Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

crank length

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

crank length

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 11:24 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I bought a Fuji Professional with 175 cranks in 1977 because the mechanic in the shop I worked said I should buy the boxed one in the basement. I did. I knew nothing about fit; that bike was a radical departure from anything I had ever ridden and from day one I was faster than I had ever known. That fall I had a serious crash. The next March I was training to race again in my fix gewar with 168 cranks. Switched to the Fuji to ride 100 miles in prep for the first race that weekend. That was a crank length change combined with poor fitness, lack of stretching and the cold weather of New England. My knees have never been the same. Now switching crank lengths is a big deal so big I don't. I ride 175s on all my bikes, even my three fix gears.

Not saying there is any magic to 175s. They work well for me and there is real risk to my knees making any changes. (I used to be 6'1/2" with long legs. That first dimension is now shrinking.)

Ben
Old 02-20-17, 12:01 PM
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Maybe I used the wrong terminology BUT ... Pedals ARE levers >> Power or work = F x D.
Math is math. There is nothing wrong with my math as stated. 5/ 165 = 3%.
The math you demonstrate is valid for the effort as exerted over the pedal, not for the power.
And, this is valid only if the rider provided the same torque & power output as with the different length crank.

Hence, your statement is still wrong.
Besides, what you mention is a valid formula for mechanical work, but not for power. The power is the rate of work done, meaning work per unit of time.

And, the "equal torque and power" premise is most certainly wrong, since the rider provides quite a bit different torque and power with a different crank length.

I've ridden with 170 mm cranks for 41 years, and then with 165 mm cranks for the next 10, and my power output is at least 4% better with the shorter cranks.

Looking at the crank as a lever is oversimplifying the entire power delivery chain, as the human body does things better or worse based on a bunch of factors, range of motion being just one example.
Old 02-21-17, 01:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Source Expert Disc commuter/hybrid/tourer, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike, Burley Duet Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'ld be interested in your opinion/experience with different crank lengths. Including how that relates to cadence, and power output (measured or not), comfort, etc.
Someone fairly casually mentioned the subject. I'ld like to hear more.
I've always run 175s because, well, that's what the bikes came with from the factory. When I replaced the factory 48/34 crankset on my touring bike with a 39/26 unit, though, I also opted for 180mm crankarms. That extra 5mm per arm translates to a 10mm (4/10") larger circle by the pedals, and basic physics tells us that the longer arms provide additional torque. Unloaded and/or on flat ground the difference is so slight as to not be noticed, but when loaded and/or climbing, that additional leverage adds incremental torque.
Old 02-21-17, 07:28 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the comments. My experience is the same. Mostly seems to matter very little. Seems a bit less pressure on my knees with shorter cranks and a higher cadence. But something to say for more leverage on hills and cranking out long miles with longer cranks.
I don't mind intelligent disagreements but Shelbyfv really needs to take his insults somewhere else.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 02-21-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Actually, it's over 40 years.......
Harassment/Trolling other forum members is a violation of BF Guidelines.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html