Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Endurance vs Climbing Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Endurance vs Climbing Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
What is this "H3" geometry they refer to?
I thought there was only H1, H2, and more recently H1.5.
Old 06-13-20, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
I picked up a Trek Domane a few years ago and have really enjoyed it. I'm considering picking up another bike and wondered about the point at which someone should be looking into a different style of bike, especially with respect to climbing. Where I ride in the Texas Hill Country, I generally cover roughly 500-1000 feet of elevation each hour. It's certainly not the mountains by any stretch, but I've wondered if the next bike should be something like an Emonda. Obviously, there are a lot of other variables in play, but at least with the style of bike, is there any general wisdom on when a lighter machine becomes better?
What year and model is your Domane? Disc or rim brakes? Newer models are heavier than the older Domane.

I have a 60cm 2015 Domane 6.9 disc that weighs 16.8lbs.. A 2020 Emonda SL7 weighs 16.76lbs (for a 56cm) and costs over $5k.
Old 06-13-20, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Ten pounds takes about 8% more effort to get to the top of the hill at the same speed. But if I don't worry about the speed, it's exactly the same.

Heavy wheels can feel significantly different compared to light ones. But a 6lb frame doesn't not feel appreciably different from a 2.2lb frame-- once it has a 200lb meatsack suspended over it. IME.
I think this is true if you ride by yourself. If you ride with others at a higher pace, you will feel the difference.
Old 06-13-20, 10:53 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I think this is true if you ride by yourself. If you ride with others at a higher pace, you will feel the difference.
The placebo effect is as real as anything else.
Old 06-13-20, 10:55 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Aside from the 2-3 pounds of extra heft, the Domane geometry is... stable. Losing the weight and going to a more responsive geometry would drastically alter the character of the ride, 'specially any time you're out of the saddle.
Old 06-13-20, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Aside from the 2-3 pounds of extra heft, the Domane geometry is... stable. Losing the weight and going to a more responsive geometry would drastically alter the character of the ride, 'specially any time you're out of the saddle.
I bought my Domane to be my winter/rain bike. In that roll, it has been perfect. It is a little less responsive in the roll of a fast group ride bike. You can feel the extra weight accelerating and climbing especially when you are tired. It is, however, great bike for long steady rides. I have the Ultegra 8000 group on it and can ride a 36 tooth cassette.
Old 06-13-20, 12:16 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I bought my Domane to be my winter/rain bike. In that roll, it has been perfect. It is a little less responsive in the roll of a fast group ride bike. You can feel the extra weight accelerating and climbing especially when you are tired. It is, however, great bike for long steady rides. I have the Ultegra 8000 group on it and can ride a 36 tooth cassette.
Yup. I went from a Domane SL5 Disc to a Cervelo R3 Disc - very real difference in responsiveness. The Domane was definitely a little more comfy, but the R3 is by no means uncomfortable... so I sold the Domane because it just wasn't going to get much ride time with the R3 around (and I already have a gravel/errand/foul weather bike).
Old 06-13-20, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dean V
What is this "H3" geometry they refer to?
I thought there was only H1, H2, and more recently H1.5.
Trek used to offer an H3 ten years ago. I don’t think it was a big seller.
Old 06-13-20, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup. I went from a Domane SL5 Disc to a Cervelo R3 Disc - very real difference in responsiveness. The Domane was definitely a little more comfy, but the R3 is by no means uncomfortable... so I sold the Domane because it just wasn't going to get much ride time with the R3 around (and I already have a gravel/errand/foul weather bike).
R3 is a superbly fun bike. Handles beautifully.
Old 06-13-20, 12:27 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
You can definitely feel the difference climbing with a lighter bike. Especially wheels and out of the saddle.
I am not saying they will be noticeably faster, just that it will feel different.
Two full water bottles is over 3 lbs. Personally I don't feel much difference climbing a hill at the end of a ride with no water and climbing it at the beginning with full bottles. I'd be surprised if most do.
Old 06-13-20, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
What year and model is your Domane? Disc or rim brakes? Newer models are heavier than the older Domane.

I have a 60cm 2015 Domane 6.9 disc that weighs 16.8lbs. A 2020 Emonda SL7 weighs 16.76lbs (for a 56cm) and costs over $5k.
I have a 56 cm 2016 Domane 5.2 with rim brakes. The listed purchase weight, from what I can find was 16.1 lbs. I swapped the wheels out for some Reynolds Assaults a year later. I want to say that the '17 version of the Domane opened things up to allow for larger tire sizes. I tried 28s, but there wasn't enough clearance on the rear for them to work, so 25s are as big as I can go.

From what I'm reading here, the marketing was getting to me. It seems like something like a Madone makes more sense if I decide to move in a different direction.
Old 06-13-20, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Two full water bottles is over 3 lbs. Personally I don't feel much difference climbing a hill at the end of a ride with no water and climbing it at the beginning with full bottles. I'd be surprised if most do.
It's not surprising you don't feel the 1.6% increase is power requirements "Bike Calculator" suggests, and the laws of physic's stipulate using 188 lbs vs 185 lbs total weight.

Different bike configurations may impact our ability to put our power to the road too. On my comfort bike I can put a lot of power into the peddles without standing. But if I need much more, Standing on the peddles of my old mountain bike was much more effective then the comfort bike I have now and more then on a road bike I had before that.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-13-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
According to Trek, the Domane Sl6 weighs 20lbs. and the Emonda Sl6 weighs 18. That seems like a significant difference to me. Besides, I'm a firm believer in N+1.
The newer Domanes are heavier than the older ones.
I've got a 2014 with Sram Red eTap22 & Aeolus 3 D3 TLR wheels and it weighs just under 15 lbs with Favro Assioma pedals, RXL cages & a Garmin mount. If I changed the seat & bar/stem to the Emonda SLR seat & integrated bar/stem, put on lightweight tubes & brake cables I could get it down to around 14 lbs.
It climbs really well and is great on long rides & fast group paceline rides.
You could get a used frame & build it up for cheap.
I've almost bid on used ones on eBay to have a backup in case this frame fails.
Old 06-13-20, 04:18 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
It's not surprising you don't feel the 1.6% increase is power requirements "Bike Calculator" suggests, and the laws of physic's stipulate using 188 lbs vs 185 lbs total weight.

And weight is by far the single most important factor climbing if all else is close. That said different bike configurations may impact our ability to put our power to the road. On my comfort bike I can put a lot of power into the peddles without standing. But if I need much more, Standing on the peddles of my old mountain bike was much more effective then the comfort bike I have now and more then on a road bike I had before that.
What?
Old 06-13-20, 04:33 PM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
What?
Yes. That didn't express my thoughts correctly so I've simplified it.

The point is totall weight has a bigger impact climbing and accelerating then cruising, and that difference in power is proportional to the increased weight.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-13-20 at 04:42 PM.