Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does politics, culture or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 08:14 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
Germany was never a cycling nation.
I beg your pardon? How do you measure that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-01-20, 08:15 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Tim, your Trek post reminds me: the Antelope and similar bikes.
Bulletproof or close.
I applaud that.
Old 12-01-20, 08:30 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,395 Times in 895 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Tim, your Trek post reminds me: the Antelope and similar bikes.
Bulletproof or close.
I applaud that.
Good point on Trek = bulletproof.

Growing up, Schwinns were known for being indestructable. Most of my paper route bikes were old balloon tire Schwinns dating from the 1930/40s.

Now I see the same thing with old Treks. Good bones on those bikes.
Old 12-01-20, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Thanks guys, I see you noticed the also bulletproof Schwinn, next to the Trek.
Tim
Old 12-01-20, 11:20 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,859 Times in 2,241 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I would submit that politics and nationalism (which can include enthusiasm for a country that's not your own) plays a bigger part than some will admit. Look at how some love, e.g. French or Italian bikes but not Chinese bikes.
If mainland China had been building quality lightweight bikes - back in the day (we are C&V, ) somebody would be defending the pedigree and collecting them.
Anyone - please correct me with a pic of a vintage lightweight from the Asian mainland, pre 1985.
Old 12-01-20, 11:41 AM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 648 Posts
The China thing will pass when I was a kid the Japanese were bogey men today it’s the Chinese and who knows where it’ll be tomorrow.

I’m kind of a knife geek and we have this debate too. China & Taiwan make some very nice knives Taiwan doesn’t need to overcome perceptions but China does. With that little hobby I still only buy American or German it’s not nationalism I’m American my wife is German so I support our countries when I can.

Judging from the looks of some of the steel bikes I see on Ali Express it seems like the Chinese can build some pretty sexy steel.

we can make anything political if we want but the Americans build some sexy steel, Nitto builds the sexiest components, Panracer makes excellent clinchers, and the English make pretty saddles and when you combine them all you end up with awesome.
Old 12-01-20, 11:42 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Good point on Trek = bulletproof.

Growing up, Schwinns were known for being indestructable. Most of my paper route bikes were old balloon tire Schwinns dating from the 1930/40s.

Now I see the same thing with old Treks. Good bones on those bikes.

I hear these expressions = all the time. From Americans.

Please explain how a Trek is more bulletproof than a ______ (quality vintage lightweight).
Good Bones? didn't they use Reynolds, Ishiwata, etc tubing like most others?

Schwinn indestructable = more steel. More steel on a bike is not desirable in an adult's lightweight.

I thought people bought adult Schwinn's because they were cheaper and more available than imports. Or that's all they knew.

Perhaps this is a case of - people speak highly of their choice in purchases, so as not to sound like they made a 'less than great' decision. And besides, made in America, makes us (USAers) all feel a little bit patriotic.
Old 12-01-20, 03:34 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Wildwood

And besides, made in America, makes us (USAers) all feel a little bit patriotic.
Not me. I hate everybody. I’m just more disgusted with some than others.

I just see a ton of Trek Antelope-type bikes that have been beat to death and seem just fine, albeit ugly.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-01-20, 04:52 PM

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Yes, it is hard to find high-end bikes in china that are C.V. Bicycles were considered utilitarian and when China began to "modernize" the bicycle was considered by the government to be used by only the "lower" class. Now with pollution and restrictions on car ownership/licensing bikes may be on the way back.
If it has 2 wheels and is human-powered, I would consider riding it.
Everything is made from parts from different parts of the world.....Globalization has complicated the pedigree in many ways.
Best, Ben

1987...not a lightweight

but while searching I found this...next time I am there I might take a look.
Old 12-01-20, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts

Please explain how a Trek is more bulletproof than a ______ (quality vintage lightweight).
Good Bones? didn't they use Reynolds, Ishiwata, etc tubing like most others?

Schwinn indestructable = more steel. More steel on a bike is not desirable in an adult's lightweight.

I thought people bought adult Schwinn's because they were cheaper and more available than imports. Or that's all they knew.

Perhaps this is a case of - people speak highly of their choice in purchases, so as not to sound like they made a 'less than great' decision. And besides, made in America, makes us (USAers) all feel a little bit patriotic.
Well of course you do, it’s an American euphemism that’s been around like forever, and last time I looked, Seattle was still located in America.
It’s way more polite then saying something is, built like a brick **** house. It’s just an expression for quality or useful longevity of an item, be it perceived, or actual, who cares.
It’s been used by American, to describe items from other countries, and just about anything from Germany.
I’m sure people in other countries have their own descriptive euphemisms for items, but why would one use them in conversation here?
I don’t think any slight or offense was intended, why go look for one?
Tim
Old 12-01-20, 06:46 PM

