Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Asymmetrical

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Asymmetrical

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 09:21 PM

Bikes: About 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Asymmetry

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'm not sure what information you're still looking for? Not being snarky, just a legitimate question. As already stated be me and others, a non-symmetric body is by far more the norm than exception and making your bike work for you starts with making adjustments to what you ride. Most of us can just make small adjustments and will be fine long term but others may develop long term damage to their bodies by not making the right corrections but there is no way we can determine that for you here. We all have limits as to how much effort and $$$$ we want to spend on this so you have to set your own limits. You have to take it one step at a time so let's start with your wheel that appears to be off. Do some measuring to determine if it is, or isn't, and go from there to correct the wheel or your setup or something else. Lots and lots of info available on the net about solutions and body symmetry.
Sorry?
I’m answered already. Looking for a diagnosis not interested in treatment. I’m good knowing that most/many feel that asymmetry is real. I’m not alone. I suspected as much.
Not snarky, me or anyone. It’s a hobby not a profession for me.
Cheers HVAC
Old 07-19-23, 08:14 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,347 Posts
While riding yesterday I remembered your thread. In my case I noticed more of the left side of the tire when going straight. Might right eye is my dominant eye. So it makes sense to me. My left eye is in a better position to see the left side of the tire while my right eye is almost centered on the tire.

While there might be a lot of other minor things about you that also are asymmetrical, the stereo vision is likely the main reason. The bike itself should be more symmetrical and every thing lined up than you are.

So just take some comfort knowing it's you that is the problem!
Old 07-19-23, 12:34 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
This topic came up many years ago on this site. Back then, someone mentioned as a possible factor the fact that most roads are crowned (i.e., higher at the center line, lower at the shoulders).
That would explain the uneven tire wear, but I don't think it would make a person lean since balance is still relative to the gravitational pull of the Earth. Right? Seriously, someone with a better grasp of physics check my logic.

Originally Posted by wheelreason
I'm sure most here can't bike more than just slightly...
Post of the day!
Old 07-19-23, 04:00 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Asymmetry

What causes low superheat and low subcooling?...
HVAC is an insider joke about homeostasis.
Old 07-20-23, 07:31 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Asymmetry

What causes low superheat and low subcooling?...
Are you joking? HVAC is a science nerd who has a handle suggesting homeostasis. Walking on the Appalachian Trail where heating and cooling oneself is very important.
HVAC