Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen an SMP saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has anyone seen an SMP saddle

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18506 Post(s)
Liked 15,818 Times in 7,428 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Poor guy...you don't know what an endowment is, do you?
I have never had any complaints. You know what I'm sayin'?
Old 03-13-17, 02:44 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have never had any complaints. You know what I'm sayin'?
I'm sure you weren't paying them to argue.
Old 03-13-17, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Oh yes you do. You need to look at Specialized Power, does the same thing, but looks awesome. Might even do it better.
I came from using SMP Lite 209. I now use S-Works Power on my CAAD and Power Expert on my Synapse. Comparing them, I would say that the SMP is more comfortable - FOR ME. The Specialized has a good form factor though. I like it because it has a shorter nose, light and does not kill my arse compared to a Fizik.

At the LBS where I bought my saddle, no 30 day satisfaction guarantee. However, you buy the entry level POWER COMP. You have 30 days to upgrade as far as I can remember. So that's what I did basically. Used the POWER COMP for a couple of days and then upgraded to the S-WORKS POWER after and just paid the difference.

Last edited by ARPRINCE; 03-13-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the SMP Extra and I've got to say, it has made a huge difference in my ride. I no longer get any numbness even on long rides. Best saddle I have ever used! So while some may not like it, or the looks of it, results are all I am interested in.
Old 03-13-17, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The saddle that came with my first bike was quite flat, and I always felt unsure of where I was sitting. Tried an SMP and have never looked back. I rode the stock saddle on my new bike maybe 20 miles before I realized it would have to go. The FG and CX have Hell/Well saddles, which are the least padded from their "Tourism" line, but at that, slightly more padded than you typically find stock on "performance" bikes. It still manages to be about as trim as their "pro" line saddles, and certainly far from the squishy kind that can be problematic. Steel bike has a green Composit (unpadded), and race bike has white crabon, which looks and feels awesome, but got nicked in a crash (and no, I'm NOT about to get another one to replace it). I realize it's a terrible extravagance to begin with, but I don't imagine a slick carbon saddle would work if it wasn't shaped like an SMP.

As for why it looks the way it does, well, realizing that what provides the support to your sit bones is concave, imagine if they left it at that - you'd have something poking up on the front side. Wouldn't want that, would we? So the front gets turned back down, to make the transition from standing to seated - not to mention riding on the rivet - practical and undramatic. At first, sure it looks peculiar, but once you get it, it makes sense, and all the flat saddles just look chintzy.

Last edited by kbarch; 03-13-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Flaccid?

The look of potency, IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1941.jpg (94.0 KB, 135 views)
th-3.jpg (4.8 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by woodcraft; 03-13-17 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 10:05 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^^^

I was thinking more along the lines of . . .
Attached Images
Beakyclip-1-.jpg (56.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-13-17, 10:09 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sure you weren't paying them to argue.

That must have caused a bit of a moue!
Old 03-14-17, 06:49 AM
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for the link. I had a look and the only reason he offered for the droopy nose was to prevent snagging your shorts. The design aspects regarding ergonomics seem like the seat would make for a nice ride. I wonder if they would be more popular if they didn't use the bird beak shape?
Old 03-14-17, 07:52 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by 69chevy
Thanks for the link. I had a look and the only reason he offered for the droopy nose was to prevent snagging your shorts. The design aspects regarding ergonomics seem like the seat would make for a nice ride. I wonder if they would be more popular if they didn't use the bird beak shape?
Who cares what Hogg has to say on the matter? Why don't you look at the SMP site?

