Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Seriously, what's so great about Brooks saddles?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Seriously, what's so great about Brooks saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 03:48 PM
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My two B-17 Standards are very comfortable. Once I tried switching back to the saddles I removed, and I realized how much better the Brooks fit and felt.

In addition, there's something that screams out - get your butt over here and ride me when you see one!

Last edited by BA Commuter; 02-13-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 03:59 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've never seen anyone with anything of standard colors, black, honey or brown.
that's 2 more colors than were offered 20 and 30 years ago, I have 2 Brooks pros
I bought way back then ..blackish brown was the only dye color.
Old 02-13-11, 04:19 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Up until the mid seventies most decent bicycles were fitted with a leather saddle... most high end bikes were fitted with a Brooks while the French really preferred their Ideale which was every bit as nice as their English made counterparts.

Mid level bicycles may have been fitted with a Wright's, Lycette, or others and it is suspected that the AGDA saddle fitted to thousands of bike boom Peugeots brought about the decline of the leather saddle as these were truly horrible instruments of torture.

Wrights, as well as Lycette were taken over by Brooks to produce second tier saddles although I have been very pleased with the Wrights and Lycette saddles I own and do love my Ideale saddles as well.

I ride saddles that are comfortable and not because they are fashionable... use some non leather saddles and passed along many saddles of both types that I did not find comfortable.

If you find a leather saddle that is comfortable, well made, and take care of it, it may outlast your butt.
Old 02-13-11, 04:28 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Forums yes, marketing no. I've never seen anyone with anything of the standard colors, black, honey or brown. And, I do not see the cool kids riding Brooks. And, nobody knows or cares who owns Brooks. And, the cost of my SMP drawfs Brooks.

My 2cents is: current popularity is fueled by users on forums, modern word of mouth, and purchases are by internet vs. LBS. I very much doubt the "cool" bike stores in my very hip bike community carry any Brooks products, Brooks popularity is not mainstream cool where I live.
Brooks are not mainstream in my area either, and the many cyclists that I've encountered locally, most know the brand name, but none owning one. At my request, my LBS brought in three Brooks saddles, in which I purchased a black one and the LBS put in stock two others, another black and a brown.

I later bought the second black Brooks from the LBS, and someone else buying the brown, but the LBS has yet to put anymore Brooks back in stock, making it again one more "out of sight, out of mind" item.
Old 02-13-11, 04:36 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Up until the mid seventies most decent bicycles were fitted with a leather saddle...
Even my lowly Varsity had a leather saddle, though I did chance upon a vinyl covered metal seat from an early Varsity, it's a true work of utter horror and now lives in the rafters of my shop with it only being brought down to remind myself that not all was good in the "good 'ol days".
Old 02-13-11, 05:28 PM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the biggest thing for me, is once I got it set up on my MTB (a couple of rides), I no longer think about it.

I guess, now that I think about it , I should probably add some more protectant...it's been a couple of years.

The reason I bought mine in the first place:

I was camping in Northern AZ and ran into a guy at the campground who had a nice Surly 1x1 (possibly Karate Monkey) with a Brooks on it. He mentioned just wearing his normal shorts, being extremely comfortable and and that the saddle was breathable. It also looked great on his bike, so I went out and bought one to try.

I haven't noticed any others on the road around here, but I admit, I don't usually check out other guys saddles...

I'm thinking about changing the frame on my road bike from a very stiff AL Allez to a Pake C'Mute. I haven't tried the Brooks on Allez, but will definitely do so on the C'Mute.

EDIT - Should have mentioned - Mine is a B17.

Last edited by cat; 02-13-11 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-13-11, 05:35 PM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why does it matter? if you don't like them don't ride them. Just because many people really do like them doesn't mean you will. It's not big deal, ride what makes you and your arse happy!
Old 02-13-11, 06:25 PM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, what's the point of starting this thread when the topic has been discussed to death on here?

Just a few, some even have almost the exact same thread title!
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-198575.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-405950.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-556905.html
Old 02-13-11, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3387 Post(s)
Liked 5,559 Times in 2,883 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
Seriously, what's the point of starting this thread when the topic has been discussed to death on here?
You must be new here.
Old 02-13-11, 06:27 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani

Just a few, some even have almost the exact same thread title!
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-198575.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-405950.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-556905.html
Short attention spans ?

Inability to use the search function ?

Masochism ?

Old 02-13-11, 06:29 PM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like the "brooks a BF practical joke?" thread!
Old 02-13-11, 07:42 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't have a Brooks, but I do have an old Ideale and an even older Belt saddle. Both are leather -- similar to the Brooks -- and I really like them... although you do need to carry a shower cap to make sure it doesn't rain on them.

I was told it took a brief period of adjustment before your butt adjusted to the saddle, but I can honestly say that break-in period was no longer than the length of my driveway.

Plus leather saddles look so elegant.
Old 02-13-11, 07:57 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Brooks saddle is better than a piece of 2x4 as a torture device for your **** although a lot more expensive. My WTB is also a leather saddle and much more comfortable from the beginning. Although, I'm sure it won't last as long as a Brooks saddle or a piece of 2x4.

Me: "My butt is on fire after 300 miles, I can't ride, can't walk, can't sleep, can't ****!!!!"
Brooks Support: "Yes, it might take 1,000 miles to wear your saddle in...."
Me: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Brooks Support: "Bloody **** is it that bad?"
Me: "You guessed?"

