Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it acceptable to call someone a Fat Bastard

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it acceptable to call someone a Fat Bastard

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't life complicated!

I'm a "Fat Bastard" (although once, when I referred to myself as a bastard, my mother informed me (with a conditional smile) that she was married to my father for a year-and-a-half before I was born. I never called myself a bastard after that.

I've hung around with military folk who almost continuously chide one another with these mock insults. It seems to be the 'manly' way of saying, "I love you, respect you and am glad you're here".

Ain't life complicated! -- & fun too!

To the OP,inpd:
Consider the source. Consider the context. It is very, very likely that he/she meant "Fat Bastard" as a sign of respect and support. We "Fat Bastards" are tougher than our friends who are still eating potato chips while watching NCIS re-runs. We have to work harder to stay-up; I am reasonably confident the leader of your group understands this. We are 'out-there' making a difference to and in our lives. Give him/her some slack, you Fat Bastard --- LOL

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 09-30-15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's already been said. Really depends on the context.

I have friends that make fat jokes towards me and its funny. I rib them back. I know its all in good fun.

If I pass someone I know on a hill, I'll often say, "come on, don't let the fat guy beat you up the hill" just to lighten the mood and motivate them.

Strangers saying it in a belittling way... not so much. I've ridden with guys who are tiny and are good cyclists. I'd never say something negative about their diminutive stature and I hope they would return the favor. If not, they better be fast on that bike
Old 09-30-15, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,739 Times in 7,401 Posts
Originally Posted by bnb69
I guess that I would be tempted to respond to him that, " Unlike you, my parents were married. Please don't refer to me as a bastard."
I couldn't say that. My biological mother was an unwed 16 Y.O. when she got pregnant with me and an unwed 17 Y.O. when she gave birth to me.

Not that you suggested otherwise, but I am not ashamed of it one bit as I had nothing to do with her becoming pregnant. Then again, unless you knew his parents were not married your comment seems to imply that being a bastard is something to be ashamed of.
Old 10-01-15, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
If the OP felt strongly enough about it, he could have opted to not participate in the ride, or withdraw from it. He can also vote with his bike by not participating in any others put on by that ride organiser.

But it is worth pointing out that the comment wasn't aimed at him because, on his own admission, he is no longer a Clyde... and the Clydes in the group seemed to enjoy the joke by laughing at the comments.
Old 10-01-15, 04:01 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

... and the Clydes in the group seemed to enjoy the joke by laughing at the comments.
This isn't a safe conclusion, Rowan. There are many people who have developed strategies for coping with beng bullied, including ingratiating themselves with the bully. It's easier to appear to laugh stuff off than be permanently confrontational, or be the guy with "no sense of humour". That doesn't necessarily mean they're enjoying the joke.
Old 10-01-15, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
This isn't a safe conclusion, Rowan. There are many people who have developed strategies for coping with beng bullied, including ingratiating themselves with the bully. It's easier to appear to laugh stuff off than be permanently confrontational, or be the guy with "no sense of humour". That doesn't necessarily mean they're enjoying the joke.
Perhaps. But I also would like to know if the OP was participating in this group ride for the first time. And whether he spoke to the people who were targets of the comments to see what their attitude was.

I also come from a country where the term "bastard" has virtually lost all connotations of being born out of wedlock. In most contexts, it is an endearing term ("you lucky bastard", or even "ahhh, you fat bastard"); in some others it can be derisive ("you are a sneaky, conniving bastard"); and in some cases offensive ("you bicyclists are all bastards" -- although there are other words that are more in vogue these days).

FBinNY has made several excellent points in his posts about context, in particular.
Old 10-01-15, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I did a group ride on the weekend and the leader kept on referring to the Clydesdales as Fat Bastards which got a laugh from a few people including the Clydesdales so he kept on doing it.

I'm no longer a Clydesdale but I took offense but didn't say anything. What would you do in that situation?
I'd respond "Hey scrawny man, my parents were married!" and then smile, chuckle and give him a friendly slap on the back or shoulder check just hard enough to put him a little off balance. If he can't take it, he shouldn't dish it out.

Our culture is filled with people just looking for a reason to be offended. Our skins have gotten ridiculously thin. Are we so insecure that every little slight, real or perceived, causes "emotional trauma"? As Rowan and others said, it's all about context. If someone is being intentionally cruel, call him out on it. If he's just talking smack or giving you sh**, give it right back and move on. Even if someone is being an ass, it's on them, not you.

Last edited by GravelMN; 10-03-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
I saw a quote and shared it on my FB page

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always"

I like that and would aspire to live my life this way

HAving said that, if it was a group ride of friends that knew each other and rode together frequently , -- i think it sounds like good natured ribbing .

I'm 300 lbs , i've since learned to accept the fact if someone thinks poor thoughts of me because im a big guy, then thats their problem -- i dont have to make it mine. The fact that i am on my bike means i am working on my problem
Old 10-01-15, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the U.S. Army, drill sergeants referred to us continually as “maggots.” Every time we did something that wasn’t to their approval (which was nearly constant for the first half of basic training), we had to walk up to the “no-go-tree,” place our nose against its bark and repeat loudly so all the other maggots could hear: “I AM A NO-GO…I AM A NO-GO…I AM A NO-GO…etc. This would often go on for 15 to 20 minutes or so.

