Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 07:55 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
White? Mine looks the same color as Continental glue. Maybe mine is an older or newer formula?
I am guessing a newer formula as I have not used Tubasti in 20 years.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-15-18, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime

A bit of thread drift but.... Coleman fuel is Mineral Spirits?! In California, "paint thinner" has replaced Mineral Spirits on the shelves at the paint and hardware stores so the s is good news to me. I think we still have white gas.
Coleman fuel is petroleum naphtha - which is what paint thinner is supposed to be. I believe the california paint thinner has quite a bit of acetone.

I get Crown Camp Fuel for gasoline lanterns at Walmart - for about half the price of coleman fuel.
Old 09-15-18, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CV-6
I am guessing a newer formula as I have not used Tubasti in 20 years.
The tubasti I've been getting is white - but it still gets all over the place.
Old 09-15-18, 08:11 PM

It seems to be a bit thin and wet compared to Continental glue. I will figure it out. I`m sure the first tire I glue will not look very pretty when I am done. By the third tire I will be a pro.
Thin and wet doesn't sound right. maybe separated? The stuff I've used is a bit thick - and you can spread a pretty thick layer, definitely not runny.
Old 09-15-18, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

I picked up a box of glue from a shop going out of business. Never tried this glue but the price was right. Anything I need to know?
FWIW this was considered by many people to be the tourist glue, at least by the racing set. It stays sticky, so it's convenient if you get a flat. Still, I knew some good racers who preferred it. It is a lot thinner than Clement red was.

I used it once and rolled a tire, which soured me on it permanently. I only ever happened to me that one time. Given that I was 15 and not an experienced mechanic, improper application was at least partly to blame.

In retrospect, I think I'd put at least 3 coats on a new rim, maybe 4, and let the first two dry before the final sticky coat. Also put a coat on the tire. Let dry for longer than it says to on the tube. I'd physically test it by pulling on the tire to see how stuck it is.
Old 09-16-18, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
FWIW this was considered by many people to be the tourist glue, at least by the racing set. It stays sticky, so it's convenient if you get a flat. Still, I knew some good racers who preferred it. It is a lot thinner than Clement red was.

I used it once and rolled a tire, which soured me on it permanently. I only ever happened to me that one time. Given that I was 15 and not an experienced mechanic, improper application was at least partly to blame.

In retrospect, I think I'd put at least 3 coats on a new rim, maybe 4, and let the first two dry before the final sticky coat. Also put a coat on the tire. Let dry for longer than it says to on the tube. I'd physically test it by pulling on the tire to see how stuck it is.
I will try it out and post my findings here when I am done. I have 20 tubes of this stuff. LOL
Old 11-13-18, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,583 Posts
Got to keep this thread going

OK as usual for me, I get a great bike cheap or free and then obsess over the build (in this case I was justified because the crankset was to small for me )

It is a an '84 team miyata and I am trying to bring it back to close to it's original appearance if not specs

In this case original means gum wall tubular.

I probably should bite the bullet. be done with it, etc and get the Corsa G+, but this is not my prime rider and I want to save some bucks.....

I would like to put a a little (or lot) less expensive tire on it.

Would prefer to have a removable valve core for sealant

or can sealant be forced in through a non-removable valve core? or just not bother and as they are cheap just get extra tires?

Any way the usual suspects at the low end with gumwall seem to be

Vittoria Rally
Continental Giro
Yellow Jacket 3 for 50

Thoughts, experience, invective?

thanks

Old 11-13-18, 04:06 PM
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
YJ tubulars 3 for $50 have been surprisingly good. Mount straight, no lumps. Not as good a ride as the pricier tubs (like the Corsa G+) but for the price, hard to beat.

UPDATE: the YJ tubs are 23mm

Last edited by speedevil; 11-13-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-13-18, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,604 Posts
I've used the Conti Giro and the Yellow Jersey sew-ups, and they've been functional. The Giro is probably a better tire, though.
Currently, I've got a Yellow Jersey tire as my spare.

Are the Conti Giro's still gumwall? I'm using the Sprinter on one bike, and it's progressed from dark brown sidewall (previous generation) to black sidewall. Too modern looking for my tastes.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-13-18, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

OK as usual for me, I get a great bike cheap or free and then obsess over the build (in this case I was justified because the crankset was to small for me )

It is a an '84 team miyata and I am trying to bring it back to close to it's original appearance if not specs

I probably should bite the bullet. be done with it, etc and get the Corsa G+, but this is not my prime rider and I want to save some bucks.....

or can sealant be forced in through a non-removable valve core? or just not bother and as they are cheap just get extra tires?

Vittoria Rally
Continental Giro
Yellow Jacket 3 for 50

thanks
The Challenge Elite Pro Tubular is in the same ballpark price as the ones you have listed but no one has reported on them...
I have tried the Vittoria Rally and the Continental Giro and was less than impressed/
Old 11-13-18, 04:22 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts

Vittoria Rally
Continental Giro
Yellow Jacket 3 for 50

thanks
All budget tubulars have negatives. I have and use all the above but two not listed and my preference are:

Panaracer Practice 270 black/tan. Three for $90 should be the ballpark retail discount.

I've been getting them for less through a LBS (wholesale and when they place large restock orders)

Also consider Tufo S33 pro when on sale. Seem as if they were machined on a lathe. Butyl tube.
Old 11-13-18, 04:45 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 779 Posts
Kinda hard to beat tubulars at $0.06 a pair. Even if I have to fill them to the gills with Orange Seal. That's me, your friendly neighborhood bottom feeder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173622247985
Old 11-13-18, 04:46 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,642 Posts
The YJ tires do have a vintage kind of look to them - they're narrow and intended for high pressure and ride hard... but I remember thinking that was cool in 1984.

And IME, they fail less than V or C brand cheapies.
Old 11-14-18, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 555 Posts
Cheapies are good to just start with and get used to mounting tubs on rims and have an idea what the difference in ride is between most clinchers and tubs. But after graduating to higher quality tubs, I now just relegate my Rallys and Giros to spare tire duties, just to get me through a ride after a flat. The whole point of tubular tires is to get the best ride, and the cheapies just don't provide enough of an improvement over clinchers to make them worth it in the long run.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-14-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 11:40 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

well I pulled the trigger.....trying the Challenge Elite Pro 25mm/removable core/black and tan at $28.99 from probike will report out

meanwhile I have a set of corsa g+ clinchers to installs

damn this addiction

Old 11-14-18, 11:57 AM

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
well I pulled the trigger.....trying the Challenge Elite Pro 25mm/removable core/black and tan at $28.99 from probike will report out

meanwhile I have a set of corsa g+ clinchers to installs

damn this addiction
I'd like to hear to how the Elite Pro's work out for you. I'll be building my first set of tubular wheels shortly, and this is the tire I'm leaning towards starting with. Either the Challenge Elite Pro or the Tufo S33 Pro.
Old 11-14-18, 05:17 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
The whole point of tubular tires is to get the best ride, and the cheapies just don't provide enough of an improvement over clinchers to make them worth it in the long run.
That's how I read the riddle too. When I first considered tubulars the BF member who got me started rode cheapies but admitted they could be better. (One blew out on a ride we were on. Bang!!) Some other BF member once posted that life is too short to ride cheap tubulars. I've subscribed to that philosophy ever since. I wouldn't know what cheap tubulars are like but I doooo like the ride of good ones. My preference has been 23mm Veloflex Criteriums. High-end clinchers like the Veloflex Master can be quite tubular-like but still aren't the same.
Old 11-15-18, 10:53 AM

One thing I don't get is the seeming binary aspect of tubies......ether high end and great or low end and adequate (or worse) from the same manufacturer. Seem like the should be some middle ground......

Old 11-15-18, 11:20 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 2,234 Times in 1,114 Posts
@squirtdad - I agree but..... Look at the thread count to begin with. Higher thread count => ride quality. Then add the additional construction features of multiple layers. The gap is often bridged with sales on the lower middle tires.
Old 11-15-18, 11:31 AM

One thing I don't get is the seeming binary aspect of tubies......ether high end and great or low end and adequate (or worse) from the same manufacturer. Seem like the should be some middle ground......
I suspect quality was more continuous BITD when more people rode sew--ups and there were relatively few (no?) good clinchers.
Old 11-15-18, 12:26 PM

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
I just ordered my first nice tubulars - Veloflex Criteriums. Probikekit.com had the best prices I found anywhere. The Veloflex were $60.99 each shipped. The Vittoria Corsa G+ are $58.49. My LBS couldn't order them from their distributor. Other places online were in $80-$90 each.
Old 11-15-18, 03:49 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,642 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
. The whole point of tubular tires is to get the best ride, and the cheapies just don't provide enough of an improvement over clinchers to make them worth it in the long run.
There's more to it than that. I did an event in January that had a good LBS as support and I asked them to check out my bike because I was getting some brake rub around the switchbacks. He told my my rims were shot and I needed new wheels... he was right. He told me he sells a lot of tubeless wheels that would give the same sweet quality ride as the tubulars I had on...but it is not just about the ride quality. There's a whole tubular experience that I enjoy. Built up my own new wheels a couple weeks later and I love them.

Old 11-17-18, 07:28 AM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,134 Posts
Another "whole point of tubulars" is fewer pinch flats at reasonably low pressures and the added security of the tire remaining on the rim after a puncture.
Old 11-18-18, 09:16 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
Maybe off-topic, but definitely refers to the market. Used tubulars are often a great buy.

Add in the sell-off of a lot of 8/9/10-speed wheelsets because they can't run 11-sp cassettes. (Except for many Mavics, for which used prices are increasing)
Add in that you can get an 11-sp cassette (11-32/34 only) that will run on 8/9/10 hubs.

Equaling some great deals on 8/9/10 tubular wheelsets that can be made to run 7-11 speeds.

I was looking on CL for just such things. Found some 10-sp Mavic SSL tubulars, and yep, they are about double what they were 3 years ago. Found some 10-sp Zipps and they were about half. Bought the Zipps, and the "tubular tired" seller threw in 2 pair of new carbon brake pads, 4 new tubular tires, all his valve extenders, tubular tape, sealant, etc.

The tubular market in used wheels is very, very nice to play in, and tires often come with 'em.
Old 11-18-18, 10:59 AM

I love that you sometimes see 8-9-10-speed stuff on eBay in the vintage bike parts category. So not completely off-topic, Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.