Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you could only use one brake?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: What would you do if you lost the feeling in you left hand?
carry on as normal hoping not to lock the rears up.
9.21%
relay on the front brake.
71.05%
swap the braking around, (rear braking with right hand)
9.21%
stop riding
10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do if you could only use one brake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 01:49 PM
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olebiker
If you are using both brakes, you don't unload the rear wheel as much as when using only the front brake.
The rear wheel becomes unloaded because the mass of the bike and rider has a tendency to rotate around the front wheel hub. It has nothing to do with which brakes you're using, and only depends upon the magnitude of the deceleration.

- Warren
Old 10-10-05, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can link your brakes together to use only one lever, you could also easily set your brakes to give either the front or rear more braking force than the other if needed. For those who say braking only with front is dangerous or braking on a flat tire is a death sentence, then you should work on your braking skills. If you want to really learn what is possible while on the brakes, learn to ride a sportbike (motorcycle). Once you learn how to properly brake a motorcyle going into a corner at a high rate of speed, anything you do on a bicycle will seem like childs play.
Old 10-10-05, 02:04 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
The rear wheel becomes unloaded because the mass of the bike and rider has a tendency to rotate around the front wheel hub. It has nothing to do with which brakes you're using, and only depends upon the magnitude of the deceleration.
Take your argument to the extreme and you will see that it does not hold up. If you brake ONLY with the rear brake, there is no tendency to rotate around the front hub.
Old 10-10-05, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by acathi_cyclist
I don't believe in this method of managing both brakes with one lever. There is still the issue of getting a flat and locking up the flat tire. With this option you double the probability of having to lock up the wheel that is flat from 50% to 100%. If you pull the lever managing both brakes the flat will certainly sieze up. A front brake is sufficient
It's been commonly done with tandems for literally decades. I don't know about the flat tire issue. Do you have any actual experience or are you just theorizing?
Old 10-10-05, 02:37 PM
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

This whole front-brake-only thing is one of those ideas that works well on paper but, having seen too many real life crashes in my 30 plus years of riding, I have learned to trust my experience.
It works in real life also. I have two mountain bikes set up, to ride xc NOT downhill, with front brake only. Works fine. Both with mechanical discs. The rear brake, especially descending on a MTB, provides little if no benefit because of the loss of traction. I use the front brake only on my road bike too. I have the rear hooked up but I can't remember the last time I needed to use it. Although, I am not descending mountain passes at high speeds. I am not an expert, just an avid rider with only 20 years of experience.

I brake with both brakes and have never been unable to stop when I need to. I have never lost control of my bike while braking with both brakes. I have, however, earned a dandy case of road rash years ago when using only a front brake on a fixed gear bike.
I don't think the argument is that using two brakes would be detrimental. I think the argument is that riding with one brake is nearly or as effective
How did you earn your road rash using only a front brake?

you make using a front brake only sound like it is a death defying act for only the foolhardy when in fact it is pretty easy to learn how to do and, even with two brakes, 90% of your braking should be done with the front.

For the OP, using front brake only would be fine for the road. Just get used to the setup before attempting high speeds. I would be more concerned with the lasck of feeling for steering purposes.
Old 10-10-05, 02:41 PM
Newbie Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your argument to the extreme and you will see that it does not hold up. If you brake ONLY with the rear brake, there is no tendency to rotate around the front hub.
Of course there is. The rear wheel becomes unloaded the same way, regardless of which brake you use. The only difference is that, when using the rear brake, the loss of traction resulting from unloading the rear wheel (rotating around the front hub) also causes a concomittant reduction in braking force, thus providing negative feedback. This is the reason people tell you not to use the rear brake so heavily in the first place -- when you really need braking power, the rear brake cannot provide it. The rear brake may be safer in the sense that it won't send you over the handlebars, but it's less safe in the sense that it actually provides much less stopping power.

- Warren
Old 10-10-05, 04:02 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
You can set the brakes up so both calipers operate from one lever. Common tandem setup is both rim breaks on one brake lever, and a disc or drum brake on the other.
Old 10-10-05, 04:04 PM
Stoked

Bikes: S-Works E5, Trek T2000 Tandem, Giant Warp DS/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on the environment:

Front brake alone.

Front brake and fixed.