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 616 Posts
Nope. I buy what catches my eye that's my size and hopefully within my budget. I don't care where it came from although I do seem to have more Japanese built bikes than all the others combined, but that may be because the majority of my "accumulation" is from the 70's and 80's and Japanese bikes seemingly outnumbered all the others. Or not. I have a thing for Raleighs but of the five I own four were made in Japan as were the majority of the Schwinns I own.
Old 12-01-20, 06:48 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by aland2
Germany was never a cycling nation.
Dave Scott rode an Eisentraut. But that's all I know about that.
Old 12-01-20, 06:58 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Jan Urlich was a blip and the German Olympic squads were all doped. Unlike American teams. (or Canadians)
Old 12-01-20, 07:07 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,799 Posts
Long time pro racer Jens Voigt was born in Germany. At the time it was East Germany.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-01-20, 07:15 PM

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 329 Posts
I tend to think that I choose bikes out of nostalgic reasons,( the bikes my Hero's rode), or the Bikes that personified Tradition , quality and innovation. Country of origin or politics doesnt really matter to me. My favorite cyclist was Bernard Hinault,Francesco Moser and later Greg Lemond. So Ive had a Gitane, A Moser and A Lemond. I also owned a Schwinn Prologue,Made in Japan, I bought it strictly for Racing season.

I never should have sold my Gitane or Lemond though.
Old 12-01-20, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked 6,415 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Jan Urlich was a blip and the German Olympic squads were all doped. Unlike American teams. (or Canadians)
Jan was a sizeable blip as was Jens and while maybe not a nation they did make, Germany produced plenty of cyclists and teams that helped drive the sport to the levels it attained, good, bad, doped or otherwise.
Old 12-01-20, 07:24 PM

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
isn't the simplified story of Germany similar to Britain where they preferred hub gear bikes to derailleur gear bikes (which might have negatively affected them in the sport cycling scene)
Old 12-01-20, 07:48 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

@tkamd73 - Liked your first 3 paragraphs or so. Fair statements. I guess expressions just get applied to popular brands. I intended no offense. Have owned Treks and Schwinns, but I have never heard those expressions (indestructable, good bones, bulletproof {at least that one is understandably American}).applied to other vintage brands. Although many bmx and kids bikes were marketed 'indestructable'. And many mid-weight single speed cruisers were roughly treated - that's why those metal 'tank' covers on ebay cost $$$. I'm talking lightweights, not mid-weight cruisers.

Maybe the Europeans have national phrases for their enshrined national brands? IDK, but love to hear them.

Probably the Italians have the most. ya know the tifosi.

@RobbieTunes - yeah a lot of vintage mountain and all terrain bikes were abused (tho even with low mileage) and thankfully overbuilt with heavier tubing and cheap parts that should be replaced anyway.. Usually those fat tires took the beating, cause old mtb wheels are mostly toast.
edit: i remember as a kid seeing others roll their bike down a hill just to watch it crash.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-01-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 07:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Well, from a C&V perspective, the height of bicycle racing was 6-day races. Outside the US, the height of 6-day races was in Germany, until the nazis put the kibosh on them. And as you expect, many of the great 6-day racers were German. So the idea Germany was never a cycling nation is ludicrous. And like the US, post war interstate highways, autobahns and a good economy created a car culture. Screw bikes.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-01-20, 08:40 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Outside the US, the height of 6-day races was in Germany, until the nazis put the kibosh on them. And as you expect, many of the great 6-day racers were German. So the idea Germany was never a cycling nation is ludicrous.
Agreed. IMO the Sixes were the most successful professional international sporting circuits of the early 20th century, maybe second to boxing. Highly recommend Six Days of Madness by Ted Harper. He has a central North American perspective but details most all of the big international riders including the top tier teams from Germany. They were dominant for years.
Old 12-01-20, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
That is all well and good, but do not, repeat do not, drink with Australians.
Absolutely ! ! Even if you know them it will not go well

As for the other I don't have time or energy to waste on jingoistic bull****e of any kind fostered by anyone. At every level of society in every imaginable activity people do incredibly stupid things for reasons even more so. The only salvation that I see is to live your life as it pleases you and hope for the best.
AFAIC that includes an Italian bicycle but that might just be me

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 12-01-20 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 09:11 PM
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Interesting topic - hadn't thought of this before. I came of "cycling age" during the mid-'70s and early '80s, and understood at least competitive cycling to be a Euro-based sport. Even with that original bias, the current fleet includes Litespeed, LeMond x2, Serotta, '83 Trek. '84 Schwinn and Norco (Canadian), so a very North American slant. Previous rides included Paramount, Centurion x3, Marinoni, Franklin (built in Columbus, OH), but my all-time favorite was a '73 Italian Masi.
Looking back, I think I'm impressed that American builders can produce excellent bikes in what I had thought to be a European sport.
But I love them all.
Old 12-01-20, 09:49 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
If available I will buy by either American or German
Does that mean there are 4?
Old 12-01-20, 09:52 PM
Banned.

With a nationometer?

After WWII, they had their own tour, as they were disinvited for a while.
Old 12-01-20, 09:59 PM
Banned.

@tkamd73
@RobbieTunes I remember as a kid seeing others roll their bike down a hill just to watch it crash.
With us, it was wagons, with a little brother forced to ride, scared stiff.
Likes For RobbieTunes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.