breaths, will only further incur your righteous wrath. But really, I can assure you I am not worth all this indignation.
Old 02-23-23, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Yes, AI is really where I go to get to logical conclusions--like this one:
In conclusion, there are strong arguments in favor of amending the US Constitution to give dogs the right to vote. Dogs are sentient beings who deserve to have a say in the decisions that affect their lives, and granting them the right to vote would help to ensure that their interests are taken into consideration in the political process.
I think my AI is smarter than yours.

Q: Is there any case to be made for allowing dogs to vote in the United States?

A:No, there is no case to be made for allowing dogs to vote in the United States.

Voting is a right and responsibility that is reserved for human citizens who are able to understand and make informed decisions about the candidates and issues at hand. Dogs, as much as we love them, lack the cognitive abilities to comprehend and participate in the voting process.

Furthermore, allowing animals to vote would open up a whole host of logistical and ethical issues. For example, how would we determine which dogs are eligible to vote? How would we ensure that their votes are not influenced by their owners or other external factors? It would also raise questions about the value and representation of animal interests in society.

In short, while we cherish our furry companions, they are not eligible to participate in the democratic process. Voting is a privilege reserved for human citizens who are able to understand and make informed decisions.
Old 02-23-23, 10:26 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff neese
... Voting is a privilege reserved for human citizens who are able to understand and make informed decisions.
rotflmao
Old 02-23-23, 11:07 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That's incorrect. A wheel stands on its spokes.
Thanks for repeating that quote. It's been driving me nuts trying to remember where that came from. The google, not my memory, provided the answer. It was Jobst Brandt in his great book, The Bicycle Wheel. He based the unusual statement on the fact that only the bottom spokes noticeably change tension as the wheel goes around. He said that well, they are compressed, which technically is not true, they just suffer a slight change in tension. But he was a stubborn guy and wouldn't take it back. He was also wrong about exactly what happens down there. On a trad shallow rim, the bottom spoke or two do have a slight loss in tension. However to keep the wheel balanced, the spokes on either side of the detensioned spokes have a slightly increased tension.

Here's some more on that from 2018: Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel"

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-23-23 at 11:12 PM.
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 02-23-23, 11:25 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Did you want to see some? They ride great, especially at 140 psi. Pretty fast too, but I heard that mountain bike tires were the fastest in the world because of their size and squishiness.
I guess if you think feeling every ripple, crack, and pebble under your tire is a great ride, you’re right. Yet - if you are right - the mechanics who put together the bikes for the fastest and highest paid racers in the world are choosing to handicap their riders with wider tires at lower pressures. Why would they do that?
Old 02-23-23, 11:31 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Is there something I'm missing? I think of standing as compressive force and there's none of that in spokes.
“THE WHEEL STANDS ON ITS SPOKES
Of course the wheel is not supported by the bottom spokes only. Without the rest of the spokes, the bottom ones would have no tension. Standing, in this case, means that the spokes at the bottom are the ones that change stress; they are being shortened and respond structurally as rigid columns. They are rigid as long as they remain tensioned.”

— Brandt, J., The Bicycle Wheel

Old 02-23-23, 11:34 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thanks for repeating that quote. It's been driving me nuts trying to remember where that came from. The google, not my memory, provided the answer. It was Jobst Brandt in his great book, The Bicycle Wheel. He based the unusual statement on the fact that only the bottom spokes noticeably change tension as the wheel goes around. He said that well, they are compressed, which technically is not true, they just suffer a slight change in tension. But he was a stubborn guy and wouldn't take it back. He was also wrong about exactly what happens down there. On a trad shallow rim, the bottom spoke or two do have a slight loss in tension. However to keep the wheel balanced, the spokes on either side of the detensioned spokes have a slightly increased tension.

Here's some more on that from 2018: Jobst Brandt "The Bicycle Wheel"
Does this mean both “standing” and “hanging” is happening? That would make a lot of sense to me (a contractor, not an engineer).
Old 02-24-23, 02:24 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s amazing how many errors there are in one paragraph.
Old 02-24-23, 03:39 AM

...so rotating mass was never a topic in the car world, back in the '50's and '60's ? OK. If you really want to argue about that simple statement (the origin of the concept as coming from the road bike contingent), you'll need to start another thread. Do me a favor and start it in the road forum, so it can take on a life of its own.
It's irrelevant. We are discussing bike myths, where rotating mass has no more or less significance than static mass. If you think rotating mass is more critical, then that's your delusion.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-24-23, 03:50 AM

\

At the lower end, most of the existing competition road wheelsets appear somewhere. Farther along, are heavier wheels currently available, like 29er wheels with fat tires. Even farther along are older bike wheels, still hanging around, but usually only appearing on older bikes from the 1950's, some of which have steel wheel rims. Somewhere on the graph of these two lines is a point where the distance between them becomes so noticeable that it becomes undeniable. I don't know where that point is.
This is just a pointless ramble which has nothing to do with the actual myth that I proposed.
Old 02-24-23, 04:16 AM

This is true.

Rotational inertia is often discussed in motorsport, which is why I'm familiar with it. In the bike world its importance is often grossly overstated (Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Jeff Neese) and hence the popular myth surrounding it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.