Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cut away my stem clamp to remove handlebars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Brooklyn Bicycles Willow 3 (3-speed women's bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

First post in Bike Forums. I'm 67 and just returned to cycling after 42 years.
My city bike--a Willow 3 by Brooklyn Bicycles--is too small for me; to sit upright, I need to raise the stem by 35 to 40mm. I'm glas it's that modest, because any longer than than and I'd have to replace three cables.

But my 180mm stem can't be safely raised any further. Here's the factory-installed stem as it's now extended.

I want to sit upright, like the Dutch. To do that, I need another 35 or 40mm of stem length.
My local bike shop wouldn't install a longer one, saying, "With your stem diameter (22.2mm), it wouldn't be safe; it could break when you go over a pothole."

That might be true of an aluminum stem. But surely not steel. So I bought a 250mm steel stem, a Sunlite TCO Piston 2-bolt Clamp Quill Stem. I hope to install it myself.

Here's my problem: I'm not mechanically inclined. I won't do it myself if I must remove, then reinstall the bar-end grips, brake levers, 3-speed shift lever, and accessory clamps. Ain't gonna happen.

How feasibly could I use a Dremel rotary wheel or a fine manual hacksaw to make two cuts in the old stem's clamp and simply extract the handlebars, like a Caesarian section? My new stem uses a two-piece clamp, so I could insert the handlebars as easily as I removed them.

As I see it, the risk is that if I'm not careful I might cut into the handlebar itself.

PS: I'd use links and photos but I'm not permitted until I've posted 10 times.

May I liberate the handlebars by cutting open the stem's clamp?

Last edited by MarylandUSA; 10-20-23 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-20-23, 01:11 PM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
Not what I’d do myself, but in theory yes, this is feasable.
Would have a little concern about how well/naturally you can control your Willow with the bars that high, but hey, it’s your ride.
Old 10-20-23, 01:27 PM
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 273 Posts
Keep in mind that removing the handlebar may only require grip or lever on one side.
And not riding it for such a long spell could necessitate cable replacement, anyway.
Otherwise, your idea sounds workable. Naturally, avoid cutting into the bar. Use a fat screwdriver to break off the last bit.
Notice it's called handlebar or bar. You're welcome.
Old 10-20-23, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
IMHO, removing the grips and levers requires less mechanical aptitude than cutting the clamp as you are proposing. It ain't rocket science.
Old 10-20-23, 02:00 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Keep in mind that removing the handlebar may only require grip or lever on one side.
I know, but I have two accessory clamps on each side, too: A bell and a mirror on the left half, a headlight and a bottle holder on the right half. And a front bag that's literally wired to the bar so it can't be stolen.
Plus, I fear that when I pull or wiggle the bar through the clamp, the cables on the other side will run out of slack. So I'll need to loosen them. And then I won't install them just the way they were, causing problems in shifting and maybe braking.
And not riding it for such a long spell could necessitate cable replacement, anyway.
The cables are working fine. The bike was built in about 2019. I bought it from an owner on Facebook. She had been using it, and I've been riding it for 6 weeks.
Otherwise, your idea sounds workable. Naturally, avoid cutting into the bar. Use a fat screwdriver to break off the last bit.
Thanks; that's the most valuable tip I'll receive. I would not have thought of that.
Notice it's called handlebar or bar. You're welcome.
Got it! Thanks.
Old 10-20-23, 02:03 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
IMHO, removing the grips and levers requires less mechanical aptitude than cutting the clamp as you are proposing. It ain't rocket science.
See my reply to roadcrankr. I'm a firm believer in Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you think it will, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account."
Likes For MarylandUSA:
Old 10-20-23, 02:06 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Would have a little concern about how well/naturally you can control your Willow with the bars that high, but hey, it’s your ride.
Good point. I guess I won't know until I do it. If handling becomes squirmy, I'll lower the new stem.
Likes For MarylandUSA:
Old 10-20-23, 02:18 PM

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
best thing to do is STRETCHING EXERCISES... your body is old and stiff (Mine too)... limber it up.

as to getting your bars out of the stock stem... if it's rolled steel, just BEND it open!a big flat blade screwdriver works for this... start by placeing the driver in the clamp slot and TWIST,, then work the blade up between the bar and stem and pry...
i've done this more than once.

and be aware.. raising the bars too much will only lead to HIP and LOWER BACK PAIN.
go see a Bicycle Fitting expert and get your bike set up Correctly, or suffer the consequences.
i just re[placed a seat for a customer.. she arrived sore from chaffing, and requested a Wider, cushier seat... she tested a wider "couch" seat, and several that i recommended... she left much happier.. on a NARROWER, harder padded seat, featuring more roll-off in the inner thigh area, and it was moved Forward too... "I LOVE THIS SEAT!!!" BIG Smile! i also coached her to anticipate bumps and unweight her rump by placing more weight on the PEDALS..... "this lets the bike rock back and forth, but not rub you in the wrong ways..."

Last edited by maddog34; 10-20-23 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-20-23, 02:23 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
best thing to do is STRETCHING EXERCISES... your body is old and stiff (Mine too)... limber it up.

as to getting your bars out of the stock stem... if it's rolled steel, just BEND it open!a big flat blade screwdriver works for this... start by placeing the driver in the clamp slot and TWIST,, then work the blade up between the bar and stem and pry...
i've done this more than once.
Thanks, maddog34, but I'm afraid I can't: the factory stem is all-aluminum.
Old 10-20-23, 02:31 PM

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by MarylandUSA
Thanks, maddog34, but I'm afraid I can't: the factory stem is all-aluminum.
then cut part way and break it, as suggested elsewhere... or leave it alone
Holland is one big flat beach, IMO. the first hill you encounter will not be fun.

and start stretching those old bones now!
Old 10-20-23, 02:59 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 1,051 Posts
How feasibly could I use a Dremel rotary wheel or a fine manual hacksaw to make two cuts in the old stem's clamp and simply extract the handlebars, like a Caesarian section? My new stem uses a two-piece clamp, so I could insert the handlebars as easily as I removed them.

