Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Spin Doctors: the FSIR/Solorock Spin thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 10:15 PM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

This thread aims to provide a space for discussion, images and enjoyment of FSIR/Solorock Spin folding bicycles.

I'll get the ball rolling with images of my FSIR bikes...

Spin 5.0

Spin 3.0
Old 06-28-18, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I bought a spin 3 in the last week. It must have been one of the last in stock in the US since there was no stock a couple days later when I looked at their website. I originally wanted black, but that was out of stock so they asked me if blue would be okay and gave me a $20 refund for the color difference.

When the bike arrived and after unpacking it, the bike seemed to have been used or a floor demo. It has two significant dings on the left side of the top tube (maybe from wrong side folding or banged against something but not in shipping), maybe some bird crap in two spots exactly over the dings (weird), scratched up pedal, few scratches elsewhere, a bit of dust and a nonfunctional bell. The tires seemed new. It would have been nice for them to tell me I was getting this type of bike so I could make up my mind whether or not I wanted a demo or used frame.

Last edited by BikeLite; 06-28-18 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 04:21 AM

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Seat tube groove insert

This is the seat tube insert that provides the groove along which the seat post slides. Remove it, file it down, and/or lube it if it scratches the seat post.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-28-18 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by BikeLite
I bought a spin 3 in the last week. It must have been one of the last in stock in the US since there was no stock a couple days later when I looked at their website. I originally wanted black, but that was out of stock so they asked me if blue would be okay and gave me a $20 refund for the color difference.

When the bike arrived and after unpacking it, the bike seemed to have been used or a floor demo. It has two significant dings on the left side of the top tube (maybe from wrong side folding or banged against something but not in shipping), maybe some bird crap in two spots exactly over the dings (weird), scratched up pedal, few scratches elsewhere, a bit of dust and a nonfunctional bell. The tires seemed new. It would have been nice for them to tell me I was getting this type of bike so I could make up my mind whether or not I wanted a demo or used frame.
My FSIR Spin 3.0 came with a wheel locking magnet missing. Other than that, it was complete, all new, and well packaged.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-28-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 04:25 AM

Functionally, mine rides well. I will have to get used to the shorter cockpit distance (may try to get an extender but other threads say not a good idea with the QR stem) and more upright ride.
Old 07-06-18, 11:35 PM

FSIR Bros.

Old 08-06-18, 12:31 AM

Information received suggests FSIR Spin production has come to an end due to poor sales. Consequently I do not expect North America to get more Solorocks. The upshot is that FSIRs are now rare items. Good thing for those of us who got one (or two) while they were available.
Old 08-06-18, 01:53 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts

Hi Abu,

I didn't expect there are also quite a few FSIR users out of China.
FSIR used to be quite popular among the folding bikers here. It was different, new, able to be customized, and reasonably priced.

But as you said, due to bad business situation, the owner, Mr. Feng, ended the production.

I am posting here a picture of a FSIR of a friend of mine. So far the favourate FSIR I've seen.
I know you will probably challenge its durability again, but as a secondary or a third folding bike, it's brilliant.

cheers,
Old 08-06-18, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by GTA

Hi Abu,

I didn't expect there are also quite a few FSIR users out of China.
FSIR used to be quite popular among the folding bikers here. It was different, new, able to be customized, and reasonably priced.

But as you said, due to bad business situation, the owner, Mr. Feng, ended the production.

I am posting here a picture of a FSIR of a friend of mine. So far the favourate FSIR I've seen.
I know you will probably challenge its durability again, but as a secondary or a third folding bike, it's brilliant.

cheers,
There's life outside of China, bro. Once again, I live in Asia-Pacific. You and I see pretty much the same bikes. It's the folks in Europe and North America who are relatively deprived.

i don't question the durability of the FSIRs. I've toured on one, crossing South Korea (see the first image in the OP) from end to end, in one.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-06-18 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Information received suggests FSIR Spin production has come to an end due to poor sales. Consequently I do not expect North America to get more Solorocks. The upshot is that FSIRs are now rare items. Good thing for those of us who got one (or two) while they were available.
Do you happen to have a source or link to another forum that confirms this? I was really hoping for Solorock to restock the Spin 5.0...
Old 08-06-18, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BCATC

Do you happen to have a source or link to another forum that confirms this? I was really hoping for Solorock to restock the Spin 5.0...
i got the info from the person who sold me the Spin 3.0 a couple of mouths ago. He got the info from the Indonesian importer. In addition stocks have dwindled in Bangkok, and Singapore is having a fire sale on them. GTA said Mr. Feng threw in the towel. All in all nothing definitive or conclusive, but nothing encouraging either. I would not hold my breath.
Old 08-07-18, 04:26 AM

I wondered about this when the Spin 3 suddenly was gone. Their site does appear to have some blue ones in stock as of a couple days ago.
Old 08-07-18, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Functionally, mine rides well. I will have to get used to the shorter cockpit distance (may try to get an extender but other threads say not a good idea with the QR stem) and more upright ride.
Update on your Spin 3? Seems like the few who have bought one, post about it a couple of times and then disappear. It would be nice to see if these bikes hold up.
Old 08-07-18, 09:59 AM

I love my spin 3 and have upgraded the grips and saddle so far.
1. Cockpit- about 23.5 inches from mid handlebar to mid seat post. At first I was in an upright position which I am not used to since I like a mountain bike position. I am 5'10" in height. I moved the seat back, turned the handlebars to where the sweep is upward (leaving handlebar in very slight u shape) and lowered the handle post (now lower than seat) until I had more of a mountain bike positioning. It works well enough.
2. Ride- even with the Kenda 1.5 tires (will be changed to 1.75 Conti Ride Tour) it rides on pavement well. I had never ridden a 16" wheel bike before and liked this one right from the start.
3. Handle post flex- with most any bike with a long handle post, there has to be some small degree of flex. It must be there but it is not noticeable to me.
Old 08-08-18, 07:11 AM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
i got the info from the person who sold me the Spin 3.0 a couple of mouths ago. He got the info from the Indonesian importer. In addition stocks have dwindled in Bangkok, and Singapore is having a fire sale on them. GTA said Mr. Feng threw in the towel. All in all nothing definitive or conclusive, but nothing encouraging either. I would not hold my breath.
The last Spin bikes were produced in 2014.
Still, you can find some Spins and Spin frames available in the market now, but none is made after 2014. And they are quite cheap now. A 3.0 frame would cost less than 100USD, and a 3.0 bike less than 300USD.

Once I saw this Ti prototype and I was wondering what if Feng could bring it to market....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180808_210053.jpg (160.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 08-09-18, 06:11 AM
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Good to know. You can find new FSIRs in Singapore for SGD450, or USD330. More on this later...

i posted this image of the Ti FSIR here several months ago...
wow! Beautiful litle bike!
pity that 300usd in singapore would be like 1.000usd when arrive in brazil.
Old 08-10-18, 06:49 AM

Visiting Singapore's Inner City Rythm to check out the FSIRs on close-out...

Old 08-10-18, 06:55 AM
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

great looking store and bikes.
pity that here i have too many bikes already and selling some of then.
otherwise i would buy one titaniun for sure!
Old 08-10-18, 07:15 AM
Stardust

Você é brasileiro, ou somente mora no Brasil?
Somente moro. Soy de argentina.
Old 08-10-18, 07:20 AM
Stardust

sos porteño?
SOY Gaúcho! Desde pampas !
Old 08-10-18, 07:26 AM
Stardust

Ah, perdón. Te entiendo perfectamente.
its a silly dispute over here about where you come from and how it could influence who your are.
i live i rio de janeiro for 10 years and its marvelous place to be.
we are planing do vietnam and tailand for bike touring in new years hollyday.
in asia we know only a few india and a few nepal.
any recomendation?
Old 08-10-18, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
its a silly dispute over here about where you come from and how it could influence who your are.
i live i rio de janeiro for 10 years and its marvelous place to be.
we are planing do vietnam and tailand for bike touring in new years hollyday.
in asia we know only a few india and a few nepal.
any recomendation?
Though I've been to both Vietnam and Thailand, several times to the latter including this year, i have not bike toured in either country. In the Touring channel there are couple of members who are quite knowledgeable (e.g. saddlesores, axolotl). They can tell you better than I about touring there. There's decent rail service (witj sleeper cars even) in both countries so you can hop on and off.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-10-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-10-18, 11:01 PM

FSIR Spin prices in Singapore

FSIR Spins can be had at clearence prices in Singapore. Prices are as follows:
> Spin 3 (8-speed): SGD300 / USD219
> Spin 3 (7-speed): SGD250 / USD182
> Spin 5: SGD450 / USD328
Above prices are before GST refund of 5.35%.
Old 08-11-18, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
FSIR Spins can be had at clearence prices in Singapore. Prices are as follows:
> Spin 3 (8-speed): SGD300 / USD219
> Spin 3 (7-speed): SGD250 / USD182
> Spin 5: SGD450 / USD328
Above prices are before GST refund of 5.35%.
i messaged Inner City Rhythm for the hell of it to see if they’d try to ship me one to the US. They quoted me $600 SGD for a spin 5 disc not including shipping.
Old 08-11-18, 02:05 AM

There's nothing like being there...

Originally Posted by BCATC

i messaged Inner City Rhythm for the hell of it to see if they’d try to ship me one to the US. They quoted me $600 SGD for a spin 5 disc not including shipping.
I was there just a few hours ago, and the prices that i listed were the walk-in, in-store prices. It was the price that I paid for the Spin 3 I bought from them less than 24 hours ago. You can point to the video where the sticker on the Spin 5.1 says 450, 1:23-1:25 on the video.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-11-18 at 07:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.