Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Bike Requirement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 08:54 PM

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
What is your reasoning for wanting to go with the Ultegra crank in the first place?
Coming from a road background and this being my first gravel/road bike I guess it's more of a security based decision than anything else. I fear that the 48/11 ratio won't be enough. Even if it's not, I will still have a road bike so I may just bite the bullet and go full gravel on this one (ie GRX crankset). Still not 100% decided either way.
Old 01-27-20, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
Coming from a road background and this being my first gravel/road bike I guess it's more of a security based decision than anything else. I fear that the 48/11 ratio won't be enough. Even if it's not, I will still have a road bike so I may just bite the bullet and go full gravel on this one (ie GRX crankset). Still not 100% decided either way.
I had the same fear, when I as deciding on my groupset as well. On the road, a 50/34 is barely enough for me, so I thought that there was no way a 48 would be enough...but, so far, it has been. The speeds are drastically slower on a gravel bike, so the higher gearing really isn't needed. I say, unless you are planning to run (legit) road tires on your new bike, and/or do a lot of lengthy descending (and like to cruse at 40mph+), the 48 should be enough.

Same goes for the 31...I thought that it would be way too low, but it came in handy on a couple of climbs, already
Likes For melikebikey35: