Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Bike With....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
How can you claim to have 'no issues' and yet have had to replace it several times? If you having to replace a BB at any tine that is a serious issue with that component.
I don't consider replacing a worn out bottom bracket to be an issue, but I'm curious... do threaded BB's last longer than PF BB's?

I used this bike for CX racing. My LBS would replace the BB at the end of each season, along with pretty much every other bearing on the bike, as part of a post-season overhaul.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-10-20, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't consider replacing a worn out bottom bracket to be an issue, but I'm curious... do threaded BB's last longer than PF BB's?

I used this bike for CX racing. My LBS would replace the BB at the end of each season, along with pretty much every other bearing on the bike, as part of a post-season overhaul.
Yikes. Every year? Wow. That is a serious issue.

That is the issue with the press fit. It needs to be replaced. It costs time and money. That is just one reason why they suck. A threaded bottom bracket does not not need to be replaced every year. Or hardly ever.

Press Fit BBs do tend to keep the bike shop people busy and keeps that $$$ flowing for the shop and that is the main reason why the industry loves them.
Old 12-10-20, 10:15 AM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
have you seen the conditions that cyclocross racers ride in? I'm surprised that some of those folks get a set of bottom bracket bearings to last a month, and that has nothing to do with how the bearing is fitted into the frame. CX racers with ANY bottom bracket interface are likely to replace their bearings with some frequency due to the abuse that riding in sand, snow, ice, water, mud, etc. puts on the bearings. replacing a press-fit BB is no more time consuming and requires the same number of specialty tools as a threaded BB, so bike shops/ the industry are not benefiting in that regard. anyone can do that job at home and the replacement bearings for a BB30 cost about the same as a comparative threaded BB but with fewer wasted parts.

I'm not saying that either is "better," just that your reasons for not liking press-fit bearings don't hold water.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-10-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 12:18 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
While the Topstone indeed does have a threaded BB, the FSA Omega crankset that comes on the 105 spec bike is notoriously creaky.
If an upcoming GRX version has a GRX crankset, that would be a much better choice.
Notorious to whom ?.

I have no issues and have not seen much comment on the FaceBook Topstone page as to this being an issue.
Old 12-10-20, 03:11 PM

That is the issue with the press fit. It needs to be replaced. It costs time and money. That is just one reason why they suck. A threaded bottom bracket does not not need to be replaced every year. Or hardly ever.

Press Fit BBs do tend to keep the bike shop people busy and keeps that $$$ flowing for the shop and that is the main reason why the industry loves them.

Interesting take. I've never heard someone make the claim that threaded BB's last longer.

My CX race bikes are overhauled at the end of every race season. The type of bottom bracket doesn't matter, it gets replaced as part of the overhaul regardless of threaded vs pressfit. The shop doesn't charge me extra for this, it's part of the overhaul package. I'm sure many people go much longer between pressfit BB replacement. Like anything, this is highly dependent on mileage and conditions.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-10-20, 03:32 PM

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Notorious to whom ?.

I have no issues and have not seen much comment on the FaceBook Topstone page as to this being an issue.
Some of the cranks in question came with around a 19 or 17mm spindle, can't remember the dimensions but I've got one in the basement that I'm not sure what to do with, its probably the issue.

Interesting take. I've never heard someone make the claim that threaded BB's last longer.

My CX race bikes are overhauled at the end of every race season. The type of bottom bracket doesn't matter, it gets replaced as part of the overhaul regardless of threaded vs pressfit. The shop doesn't charge me extra for this, it's part of the overhaul package. I'm sure many people go much longer between pressfit BB replacement. Like anything, this is highly dependent on mileage and conditions.
Sounds like you need better parts. Quality BBs will last through more then one season and hubs last multiple seasons. If you're running basic shimano hubs I'd expect seasonal but I prefer parts that I don't have to deal with.
Old 12-10-20, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth

Sounds like you need better parts. Quality BBs will last through more then one season and hubs last multiple seasons. If you're running basic shimano hubs I'd expect seasonal but I prefer parts that I don't have to deal with.
Yeah, I'm sure it's just inferior parts.
Gonna go get me a sweet threaded crankset for next season and fire my mechanic.

/thread
Likes For msu2001la: