Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any tricks to getting a stuck bottom bracket nut off

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any tricks to getting a stuck bottom bracket nut off

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 06:30 AM

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

Not on my watch.

The fixed cup always come out to properly clean, inspect and service cup, threads and shell so it comes out like its supposed to when something goes bad down the line.

The method above will have you done with this in no time.
Yes, remove the fixed cup, especially if it is difficult to remove which may be an indication of corrosion forming. If there is corrosion, you want to nip it in the bud asap, the longer you wait, the worse it gets.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-11-20, 08:35 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Nothing complicated about yours for you, just like I don't find mine cumbersome for me.

I had everything on hand when I started doing this so no trip to the hardware store at all.

They both work just fine for each of us.

I don't like to use any existing parts as part of the tool in case it goes wrong and compromises any of them.

Like you I have been doing this a long time and have screwed up plenty along the way but this is not one of the things I have screwed up since using this method.

Success begets success so I'm sticking with it.
I’m not trying to convince you to change your method. I’m pointing out that my method makes more sense if you don’t have a 6” square of wood and a large clamp. It also works better than the way we have all been taught to work on loose bearing bottom brackets which is to remove the adjustable cup first and then struggle with the fixed cup and a poorly designed tools...which the fixed cup tool is. Removing the fixed cup first avoids a lot of issues.

The only part from the existing crank that I suggest using is the crank fixing bolt. It’s only in the spindle finger tight as it just needs to hold the washer and bottom bracket cup (old one, not from the current bike) in place. Nothing is stressed.

The tool I developed is a poor man’s version of the Stein tool that nlerner posted above. The Stein tool only works if the fixed cup is removed first. It makes sense to me to do it that way even though I was taught like most every one to remove the adjustable cup first.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-20, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
If its hard to remove now, it will be worse later is how I figure it. ... And on old bikes, any modern lube/anti seize/lock tite product is going to be far better than ancient factory lube.
Fixed cups are almost always tight enough to make them difficult to remove. Leaving them in place during regular maintenance won’t cause problems down the line. The Park Tool fixed cup wrench designed to remove them is an awful tool that is difficult to use without stabilization and other tools that might work better are generally expensive and, for the most part, extinct because fixed cups are very much a thing of the past. I was taught not to bother removing them unless absolutely necessary. My method, by the way, makes removal easier than trying to use the stupid fixed cup wrench unstabilized.

Frankly, I would suggest removing the fixed cup and replacing the whole bottom bracket with something that works better and requires far less maintenance...i.e. a cartridge bearing bottom bracket.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-11-20, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked 6,773 Times in 2,633 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The tool I developed is a poor man’s version of the Stein tool that nlerner posted above. The Stein tool only works if the fixed cup is removed first. It makes sense to me to do it that way even though I was taught like most every one to remove the adjustable cup first.
Actually, the Stein tool works fine if the adjustable cup is removed, and that's usually the way I do it. You can even use a sacrificial spindle as it's just acting like a large bolt to attach to the Stein tool, sandwiching the flimsy fixed-cup wrench against the fixed-cup flats.
Old 08-11-20, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've tried the Sheldon method, and it never worked for me. The bolt turns even after tightening the nut. What am I doing wrong?
I've used it twice with success. I think my success is down to two things, one of which (not sure which) may not matter.
1) I use a weirdly big hex nut on the inside. Big enough that the points of it actually dig into the inside of the fixed cup.
2) I have only ever had to do it on low-end stuff, where the cups may not be very adequately hardened, so the nut and split washer can dig in.

I can imagine doing it on some thru-hardened old Campagnolo or some such would see the nut or lock washer just merrily skate along. I may be forced to try it on a friend's Campy cup, stuck in a Vitus 979 likely by galvanic corrosion, so maybe I'll have a chance to test this theory. I'm terrified of cracking a bonded joint with some precisely-applied force that the frame was decidedly not designed for.
Old 08-11-20, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4534 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,706 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I've used it twice with success. I think my success is down to two things, one of which (not sure which) may not matter.
1) I use a weirdly big hex nut on the inside. Big enough that the points of it actually dig into the inside of the fixed cup.
2) I have only ever had to do it on low-end stuff, where the cups may not be very adequately hardened, so the nut and split washer can dig in.

