Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A different Mexican frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A different Mexican frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 08:38 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,321 Times in 1,122 Posts
I needed the dust cap for another bike and eBay prices were nuts at $30 for metal ones. Unfortunately this bike only had one. But the Suntour bar ends were a little gravy over all of it.

Old 11-08-23, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 6,742 Times in 2,625 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

The next bike I buy will be for the hoods or pedal straps.
For me, it’ll be for the air in the tires.
Old 11-08-23, 08:45 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by nlerner
Only if it was original Mexican air.

Old 11-08-23, 08:45 PM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 6,518 Times in 3,230 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Is that where your neighbor the dentist with the old Raleigh keeps his nitrous?
Old 11-08-23, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 6,742 Times in 2,625 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Is that where your neighbor the dentist with the old Raleigh keeps his nitrous?

Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-31-23, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Outstanding research and your example is in good shape. I have a similar bike that came from Gregg's Greenlake Cycles in Seattle about 50 years ago. The Falck double-butted tubing us reputed to have outstanding ride quality: the prior owner of the frame I have used it as a commuter bike and put about six or seven thousand miles on it annually and did so for decades - for what he used it for he found no better ride at any price and he collected pro bikes like the rest of us have matching pairs of socks. I've found quite a bit of history for Falck and interestingly they made the blanks or starting point for Columbus tubing in that era. Full credit to Robvolz for his photos, I've speculated that the frames came with lots of plating but mine is black powdercoated and I plan to remove all of the well polished areas when I figure out how to remove it.
Likes For Jim G:
Old 01-01-24, 12:32 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 794 Posts
PC is mainly polyester resin (occasionally you'll fine epoxy resin but that's not common cause it costs more) so any paint stripper with old formula (and dangerous) methylene chloride makes short work of it.
Well, not as short as common paint removal but that stuff will melt plastics, plus burn thru gloves and then your skin!
If you have epoxy PC you can probably "soften it" with acetone but it won't necessarily "wipe away" you'll probably have to scrape it off.
Old 01-01-24, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 2,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim G
Outstanding research and your example is in good shape. I have a similar bike that came from Gregg's Greenlake Cycles in Seattle about 50 years ago. The Falck double-butted tubing us reputed to have outstanding ride quality: the prior owner of the frame I have used it as a commuter bike and put about six or seven thousand miles on it annually and did so for decades - for what he used it for he found no better ride at any price and he collected pro bikes like the rest of us have matching pairs of socks. I've found quite a bit of history for Falck and interestingly they made the blanks or starting point for Columbus tubing in that era. Full credit to Robvolz for his photos, I've speculated that the frames came with lots of plating but mine is black powdercoated and I plan to remove all of the well polished areas when I figure out how to remove it.
-----

thank you for your message

if your example is DB Falck it is likely to be at least one rung uprange from the subject frame

for example, there were models termed Competition and Touring which were above the Carrera Sport and below the Professional

AFAIK there is only one ACER-MEX catalogue posted online, done by forum member bulgie, and dated 1978 -

bulgier.net - /pics/bike/Catalogs/Windsor-78/

also from bulgie there are a couple undated brochure pages from the early seventies boom era -

bulgier.net - /pics/bike/Catalogs/windsor/

-----
Old 01-01-24, 01:23 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
AFAIK there is only one ACER-MEX catalogue posted online, done by forum member bulgie, and dated 1978 -

bulgier.net - /pics/bike/Catalogs/Windsor-78/
Thank you! The AM-3 Carrera Special 10 Speed in that catalog appears to be almost identically equipped as my '79 Carabela. The only difference is my Carabela has Shimano low flange hubs and a 6 speed freewheel. I don't know if the wheels were swapped or if this is a difference between the Windsor and Carabela marques.

Edit: Just checked and it is a 5 speed FW.

Last edited by Chuck M; 01-01-24 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-01-24, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 2,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Thank you! The AM-3 Carrera Special 10 Speed in that catalog appears to be almost identically equipped as my '79 Carabela. The only difference is my Carabela has Shimano low flange hubs and a 6 speed freewheel. I don't know if the wheels were swapped or if this is a difference between the Windsor and Carabela marques.

Edit: Just checked and it is a 5 speed FW.
-----

suspect you may be. on right track with suggestion that wheels may not be original

usually cycle manufacturers will tend to stay within one keiretsu (trade association) when sourcing components from Japan manufacturers in order to get an overall better price

ACER-MEX tended to source from the trade group comprised of Sugino, MAEDA, Matsush*&ta (Sunshine), DiaCompe, etc.

here is a 1973 trade publication advert showing Shimano's trade group partners -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-30-24, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply and the advice. Methylene Chloride is an old friend so I'm familiar with what it can do and how to use it. Whether It's currently available I'll find out soon enough. A chemical tool followed by hand removal in a way that won't affect the microfinish of the chrome is what I'm after.
I was surprised to learn it's used every day. Based on extensive research data, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that methylene chloride is safe for use in coffee decaffeination. FDA regulation allows for up to 10 parts per million (ppm) of residual methylene chloride, but actual coffee-industry practice results in levels that are 100 times lower than this amount.
Old 01-31-24, 12:57 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 794 Posts
"...the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that methylene chloride is safe for use in coffee decaffeination..."
one more reason I'll be sticking with regular caffeinated coffee, thank you!
If I have to have something DeCaf (not so far) I have no problems with "grain beverages" like Postum or Inka since they are so far from any actual coffee flavor I regard them as in a category all of their own.
YMMV
Old 01-31-24, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 770 Posts
Carabella = Windsor
Mexico - Classic Rendezvous

Last edited by Camilo; 01-31-24 at 10:49 PM.