Adam
Old 02-13-11, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Anyone who would say that would own a plastic boat. Probably a Sea Rey
oy vey Capn. Even a wood kayak benefits from a plastic seat.
Old 02-13-11, 09:19 PM
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
For my road bike: Serfas Vistoso $55 ish. No break in, no drama, all day rides no problem
Old 02-14-11, 02:16 AM
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one bike with a Brooks saddle and it is my daily rider. Nothing else will do for me. I thought it to be comfortable out of the box. It has only gotten better over time.
Old 02-14-11, 04:07 AM
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Brooks.

One is a B17 on my daily ride, a Giant Lava. It was comfortable out of the box when I got the angle adjusted correctly. It has about 4000 km on it, and feels and looks great.

The other is a sprung version of a B17, but with the nice copper bits. It is on my touring bike, a Surly LHT. It has nearly 2000 km on it, but the area where my sit bones go has sagged a lot. I am thinking that I will try lacing it, and if that doesnt work I will replace it. I am guessing the difference is the leather? Maybe that the wear in on this one was longer rides? Not sure.

z
Old 02-14-11, 05:18 AM
dazed and confused

Bikes: 2011 Cube Hyde Team Alfine 8 IGH, 2007 Giant Rock hardtail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hammock for me bollocks? Brilliant!

I didn't realize that was how it works. It does seem like a lot of money compared with other saddles. But I suppose if you equate the cost to a pair of good shoes it doesn't sound so bad (especially as it will last a lifetime). My current seat feels like I'm sitting on a plank and I'd believe whoever said you could try 2 or 3 inexpensive saddles before finding one that's suitable or just get a Brooks and be done with it. I ordered a black B17 STD and will soon find out for myself.
Old 02-14-11, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Greenspeed GT3

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by newkie

yes, it is, isn't it?

actually, it's not quite that soft, mate...

happy riding!
Old 02-14-11, 06:32 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newkie

I didn't realize that was how it works. It does seem like a lot of money compared with other saddles. But I suppose if you equate the cost to a pair of good shoes it doesn't sound so bad (especially as it will last a lifetime). My current seat feels like I'm sitting on a plank and I'd believe whoever said you could try 2 or 3 inexpensive saddles before finding one that's suitable or just get a Brooks and be done with it. I ordered a black B17 STD and will soon find out for myself.
Yeah, Brooks saddles and shoe soles have something in common

On the saddle I had the point your perineum sits on was the highest point on the saddle and hard like wood. Even when I was on my seatbones, my perineum was rubbing hard. If I angled it down I would slide forwards. Brooks rep was really like "Well, it works for some people, it doesn't work for everyone", and they seriously said it would take up to 1000 miles to break B17N in. According to them it's the hardest saddle they make to break in. After 300+ miles my perineum was on fire and the saddle was like new, I couldn't take it any more. I sold it to a forum member. He hasn't been posting for a while... hm...

Leather is great, it's just the B17N felt like chunk of wood and I wasn't willing to spend months in pain breaking it in. I got all the help I could get from forum members and Brooks, and adjusted the saddle many times to no avail. Perhaps if I tried the wider one with a cutout my story would have been different.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-11, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I wish I could find either a cheaper or lighter saddle that worked as well as a Brooks for me. Preferably both. I still try other saddles that come my way; I'd be thrilled to find one that worked as well or better.

Not local cool; interwebz fora bike geek cool.

Duh
Old 02-14-11, 09:05 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Short attention spans ?

Inability to use the search function ?

Masochism ?

Or, if he bumped one of those old threads, someone would give him **** for "resurrecting a zombie thread."

What do I think is so great about Brooks saddles? Well, to be honest, it was the high resale value that got me interested enough to try one. I found a B17 at a shop, looked at the price, and thought, hey, if I don't like it, I can sell it on CL in less than a week, and for practically the same price.

I still haven't sold it, though. Although I now have an extra Swift that doesn't have a home (got it when I had more bikes).
Old 02-14-11, 12:12 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bought mine after reading much about it, but particularly after reading a comment from a guy who had inherited his Brooks from his father who finally gave it up after 50 years in his 90s. I like the idea of stuff that lasts many decades.

I like mine, though I really don't have much trouble with saddles in general, my body seems very forgiving of whatever I happen to be using. I do have less trouble with the Brooks on longer rides (metric centuries and more) than I do with the other saddles I've used.
Old 02-14-11, 01:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I was riding Brooks saddles before Al Gore invented the internet...and before the first PC's hit the market.

They aren't for everybody, however if they work for you they are the best saddle out there. I can ride a brand new Brooks out of the box and it only gets more comfortable as I ride. I have a Wrights (very similar to Brooks) that I have been riding on various bikes since the early 70's, it has about lived out it's life span. There are other leather saddles out there and they may be more comfortable to other people. I have had Ideale and Persons and prefer the Brooks.

They do not work well on a bike with a very aggressive riding position, where the bars are substantially lower than the saddle. None of my bikes are set up that way.

Aaron
I have my Bike Friday set up with a very aggressive riding position and a B-17. It's very comfortable. I find it works great. I also find them comfortable out of the box.
Old 02-14-11, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I sold it to a forum member. He hasn't been posting for a while... hm...
It's because he is out riding Adam ;-)

I like my Brooks Flyer, unfortunately it was stolen. I will replace it once I get a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.