And to your question, no, "popularity"-- by which you mean present in consumer use in greater numbers-- in this biz is mostly to do with price, low price, and SMP are expensive. Another way to look at it is that nothing hand made in Italy is "popular" because both the costs are hogh and the volumes low. Think Ferrari cars, Maserin knives, Magli shoes, Panerai watches, or Missoni clothing. Hell, even Geox, as big as they are, are very rarely seen on American feet.
Old 03-14-17, 08:10 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any thoughts on this design for sit bones comfort? I usually have more issues with sit bone soreness and not so much soft tissue problems. I generally prefer wider saddles, but even the wider SMP seems to drop off side to side pretty rapidly, so I would have to get my hands on a few to see what would fit. The design is rather unique looking, but it was comfortable that is all that would matter.
Old 03-14-17, 08:18 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by largefarva
The local Specialized shop near me made no mention of a satisfaction guarantee, so that was something I wan't informed of when talking with the guy there.

Actually, come to think about it....I do remember reading here about a satisfaction guarantee from Specialized. He said that Specialized no longer offers it any more. Said that as far as he knew they never did a demo program and the satisfaction guarantee was a thing of the past. So you buy it you better hope it works for you. I wasn't willing to make that gamble at the time.
or just buy online from retailer that offers return option/satisfaction guarantee. Art's Cyclery for example. Depending on how much wear is discernible from your demo, it might be a store credit instead of full refund, but it is an option.
Old 03-14-17, 08:20 AM
wears long socks

"popularity"-- by which you mean present in consumer use in greater numbers.
Not what I mean about "popularity" at all.

I didn't mean among the average consumer, I meant among cyclists.

The Trek Madone, Emonda, and Domane, are all very popular among the cyclists in my area. None are "cheap".

Fizik and Specialized are probably the most "popular" among the regulars who show up to ride in our group rides.

I only know one person who rides a droopy nosed saddle.
Old 03-14-17, 08:25 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by largefarva
The local Specialized shop near me made no mention of a satisfaction guarantee, so that was something I wan't informed of when talking with the guy there.

Actually, come to think about it....I do remember reading here about a satisfaction guarantee from Specialized. He said that Specialized no longer offers it any more. Said that as far as he knew they never did a demo program and the satisfaction guarantee was a thing of the past. So you buy it you better hope it works for you. I wasn't willing to make that gamble at the time.
Also.. odd that this is what Spesh's website has in the T&Cs (where you can buy saddles online). It would be a bit odd if their policy differed if sold thru their LBS network.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/terms-and-conditions

"Returns. Except as otherwise provided herein, Customer may not cancel an accepted order without Specialized’s prior written consent, which it may withhold in its sole discretion. Customer may return Products for a refund of the purchase price (not including initial shipping charges) plus any applicable tax. Customer shall arrange for and pay return shipping expenses. The Product(s) must be returned to Specialized within thirty days of purchase to:

Specialized Bicycle Components
Online Store Returns
1137 South 3800 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
Old 03-14-17, 09:16 AM
Thread Killer

Not what I mean about "popularity" at all.

I didn't mean among the average consumer, I meant among cyclists.

The Trek Madone, Emonda, and Domane, are all very popular among the cyclists in my area. None are "cheap".

Fizik and Specialized are probably the most "popular" among the regulars who show up to ride in our group rides.

I only know one person who rides a droopy nosed saddle.
Right...I think people other than cyclists are buying saddles. That's ridiculous.

Within the realm of bikes, Madone, Emonda, and Domane are not expensive; all have been available for sub $2k (until the Madone line was cut for MY'15).

My advise to you is too broaden your perspective.
Old 03-14-17, 09:27 AM
wears long socks

Right...I think people other than cyclists are buying saddles. That's ridiculous.
Huh?
Old 03-14-17, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
Any thoughts on this design for sit bones comfort? I usually have more issues with sit bone soreness and not so much soft tissue problems. I generally prefer wider saddles, but even the wider SMP seems to drop off side to side pretty rapidly, so I would have to get my hands on a few to see what would fit. The design is rather unique looking, but it was comfortable that is all that would matter.
I really liked the SMP front-back design, but you pointed out exactly why none of them worked for me. They really only work for people who have relatively narrow sit bone widths, because even on the wider ones the sides drop off quite quickly. Though Hogg doesn't address this, he does point out the effective saddle widths in his article. None of them are really that wide. And some like the Pro are quite goofy in that they are narrow with a lot of meat on the sides, which didn't work for me.
Old 03-14-17, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
You're not going to like it. They are really optimized for mitigating soft tissue issues, at the expense of focusing pressure on your sit bones.
Old 03-14-17, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
they are really optimized for mitigating soft tissue issues, at the expense of focusing pressure on your sit bones.
+1
Old 03-14-17, 12:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huh?
Pay no attention to him - seriously.
There are probably a number of things going on that make SMP saddles not so popular in your experience, and I'd be inclined to say that they look peculiar to you because they are uncommon, not vice versa. The first time I saw them, I thought they were most peculiar, but now, in addition to seeing my own all the time, they seem to have caught on well in the last couple of years around here and, while far from the dominant style, I see them as often on the roads and at cyclist hangouts as any other individual brand.
Old 03-14-17, 01:29 PM
Thread Killer

Surely your sampling methods are insufficient to draw conclusions from. There are plenty of both SMP and Fizik in use here in Ann Arbor, including by me; I use Dynamic and Aliante on my two main rides.

Mybe they're more popular among educated, urban elite?
Originally Posted by kbarch
Pay no attention to him - seriously.
There are probably a number of things going on that make SMP saddles not so popular in your experience, and I'd be inclined to say that they look peculiar to you because they are uncommon, not vice versa. The first time I saw them, I thought they were most peculiar, but now, in addition to seeing my own all the time, they seem to have caught on well in the last couple of years around here and, while far from the dominant style, I see them as often on the roads and at cyclist hangouts as any other individual brand.
Haha! Right...like I said about educated, urban elite.

So what's the median household income in Tenafly, NJ, kbarch? Nearly 3x the national average? And you see SMP all over the place, as much as any other brand? Let's make that "wealthy, educated, urban East Coast elite."

But yeah, pay me no mind...if you prefer mud to fish.
Old 03-14-17, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have the SMP Lite 209 and love it. I wanted a saddle with a dropped nose to give the boys clearance so I would not be leaning on them when leaning forward. Have tried many saddles, the Specialized Evo Comp which has a somewhat dropped nose just killed my sit bones, had myself measured as well. Could not wait to get off the bike. Tried several others and decided to try the SMP. Glad I did, no more issues. Comfortable for me and being heavy the padding on it was good for me.
Old 03-14-17, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SMP-EXtra for me too. Bought it from someone on here in the classifieds. I have fiddled with it on tilt and fore/aft and have it real close. I have used it now for about a year. Appears to be a keeper.
Old 03-14-17, 03:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha! Right...like I said about educated, urban elite.

So what's the median household income in Tenafly, NJ, kbarch? Nearly 3x the national average? And you see SMP all over the place, as much as any other brand? Let's make that "wealthy, educated, urban East Coast elite."

But yeah, pay me no mind...if you prefer mud to fish.
OK, Thread Killer.

If you want to find class-ism, you'll find it wherever you want, and if you want to get bent out of shape over such matters, that's your own affair; there's no reason anyone else should get dragged into your discontent.

Meanwhile, I don't live just in the little world of Tenafly, and even if I did, riders come from all over the NYC area - and every kind of 'hood in it - to ride the roads around here. It's nice that way. Most people I ride with don't even live in Bergen County, and I'm happy to say that they are as diverse a crowd as you're likely to find anywhere. But they are invariably enthusiasts, and hardly elitist. Sure there are a lot of wealthy, well-educated folks around here who are quick to get the latest and greatest. But there are many more of very modest means and education who are just as enthusiastic about cycling. The only difference between the groups is that the latter are less likely to have additional costly hobbies and indulgences.
Old 03-14-17, 03:51 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, Oh . . . are we invoking Karl Marx on this topic now?

Anyway, I've never tried one of these saddles. But that rift valley in the middle concerns me greatly. I'm afraid I'll wind up getting something caught in there and not be able to pull it out again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.