Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chicago area CVers Meetup and Ride!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chicago area CVers Meetup and Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 03:28 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Why don't we plan one ride along the Fox River (or at Polar Creek: https://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/pc_trailmap.pdf ) and another along the North Branch: https://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?conte...8&file=map_68e

Participants could do one or both rides.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-02-09, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beech333
This is a little bit of my reasoning to use a trail like the Prairie Path or Fox River Trail.
That too, but I meant vehicle traffic driving to the start
Old 11-02-09, 05:06 PM

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd do my best to make both rides.

As it is, I'd be up for the North Branch (or lakefront) option this weekend. Saturday or Sunday would work, though Sunday would be slightly better.

Any takers for that, or are people more inclined to do the Fox River? I'd do that another time, but couldn't this weekend (I'm able to get someone to cover being "on call" for a few hours, but not much longer).

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Why don't we plan one ride along the Fox River (or at Polar Creek: https://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/pc_trailmap.pdf ) and another along the North Branch: https://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?conte...8&file=map_68e

Participants could do one or both rides.

Michael
Old 11-02-09, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I'd be more likely to make a Fox River or Prairie Path Ride. I would agree that two rides might be a good idea. Sundays are best but I could make a Saturday work as well.
Old 11-02-09, 05:59 PM

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey all,

Sorry to chime in so late, and to confuse things with a 3rd option, but if anyone's game, I'd be into a ride on the Chicago lakefront path on Sunday morning. Path traffic should be pretty minimal now that summer's gone.
Old 11-02-09, 06:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fox River works best for me, but I'm open for any location. Someone needs to make the call on time and location.
Old 11-02-09, 06:23 PM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Fox River could work for me on Saturday in between 8am - 4pm. Can anybody who rides there regularly chime in on construction? I've only been there a few times before they started construction on the trails. Is it done?

I'd be happy to go for more rides closer to Chicago early next year.

To pull a trigger on this, how about 10 am Fox River at the North River Street Park?

Last edited by beech333; 11-02-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 06:53 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

How about the Fox River on Saturday @ 10am. Where is the North River Street park?

and...

The Chicago Lakefront @ 9am on Sunday. We could meet at the Belmont Harbor car park east of LSD.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-02-09, 06:57 PM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
No interesting story on why I used this address. I just noticed it when I went there the first time.

Aurora police dept
350 N River St, Aurora, IL

It is just North of East New York St, also known as Aurora Ave.

Edit: There is a parking lot for the park across the street from the police dept.

Last edited by beech333; 11-02-09 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:35 PM

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

How about the Fox River on Saturday @ 10am. Where is the North River Street park?

and...

The Chicago Lakefront @ 9am on Sunday. We could meet at the Belmont Harbor car park east of LSD.

Michael
Sounds like a plan. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the Saturday ride. But, I'll be there on Sunday. Having friends over for dinner on Saturday night, but I'll try not to drink too much wine

Belmont at 0900 sounds good. I assume that this will be a nice, leisurely social ride? DT shifters, rather than brifters? I'll be riding in from the Evanston/Chicago border, if anyone is coming in from that direction and wants to meet up.

From Belmont, we can head south and see how we feel?
Old 11-02-09, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
"How about the Fox River on Saturday @ 10am. Where is the North River Street park?"

Gonna try and make this one....I am familiar with the area........not sure about any recent construction though. I have some riding buddies that went through that area a couple weeks ago and said it was clear sailing.
Old 11-02-09, 08:16 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by bibliobob
Sounds like a plan. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the Saturday ride. But, I'll be there on Sunday. Having friends over for dinner on Saturday night, but I'll try not to drink too much wine

Belmont at 0900 sounds good. I assume that this will be a nice, leisurely social ride? DT shifters, rather than brifters? I'll be riding in from the Evanston/Chicago border, if anyone is coming in from that direction and wants to meet up.

From Belmont, we can head south and see how we feel?
I can meet you at Ardmore & Sheridan where the lakefront path begins at 8:40am. It should take about 20 minutes to get to Belmont. Anyone else who lives up north is welcome to meet us at this location.

Michael
Old 11-02-09, 08:54 PM

I can meet you at Ardmore & Sheridan where the lakefront path begins at 8:40am. It should take about 20 minutes to get to Belmont.

Michael
Done deal. What do you plan on riding (Not that I expect there to be a ton of people with vintage rides hanging around the top of the path)? Night Tiger, my wife, and perhaps another person or two may be coming as well.
Old 11-03-09, 03:32 AM
Have bike, will travel

I'll be on this;

Old 11-03-09, 07:09 AM

I'll either be riding one of these (though not the Cilo, which now belongs to Night Tiger)..

or this, which has since been finished. This reminds me that I REALLY need to take newer and better photos of the stable.
Old 11-03-09, 07:21 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,606 Times in 3,787 Posts
I know that it is still 5 days out, but Weather.com has a pretty nice forecast for Chicago this weekend, especially for Sunday.
Old 11-03-09, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I know that it is still 5 days out, but Weather.com has a pretty nice forecast for Chicago this weekend, especially for Sunday.
Indeed. Think you'll be able to make it in? If it helps, I'm sure that we could bump the start time to 1000?
Old 11-03-09, 07:37 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

I just found out that I have this Sunday off, so I will try and make it.

I have a GPS to help me with the directions. What is the address of the Sunday ride starting point?
Old 11-03-09, 07:38 AM
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts

I'll prep the Power Climber. Does that count as C&V?

Nice bikes Bobby! Love the Butler and Merckx!

I'd be all over this if I were here on weekends.
Old 11-03-09, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I am in for Sunday for sure, maybe Saturday as well though I don't want to over-train.I have to admit I have not yet ridden this path and am looking forward to it.

Leisurely is good! I may be able to meet up with Bibliobob & Co. at the N end of the path; he and I have met so will likely recognize each other. In case of anyone else, I'll be the guy on a light blue Miyata touring, wearing incorrect shoes and clothing.

Hope you can make it in, Bill!
Old 11-03-09, 08:11 AM
Forum Moderator

Still working on trying to make it, and if I do, I'll be on this.

Old 11-03-09, 08:40 AM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Count me in for Saturday. I think I will bring the '80 Gitane Criterium I got from 23Skidoo.
Old 11-03-09, 08:43 AM
Have bike, will travel

I posted a notice at the Great Lakes Regional forum https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...25#post9974225
Old 11-03-09, 10:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sound like we will have a Saturday ride. If I put the Aurora address in my GPS, will I be able to find the start of the ride? I am driving about 125 miles so I don't want to miss the start. I will be riding either a Saroni red Colnago or a chrome Paramount, depending on whether we race or tour.LOL!!!
Old 11-03-09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I just found out that I have this Sunday off, so I will try and make it.

I have a GPS to help me with the directions. What is the address of the Sunday ride starting point?

Nice! 3200 N. Lake Shore Dr. should work for the Belmont address (Belmont is 3200 north on our grid).

If parking is too tough there (not sure what it's like on a Sunday morning, but that's a VERY congested neighborhood), we could also pick people up at Foster beach house (5200 N. Lake Shore Dr.), which has plenty of parking.

If you want to meet us at the top of the path at Ardmore, use 5800 N. Sheridan Rd. (Ardmore is 5800 north) as an address.

Let me know what you end up doing, and I'll pm you my cell number so that we can be sure to meet up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.