Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

An article that it would do several people on this board good to read.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

An article that it would do several people on this board good to read.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 10:37 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Well, when the foundation of your argument is that people will not accept change, you've doomed yourself to a bleak outcome.
They won't. And we have (doomed ourselves to a bleak outcome). I hope time will prove me wrong.
Old 02-08-08, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People won't change their behaviour just because they've been told they should or should not do something. In fact, some will react by moving in the opposite direction. This has nothing to do with accepting or rejecting a message but it has everything to do with the way in which that message is presented.

If I expect anyone to make lifestyle changes, I need to first lead by example. Unless I can show that the changes are possible and that they can be made without sacrificing the most important quality of life issues, my message, no matter how important, will be perceived as empty words.
Old 02-08-08, 12:30 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a lie that you can't protect the environment and have a good economy. I would actually say that destroying the environment is a sign that you don't have wise leaders (I am a USA citizen by the way) and that business is short sighted. What you have is a situation where people aren't calculating the full cost of goods and services - so they leave the damage and the ***** resources for the people to deal with.

Which is like me coming into your home and taking all your stuff and having a garage sale with it and thinking, "Wow, that was easy". Then when the cops come and tell me I am breaking the law, I whine, "But, then I won't make any money!"

You aren't making money when you destroy a public resource (i.e. the world) - are you are doing is robbing future generations.
To paraphrase certain other message-board posts: Jeez, if you hate america so much, why don't you just leave?! (just kidding)
Old 02-10-08, 01:14 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The whole argument is So last century. Contemporary environmentalists are constantly stressing that a switch to sustainability does not have to mean a reduction in quality of life. The issue is completely outdated and irrelevant.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-10-08, 06:37 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
The whole argument is So last century. Contemporary environmentalists are constantly stressing that a switch to sustainability does not have to mean a reduction in quality of life. The issue is completely outdated and irrelevant.
I think this sentiment is driven by groups who define "quality of life" a little differently than most people here. There seems to be a whole segment of society whose chief characteristic is fear of change.
Old 02-10-08, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Contemporary environmentalists are constantly stressing that a switch to sustainability does not have to mean a reduction in quality of life. The issue is completely outdated and irrelevant.
Moving to sustainability will affect our lifestyles. We've been told it's important to recycle, compost and generate less waste. But we've also been told to cut fuel consumption, cut electrical power consumption, use less water and live in smaller, more efficient homes in an effort to become sustainable. Many of the changes, at least the way they've been presented to us, demand much but offer little in exchange. This is why it's so important to show people — not just to tell them — how one can enjoy a good quality of life while practicing a responsible lifestyle.
Old 02-10-08, 11:16 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with you on many issues, but not this one. Well, maybe I do. It depends on your definition of "quality of life." If you believe that your quality of life depends on a high level of consumption (big car, bigger house, lots of miles driven, a back seat full of Starbucks cups and fast-food waste, and a closet full of stuff you never use), you're going to have to make some changes in the near future, whether you want to or not, it doesn't matter what Greenpeace says. You can't argue with math. If you define a high quality of life as one that includes decent housing, clean water, adequate food, clothing, and a decent amount of leisure for all, then yes, it's reasonable for environmentalists to hope for these things. Anyone who thinks we can continue to live like well-off, or even "middle class," residents of Atlanta or Houston is dreaming.

(I'm not picking on residents of these cities. I've just noticed that a lot of people in these two areas seem to have big houses and drive SUVs almost without exception, and as a result make perfect examples of the so-called American Way of Life, that's all..)
Old 02-13-08, 01:40 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I agree with you on many issues, but not this one. Well, maybe I do. It depends on your definition of "quality of life." If you believe that your quality of life depends on a high level of consumption (big car, bigger house, lots of miles driven, a back seat full of Starbucks cups and fast-food waste, and a closet full of stuff you never use), you're going to have to make some changes in the near future, whether you want to or not, it doesn't matter what Greenpeace says. You can't argue with math. If you define a high quality of life as one that includes decent housing, clean water, adequate food, clothing, and a decent amount of leisure for all, then yes, it's reasonable for environmentalists to hope for these things. Anyone who thinks we can continue to live like well-off, or even "middle class," residents of Atlanta or Houston is dreaming.

(I'm not picking on residents of these cities. I've just noticed that a lot of people in these two areas seem to have big houses and drive SUVs almost without exception, and as a result make perfect examples of the so-called American Way of Life, that's all
..)
Yes, i agree. "Quality of life" is a complex issue. Many people in the richer countries are starting to realize that the consumer economy is not delivering everything that it promised. Life seems so shallow for most people, and sustainability is clearly the next big life-or-death issue. It is very possible that we will be able to sustain comfortable lives (good food, nice homes, convenient transportation) while at the same time making improvements in our relationships with nature and each other. The best discussion of these issues that I know of is the book Deep Economy by Bill McKibben.

Deep Economy makes the compelling case for moving beyond “growth” as the paramount economic ideal and pursuing prosperity in a more local direction, with regions producing more of their own food, generating more of their own energy, and even creating more of their own culture and entertainment. Our purchases need not be at odds with the things we truly value, McKibben argues, and the more we nurture the essential humanity of our economy, the more we will recapture our own

"Think Outside the Cage"