As I see it, the risk is that if I'm not careful I might cut into the handlebar itself.
Metal parts heat up when cut with a Dremel, so there is also the risk of singeing your fingertips, as I once learnt the hard way.
Old 10-20-23, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 279 Posts
Here's my problem: I'm not mechanically inclined. I won't do it myself if I must remove, then reinstall the bar-end grips, brake levers, 3-speed shift lever, and accessory clamps. Ain't gonna happen.
I agree you have a problem, because this is the right way to swap bars out of a one-bolt quill stem.

LBS is your friend here.
Old 10-20-23, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,094 Posts
If you aren't mechanical enough to remove the left grip and left brake lever, are you sure you're mechanical enough to precisely cut a stem without damaging the bar?

This honestly sounds like the 15 minute job, an hour if you really take your time.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-20-23, 06:14 PM

Yup, the more reason why the "not mechanically inclined" OP should seek professional help from a LBS.

I'm forseeing the new stem incorrectly installed and thus leaving to a dangerous accident, to themselves and others.

This haphazard is actually common to DIYs as a result of not getting enough torque from silly allen keys of condo tools. Socket wrench is my friend here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quill-stem.jpg (15.3 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-21-23, 01:20 AM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 6,526 Times in 3,237 Posts
^ Those stem bolts don't require much torque. The amateur thing to do is to tighten it waay too much.

As far as removing bars from stems, try a little gentle prying of the clamp with use of a 4mm allen key. This has always worked for me and my old Cinelli stuff.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-21-23, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
This seems to me like the least mechanically minded activity in this thread.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-21-23, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Yup, the more reason why the "not mechanically inclined" OP should seek professional help from a LBS.

I'm forseeing the new stem incorrectly installed and thus leaving to a dangerous accident, to themselves and others.

This haphazard is actually common to DIYs as a result of not getting enough torque from silly allen keys of condo tools. Socket wrench is my friend here.
What are you suggesting, that you can't get a quill stem tight enough with a regular allen wrench? That's wrong. You don't actually want to torque it down too tight.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-21-23, 06:37 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 359 Posts
Since you are committed to cutting the old stem with a dremel:
wrap the bars near the stem with a few turns of heavy rags -- in case the cutoff wheel grabs and zooms off to the side. Or even better: the lid from a food can or something similar.
Use the thin cutoff wheels on the Dremel, and eye protection.

Cut a wedge! cut part way through, then again to remove a wedge of the aluminum -- think chopping down a tree.
Now pry the clamp slot with a screwdriver -- it should bend away at the wedge.
Old 10-21-23, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 395 Posts
Yeah, moving the brake levers, shifter, bell, and anything else on the handlebars is going to be easier than cutting the stem, all you need is an allen wrench, screw driver and/or nut driver. The grips might be easy or hard, I'd cut them off and put a new set on. Cutting the stem, while not difficult, does require a bit more skill and precision, that being said, I look for any excuse to plug in the angle grinder...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-21-23, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,094 Posts
He doesn't need to remove the levers, just one lever and one grip on one side.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-21-23, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
He doesn't need to remove the levers, just one lever and one grip on one side.
Even easier....
Old 10-21-23, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 436 Posts
I know, but I have two accessory clamps on each side, too: A bell and a mirror on the left half, a headlight and a bottle holder on the right half. And a front bag that's literally wired to the bar so it can't be stolen.
Plus, I fear that when I pull or wiggle the bar through the clamp, the cables on the other side will run out of slack. So I'll need to loosen them. And then I won't install them just the way they were, causing problems in shifting and maybe braking.
Remove the stem from the steer tube before removing handlebar from the stem, and you can slide off the stem without having to mess with cable adjustment.
Old 10-21-23, 12:19 PM

This sillyness of this thread reminds me of the latest Saw X movie, where the girl cuts off her leg to access her bone marrow to suck it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
saw-x.jpg (75.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 10-22-23, 01:05 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
It's a shame to destroy the stem, but I understand your reasoning.

My first step would be to find a less snooty bike shop willing to do the job. Or seek out a local bike co-op.

Otherwise, you can do the job your way as follows.

Wrap cloth tape around the bar on both sides of the stem as indicators.
Now use a hack saw to cut most of the way through the stem without touching the tapes. Remove the clamp bolt and pry the stem open until it clears the bar or snaps.

BEFORE destroying the old stem, MAKE SURE your stem's clamp diameter matches the bar. There are multiple standards, and you don't want to end up stranded.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-23-23, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 447 Posts
Honestly, this whole thing is ridiculous.

You either work on your own bikes, or you don't. If you do, then learning to swap handlebars, along with the associated removal and reinstallation of tape, brake levers, and accessories, is about as basic as it gets. Slightly more difficult than changing a tire, but not much.

If you don't work on bikes, that's fine. Get it to a shop and have them do it. But the fact that you're even thinking about taking a dremel to a stem just to remove the handlebars should make you take a big step back, and re-evaluate.
Likes For Jeff Neese:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.