Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm not going to stop riding my CF bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I'm not going to stop riding my CF bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 11:12 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked 8,213 Times in 3,883 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Question, if a pro wants to ride steel or titanium , can he. Or does he have to ride whatever the team sponsor wants ?
It depends. There are many levels of being a “pro”. If you’re getting free gear from one of your sponsors, you are expected to use it. If you don’t have a bike sponsor, you’re free to ride what you want. For the top road teams, pretty much everything is sponsored gear. For performance on a race course in today’s world, CF has surpassed all other materials so much that any other material is a tiny minority - maybe even and oddity - even at amateur levels.
Old 05-13-23, 11:52 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked 8,213 Times in 3,883 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Things have changed in the dowhill racing scene but I haven't followed it since some years. I will do some research and update my knowledge,I am also here for learning new things.I do like older OCLV trek mountain bikes because they were built like tanks as well as older carbon road frames from Trek, Look, Time, Colnago and Specialized.
I appreciate that you are open to learning. Personally, I’ve learned quite a bit - and changed some preconceived conclusions - from BF folks.

I have a 20+yo OCLV MTB, and a Time CF road bike almost as old. They are still excellent machines that have been ridden hard, and still have lots of life left. I also have a newer Trek CF MTB (basically the 20-year update of my old one), and a newer CF road bike. The newer bikes also both have CF rims. There is nothing that indicates to me that the newer bikes - despite being lighter - are any less durable than the old ones.

On the newer MTB, I broke a spoke in the rear wheel, just above the nipple (a wayward bouncing rock kicked up by my riding buddy). I removed the flopping spoke section from the hub, and finished 5+ miles of my ride without taking it any easier than I would have before breaking the spoke. The rim showed no sign of additional wobble at any point. This is a 1300g CF wheelset.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-15-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Question, if a pro wants to ride steel or titanium , can he. Or does he have to ride whatever the team sponsor wants ?
Only if he submits to a year of psychotherapy or 6 month of titrated ePO.
Old 05-14-23, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've ridden CF frames since 1986 and carbon rims for about 10 years. No problems.

Aluminum rimmed wheels get bent and sometimes need truing whereas I have never had to true carbon wheels nor have I had to replace them, unlike Alu.

I worry a lot more about aluminum fatigue than carbon. Actually, I do not worry about carbon fatigue at all because it doesn't
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-14-23, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8321 Post(s)
Liked 9,129 Times in 4,512 Posts
Things have changed in the dowhill racing scene but I haven't followed it since some years. I will do some research and update my knowledge,I am also here for learning new things.I do like older OCLV trek mountain bikes because they were built like tanks as well as older carbon road frames from Trek, Look, Time, Colnago and Specialized.
Some DH bikes are cf and some are aluminum. Weight isn't as important in DH as XC. Interestingly, some enduro bikes which were cf are now sold only in aluminum.
Old 05-14-23, 08:29 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some DH bikes are cf and some are aluminum. Weight isn't as important in DH as XC. Interestingly, some enduro bikes which were cf are now sold only in aluminum.
I remember that back inthe late 90's early 00'ss Giant and Cannondale's used Alcoa Aluminium, Specialized used the M4,some other firms used the Easton Varilite/Ultralite/Scandium tubing especially Kona and Lapierre back then,. I have rarely seen Dedacciai aluminium tubing in DH or XC except by Bianchi when they won the worldwide Crosscountry Title with Dario Acquaroli. Perhaps matter of cost fabrication, I never had a full suspended bike just own 3 MTB hardtails and beginning a fourth and last one .
Old 05-14-23, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8321 Post(s)
Liked 9,129 Times in 4,512 Posts
I never had a full suspended bike just own 3 MTB hardtails and beginning a fourth and last one .
I rode 4 different hardtails before I tried a full suspension bike. I'm primarily a road rider and never wanted to spend a lot on a mountain bike. The Nishiki I had was a nice ride on semi-rough stuff and when it broke my dealer sold me an aluminum Trek and it was just awful. Like a jackhammer. I tried a couple short travel forks which helped but it still sucked.

When I got mt first (cheap) full suspension bike I swore I would never ride a hardtail again. The one I have now (pictured above) has a 160mm fork with 150mm rear travel and 27.5 x 2.8 tires. It will take a big hit, cruise through a pile of rocks, and has saved me from my mistakes more than once. It just floats over square edged ruts and bumps and can go faster than I am willing. It's heavy, but it's not an XC bike.

I'm 69 now and I do more mellow off road stuff where a 25 pound cf hardtail would be fine. I have taken it on rides with people on gravel bikes and it's kinda big for that.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-14-23, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Where would you rate "Bee to the face at 35+ mph"?
I don't know. My best is a yellow jacket wasp into the upper/inner thigh of thin lycra bib shorts - yes, right there at the edge of the padding. Left the stinger and a sting, but didn't quite hit the tender bits.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-14-23 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm sure somewhere out there on an airplane forum, this same thread is playing out.
And probably has been for the last 20-f'ing years like it has been here. Never get tired of a interesting and unusual discussion though.
Old 05-14-23, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked 4,952 Times in 3,062 Posts
Are you familiar with the Mavic Dee Max? I don't think so.
Yeah I’ve been a mountain biker for the last 20+ years. I’m totally aware of the yellow Dee Max and owned a few sets of Crossmax SL and XL alloy wheels. I never rode anything aggressive enough to need Dee Max wheels. They were strictly DH only. My current mtb has very nice carbon DT Swiss wheels which are light, strong and never need truing.

Go and patronise someone else because this anti-CF bs is getting old.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-15-23, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Videos like these are made for two reasons, entertainment and profit Out in the real world majority of people with carbon bikes and wheels are too scared of riding up or down a 3 inch curb..
The point is that CF wheels are not as fragile as some people may think.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-15-23, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Any cycling product made from carbon is guaranteed to suffer a catastrophic failure....The only reason why some people never break a carbon bike or some other carbon component is because they're very easy and gentle on their bikes.
Complete and utter bs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-15-23, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 229 Posts

In a follow up to the incident I had last December involving a water monitor lizard, (post #60), here’s a photo I took of the beast a couple of minutes after riding over the middle of his/her body. Carbon rims seem to be ok as is the CF bike frame.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 05-15-23, 11:57 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,064 Times in 2,711 Posts
Fun fact:
Things do stuff sometimes.

One other fun fact:
Things don't do stuff sometimes.
Likes For veganbikes: