Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod vs. 2015 Cervelo R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2016 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod vs. 2015 Cervelo R3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Ultegra; Specialized Epic Comp FSR; Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Dura-Ace 2; Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I ... was told the Supersix is renowned for being very stiff, but not so much for compliance... .
I really have to chime in here as I had been riding a 2014 Specialized Roubaix Elite 105, and just over a month ago I bought a 2015 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Dura-Ace2. Having been a cyclist for just over two years, i still consider myself quite inexperienced, especially with regard to gearing, groupsets, cadence, and strength (and probably a host of other cycling aspects that I can't even wrap my head around yet). My Roubaix is an endurance bike with a compact (50/34) chainring and a 12-30 cogset. I bought it because the Sierra foothill roads I ride can be quite bumpy and irregular, and because I wanted to be able to climb anything! And, I pretty much can.

Nonetheless, I caught the cycling bug, and I wanted a lighter, more performance-oriented bike, but I didn't want to sacrifice comfort. So, I established a 16 mile test route on my Roubaix and went out to test a Tarmac Comp UDi2, a Domane 5.9 UDi2, and, of course, the Supersix Evo Hi-Mod D-A2. I also was fortunate enough to be able to ride a Cervelo R3 twice up Lookout Mountain in Colorado a few months before these test rides, and that's what probably gave me the idea that I could actually handle a more race-oriented bike. The Supersix preformed head and shoulders above the others on my unscientific but hilly test route. I have to admit that I was somewhat afraid that I wouldn't be able to handle a performance-oriented bike with a mid-compact (52/36) chainring and an 11-28 cogset, but after 16 miles of climbing and descending, I was sold. And while the Roubaix is very comfortable, I was delighted and surprised with how the S-Six seemed to smooth out country roads. Truthfully, I don't feel much of a difference in comfort between the two bikes -assuming that comfort is what the bike shop employee meant by "compliance." The Roubaix does feel a bit more comfortable at the handlebars, quite possibly due to the effect of the Zertz inserts in the forks, but I don't plan to get rid of the Roubaix and hope to take some rides over 75 miles next season. For now, I use the S-Six for rides of 25 miles or less around my home. Lots of challenging climbs, rough roads, but little traffic! Really enjoy the ride of the Supersix!