All of us could hardly keep from laughing aloud even when WE were the NO-GO telling the no-go-tree that we were NO-GOs. Hell, I still chuckle about those moments although at the time, the drill sergeants didn’t want us to laugh because it was supposed to be a humiliating form of discipline (even so, it WAS funny and some of us couldn’t help but laugh aloud hence, we joined those telling the no-go-tree that we also were NO-GOs ).

If life has taught me anything, it’s that, you need to have a sense of humor in life or you’ll miss out on all the fun!
Old 10-01-15, 11:11 AM

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...-comments.html

The OP asked if its OK...Personally I think its terrible. Anyone with time should read the above thread where riders describe how unsolicited comments and name calling affect their mental and physical state during riding and other riders offer tips on how to cope.

this is an EDIT just for you

Last edited by VCSL2015; 10-01-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
In the U.S. Army, drill sergeants referred to us continually as “maggots.” Every time we did something that wasn’t to their approval (which was nearly constant for the first half of basic training), we had to walk up to the “no-go-tree,” place our nose against its bark and repeat loudly so all the other maggots could hear: “I AM A NO-GO…I AM A NO-GO…I AM A NO-GO…etc. This would often go on for 15 to 20 minutes or so.

All of us could hardly keep from laughing aloud even when WE were the NO-GO telling the no-go-tree that we were NO-GOs. Hell, I still chuckle about those moments although at the time, the drill sergeants didn’t want us to laugh because it was supposed to be a humiliating form of discipline (even so, it WAS funny and some of us couldn’t help but laugh aloud hence, we joined those telling the no-go-tree that we also were NO-GOs ).

If life has taught me anything, it’s that, you need to have a sense of humor in life or you’ll miss out on all the fun!
Personally Ive spent too many years calling myself a NOGO and I am A YESGO and I think we should focus more energy in encouraging others in building people up around here instead of tearing people down. Wheres the love.

Edited just for you.
Old 10-01-15, 11:40 AM
Omphaloskeptic

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Old 10-01-15, 11:52 AM
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by TankSlapper
Exactly.
Old 10-01-15, 11:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
Exactly.
Old 10-01-15, 12:38 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,045 Posts
Some of you people have serious self-esteem problems.

Old 10-01-15, 11:30 PM

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
A fat bastard NO, a son of a *****, yes.

Old 10-02-15, 07:36 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a group ride on the weekend and the leader kept on referring to the Clydesdales as Fat Bastards which got a laugh from a few people including the Clydesdales so he kept on doing it.

I'm no longer a Clydesdale but I took offense but didn't say anything. What would you do in that situation?
IMO if you have to ask a question like that you are most likely unable or unwilling to heed or understand whatever responses/advice you may receive no offense
Old 10-02-15, 07:42 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VCSL2015
Personally Ive spent too many years calling myself a NOGO and I am A YESGO and I think we should focus more energy in encouraging others in building people up around here instead of tearing people down. Wheres the love.

Edited just for you.
"Wheres the love"
??
You are asking for or looking for love from total strangers on an internet bicycling forum?
Very cool but I think I will stick to my friends and family and pets when looking for and giving love.
I guess I am just old fashioned...
Old 10-02-15, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
IMO if you have to ask a question like that you are most likely unable or unwilling to heed or understand whatever responses/advice you may receive no offense
Ah the classic passive aggressive response with ulterior motives. Why not just say what you truly think, it makes life less complicated!

All I'm asking is how people would react in this situation. I'm not asking for advise as I won't be riding with them again.
Old 10-02-15, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
"Wheres the love"
??
You are asking for or looking for love from total strangers on an internet bicycling forum?
Very cool but I think I will stick to my friends and family and pets when looking for and giving love.
I guess I am just old fashioned...

you missed the msg. To answer the OP I would ignore the remark and keep on pedaling remembering im not a mind reader and i dont know what that man was thinking but im on a ride so "whatever".

If I think name calling is okay? as i said i think its terrible.

Last edited by VCSL2015; 10-02-15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
A fat bastard NO, a son of a *****, yes.

Beat me to it!
Old 10-02-15, 08:47 AM

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leave the group. Not because it's offensive, but I'd be rolling my eyes at someone who thinks repeating the same joke from a movie over and over is funny. Find a group that has some original material.
Old 10-02-15, 11:33 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah the classic passive aggressive response with ulterior motives. Why not just say what you truly think, it makes life less complicated!

All I'm asking is how people would react in this situation. I'm not asking for advise as I won't be riding with them again.
That is deliciously ironic
Why didn't you say what you thought when you heard the comment? Instead of coming to an internet forum to ask strangers for help.
Seriously? What were your ulterior motives for keeping quiet Dr. Freud?
Old 10-02-15, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can call me a' fat bastard', but smile when you say it. 6'4", 270 down from 409. What's
left isn't fat.
Old 10-12-15, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you know me, you can say it. Well, if you know me well. But just be prepared - you open that door and you don't get to close it when I start making fun of you. And I'm VERY good at it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.