I can imagine doing it on some thru-hardened old Campagnolo or some such would see the nut or lock washer just merrily skate along. I may be forced to try it on a friend's Campy cup, stuck in a Vitus 979 likely by galvanic corrosion, so maybe I'll have a chance to test this theory. I'm terrified of cracking a bonded joint with some precisely-applied force that the frame was decidedly not designed for.
I would venture that if the bonding coming loose is a worry, then while this may hasten it, it's likely to happen sooner rather than later anyway, I would go after it knowing full well it may happen. Better on the workstand than on the road.

That being said, I believe my clamp, trapped wrench method will minimize the possible debonding issue with the BB correctly and securely held in place.

I always have both wheels off and cradle the frame by standing as close as I can, lean into it and cradle the frame for more support while bringing the leverage.

It happens quickly if the lever is long enough so stress is very short and focused,

Using a long lever normally cracks the cup loose quickly with very little monkey motion that can cause problems with twisting and flailing if it is tight and you struggle.
Old 08-11-20, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I’m not trying to convince you to change your method. I’m pointing out that my method makes more sense if you don’t have a 6” square of wood and a large clamp. It also works better than the way we have all been taught to work on loose bearing bottom brackets which is to remove the adjustable cup first and then struggle with the fixed cup and a poorly designed tools...which the fixed cup tool is. Removing the fixed cup first avoids a lot of issues.

The only part from the existing crank that I suggest using is the crank fixing bolt. It’s only in the spindle finger tight as it just needs to hold the washer and bottom bracket cup (old one, not from the current bike) in place. Nothing is stressed.

Well the wood and the clamp, like the fender washer are not hard or expensive at all to source.

The cup, spindle and bearings are a (hopefully) precision interface.

I would contend that anything bolted to it when not complete is unstable and subjects it to undue stress, especially when you yard on it with a big lever.

However small, in the cases of great, old still good condition and often hard to source BB's, I take no chances to maintain the condition without doing any harm.

All that being said, I'm glad you get them apart, it doesn't matter how we do it so long as it gets done.

At the end of the day we want the same thing, get it out and make it right.
Old 08-11-20, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...on RH threaded fixed cups (French and Italian), unless it's installed in the shell so tightly that it is a nightmare to remove it, they have an unfortunate tendency to back out under use. If you've never had this happen to you, consider yourself fortunate, because it usually happens far from home. Personally, I install them now with blue Loctite and a lot off torque with the Hozan tool..
On my Italian bikes I just clean the threads, add a taste of oil for the rust thing, and then wrap a couple layers of plumbers tape on the cup. Works like a nylock and I've never had one come loose and it doesn't require beating into place.
JMO of course
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 08-11-20, 09:58 PM

Well the wood and the clamp, like the fender washer are not hard or expensive at all to source.

The cup, spindle and bearings are a (hopefully) precision interface.

I would contend that anything bolted to it when not complete is unstable and subjects it to undue stress, especially when you yard on it with a big lever.

However small, in the cases of great, old still good condition and often hard to source BB's, I take no chances to maintain the condition without doing any harm.

All that being said, I'm glad you get them apart, it doesn't matter how we do it so long as it gets done.

At the end of the day we want the same thing, get it out and make it right.
All your method, my method and the Stein Tool do is to stabilize the fix cup tool. It doesn’t need to clamp it against the cup. It just needs to be held in place. The fixed cup tool can even be used without stabilization...it’s more difficult but it can be done. In my method, the bolt is just finger tight. That’s all it needs to be.

I used to use a homemade tool at my co-op that I detailed here. It’s similar to your clamp method but, again, the nuts are only finger tight. My new method do exactly the same thing as the tool in my link and, for that matter, you clamp method. The only difference is that the tool in my method is free to turn.

Old 08-11-20, 10:23 PM

All your method, my method and the Stein Tool do is to stabilize the fix cup tool. It doesn’t need to clamp it against the cup. It just needs to be held in place. The fixed cup tool can even be used without stabilization...it’s more difficult but it can be done. In my method, the bolt is just finger tight. That’s all it needs to be.

I used to use a homemade tool at my co-op that I detailed here. It’s similar to your clamp method but, again, the nuts are only finger tight. My new method do exactly the same thing as the tool in my link and, for that matter, you clamp method. The only difference is that the tool in my method is free to turn.
Like I said, I'm glad you also take them apart so they get proper service, the way things go here it seems we are in the minority.