Front brake and 3 speed coaster for the rear.
Old 10-10-05, 04:10 PM
Resident Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the argument is that using two brakes would be detrimental. I think the argument is that riding with one brake is nearly or as effective.
How did you earn your road rash using only a front brake? [/QUOTE]

I fixed up my old Gitane Tour de France as a fixed gear bike. At first I used two brakes, but my old buddy Wallace Spradling convinced me that I only needed a front brake. The first time I applied the brake in a turn, the rear wheel unweighted enough to swing the rear end around. When the rear tire hit the pavement I did a flying high side dismount at Fifth and Main in Louisville, Kentucky.

Originally Posted by unsuspended
you make using a front brake only sound like it is a death defying act for only the foolhardy when in fact it is pretty easy to learn how to do and, even with two brakes, 90% of your braking should be done with the front.
Not death defying, but I see no advantage to doing it and numerous disadvantages to using only a front brake.
Old 10-10-05, 04:16 PM
Resident Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course there is. The rear wheel becomes unloaded the same way, regardless of which brake you use. The only difference is that, when using the rear brake, the loss of traction resulting from unloading the rear wheel (rotating around the front hub) also causes a concomittant reduction in braking force, thus providing negative feedback. This is the reason people tell you not to use the rear brake so heavily in the first place -- when you really need braking power, the rear brake cannot provide it. The rear brake may be safer in the sense that it won't send you over the handlebars, but it's less safe in the sense that it actually provides much less stopping power.

- Warren
If you truly believe that, using the rear brake only, the bike will still tend to rotate around the front axle, I would like to see you do a nose wheelie using your back brake only. You can't do it.

Once again, I don't deny that you get most of your braking force from the front brake and I am not advocating using only a rear brake. What I am saying is that you sacrifice too much control when not using a rear brake along with a front brake. The front brake provides most of the stopping power and the rear brake keeps the rest of the bike in line with the front wheel.
Old 10-10-05, 04:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The front brake provides most of the stopping power and the rear brake keeps the rest of the bike in line with the front wheel.
Based on this premise, could you set it up so you use the front brake normally with your good hand, and adjust the rear brake so it only provides some slowing but doesn't brake full force? In an emergency you could mash it completely with your bad hand (with no worries about finesse or locking up the rear wheel). That way you'd get some extra control and a bit of stopping help, though you'd still be somewhat underpowered compared to two good brakes.

Brainstorming,
Dagna
Old 10-10-05, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtree
since expert riders use the front brake almost exclusively anyway, all you need is the front brake,
What kind of experts are these? self-proclaimed?
Old 10-10-05, 05:45 PM
Newbie Extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you truly believe that, using the rear brake only, the bike will still tend to rotate around the front axle, I would like to see you do a nose wheelie using your back brake only. You can't do it.
Since you appear to lack the reading comprehension of a schoolchild, I welcome you to read my previous post again. I'll even duplicate the relevant sentence:

The only difference is that, when using the rear brake, the loss of traction resulting from unloading the rear wheel (rotating around the front hub) also causes a concomittant reduction in braking force, thus providing negative feedback.

Please note that "unloading the rear wheel" and "rotating about the front hub" are, in fact, equivalent concepts.

- Warren
Old 10-10-05, 06:32 PM

Bikes: scott speedster s3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olebiker - dude, no offense but you are wrong, i may be a newb at the road bike bit, but uhh you see that green thing over there right under my name, yeah if i were to touch the rear brake oin that most likely i would end up on my head, when you are useing the front brake to its full potential then the rear brake is about useless, the only thing applying it will net is a nice tail hung out slide.

as for not being able to control the bike with thee front brake, again let me reference the motor cycle, there is a picture out there somewhere of a guy riding a race ducati, he is using all the front brakes, rear wheel in the air, and still turning in for the corner. its all a matter of control, when used with care the front brake by itself is very safe and has the ability to do all the work required to stop.
(i also have my road bike brakes set up to front in my right hand, and have to say the last time someone pulled out in front of me i tried useing the rear brake, locked instantly, and just fishtailed around, as i came to a stop on the front wheel, if you progressivly squeeze it it has huge amounts of stopping potential)
Old 10-10-05, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rear brake in my Schwinn didn't work properly for years. Never bothered doing anything about it because I normally use the front brake anyway. Both brakes work fine in my new bike, but I'm just used to using my front brake now, so...
Old 10-10-05, 07:33 PM
Hacker Maximus

Bikes: less than I use to,, more than I need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is not exactlly what you asking, but maybe it can be helpful

I did this conversion for my tandem so i can run Hydrolic and rim brakes at the same time..
i'm sure with some tinkering you can achive similar results,,

I think it works great, super secure and really easy to modulate.

Here is the whole gallery of picture i took and here are some examples so you can see how it works

rim brake Only

Hydrolic Only

the two of them at Unison..

this is how the tandem looks but i don't see why not you can connect one lever to the front brake and one for the rear

No matter what I hope the issue with your hand get better and also If i was to chose I take the Front brake anyday

get better soon.

Ricky
Old 10-10-05, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would set up front brake with my good hand. Maybe some kind of rear or detuned rear for the bad one in extreme circumstances.

btw, here is a link to a Sheldon Brown braking article that goes into detail on effects of the front brakes.

https://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
Old 10-10-05, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quality makes a cable splitter you can use for your brakes.

Set up your brakes so the rear engages almost immediately, and the front soon thereafter.

That way, you can modulate how you use front/rear without going over the handlebars or skidding...
Old 10-10-05, 09:43 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you're totally fine with a front brake only. the only reason i think you really need a back brake (on a freewheel bike) is in the unlikely event the front brake cable broke or came loose, say on a steep hill with a busy intersection at the bottom. highly unlikely but would suck nonetheless.
Old 10-10-05, 10:19 PM
UberClydesdale

Bikes: Klein,Panasonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As another motorcyclist guy I can not believe anyone would even think of only using the rear brake . The front brake gives you around 75% of your stopping power depending on weight distribution and center of gravity, that does not leave the rear brake very much braking power to stop you. Some motorcycles have linked brakes(both work on one lever) but most riders dont like them perfering to operate the brakes separately. If you can only use one hand permanently the photos of both of the levers close together might be a great option. The only time I use the rear brake on the bicycle or motorcycle is when going very slow to hold /control power at slower than a walking pace.

The problem I see in linking the brakes would be in getting the % right between the front/rear. You would not want them to be 50%50 that would be too much in the rear. With the wrong bias you could have a rear wheel skid when you would least want one(down hill with the weight transfer to the front or going around a corner).

Last edited by Motophoto; 10-10-05 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 11:27 PM
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
does anybody make those pedal-backwards brakes like the ones I used on my kmart bike when i was a kid?
Old 10-11-05, 05:43 AM
Resident Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you appear to lack the reading comprehension of a schoolchild, I welcome you to read my previous post again. I'll even duplicate the relevant sentence:

The only difference is that, when using the rear brake, the loss of traction resulting from unloading the rear wheel (rotating around the front hub) also causes a concomittant reduction in braking force, thus providing negative feedback.

Please note that "unloading the rear wheel" and "rotating about the front hub" are, in fact, equivalent concepts.

- Warren
You will not unload the rear wheel when braking with only the rear brake. You may lose traction and the rear wheel will skid, but you will never do a header over the handlebars because you only use your rear brake.
Old 10-11-05, 05:48 AM
Resident Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by btjzx6rr
Olebiker - dude, no offense but you are wrong, i may be a newb at the road bike bit, but uhh you see that green thing over there right under my name, yeah if i were to touch the rear brake oin that most likely i would end up on my head, when you are useing the front brake to its full potential then the rear brake is about useless, the only thing applying it will net is a nice tail hung out slide.

as for not being able to control the bike with thee front brake, again let me reference the motor cycle, there is a picture out there somewhere of a guy riding a race ducati, he is using all the front brakes, rear wheel in the air, and still turning in for the corner. its all a matter of control, when used with care the front brake by itself is very safe and has the ability to do all the work required to stop.
Your example proves the point that I am trying to make: If you use only the front brake in a turn, you risk lifting the rear wheel. If you are a professional motorcycle racer and can control that, great.
Old 10-11-05, 06:02 AM
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've witnessed somebody going head over hood and bike on top of them because they used the front-brake only several times. I literally never use the front brake at all because of this
Old 10-11-05, 06:07 AM
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're Emmett Fitz-Hume, you grab the pretty doctor's cans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.