Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cell-talking cager gets arm removed during crash

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cell-talking cager gets arm removed during crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Yeah, she could have been text messaging...
Or maybe some zealot in their Prius, seeing their "Enemy" cell-phone-talker-in-an-SUV, went blind with rage, swerved into her lane and threatening to hit her, causing her to react by steering away and therefore skidding out of control.
Old 02-22-06, 05:33 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalQuirk
Sad, really. Especially when we don't know the full story; people assume it must be the fact that she was using a cell phone and driving at the same time, only because it fits their dogma.
Well at any rate, she was apparently clutching at the time of the accident as the news report says the phone was still in the hand... so certainly she was doing something with it. No assumption required.
Old 02-22-06, 05:37 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or maybe some zealot in their Prius, seeing their "Enemy" cell-phone-talker-in-an-SUV, went blind with rage, swerved into her lane and threatening to hit her, causing her to react by steering away and therefore skidding out of control.
Are you a "Creation Scientist?" You seem to want to complicate a fairly simple set of events with incredibly wild speculation. Your obtuseness is noted, I just don't agree with you.
Old 02-22-06, 06:44 PM
demon speeder

Bikes: commuter: Kona Fire Mountain Road: Mongoose Pro Bosberg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a cell phone while driving.
Old 02-22-06, 06:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Are you a "Creation Scientist?" You seem to want to complicate a fairly simple set of events with incredibly wild speculation. Your obtuseness is noted, I just don't agree with you.
I find the term "Creation Scientist" to be a contradiction of terms (along the lines of "Military Intelligence"). The answer is no; now may I ask you, are you a fecalfeliac?

Most of what I've been reading here has been "Wild Speculation." My speculation just happens to be a bit wilder, just for fun.
Old 02-22-06, 07:49 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I got a pretty good chastising on this, now time for my take on it:

A car is a piece of heavy machinery, and one of the fastest forms of heavy machinery.

Like all machinery, the user of this machinery should be operating it in a safe and responsible manner.

There is a fun thing about power steering....it's too easy to oversteer, especially when only using one hand to control it. This is the reason why the "two hands on the wheel" rule taught since Driver's ed was advocated so much. In this case, only having one hand capable of fully gripping the wheel more than likely contributed to the accident.

If I knew the stretch of road, and how the thing suddenly shot into a median...I might be able to say more....however we have seen neglect of safety, and possibly very bad driving skills.

I know we all have our driving snafus....but with a child in the car? You would htink she would be doing her best for the safety of her child, would you not?

Really, unless there was some kind of chase (which again is bad form if she doesn't know how to drive fast safely...in which case it would actually endager them even more so), then there really was no excuse.

Cell phones are a convenience, and if operating a machine is involved, that machine should take precidence over conveniences. I should know, thanks to both hands on the wheel, and giving the road my full attention, I have avoided some outright ugly situations.

Yes, it may be wrong of me for starting this thread, or at the least wording it as badly as I did, but I still stand behind the concept of "a place and time for everything". In this case, it seemed to be the right time for that extra hand on the wheel...maybe she could have gotten the vehicle under control that way....maybe not...but at least she would have known that she gave it her 100%.
Old 02-22-06, 08:32 PM
Drive the Bicycle.

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
--- The news item says:
"Her arm was found near the accident still clutching a cell phone."
I do believe this poor woman suffered a traumatic amputation, but I do not believe the cell phone could still have remained clutched in the hand. An URBAN LEGEND in the making.
"The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well." Ivan Illich ('Energy and Equity')1974
Old 02-22-06, 09:12 PM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soda
I use a cell phone while driving.
I commute by bicycle. You win, bro.
Old 02-22-06, 11:03 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I heard about this guy watching TV on his barcalounger when a meteor comes crashing through the roof. After the dust cleared, they found his severed arm still clutching the remote control...
Old 02-23-06, 12:05 AM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
So I heard about this guy watching TV on his barcalounger when a meteor comes crashing through the roof. After the dust cleared, they found his severed arm still clutching the remote control...
If the Star Wars movies have taught us anything it's that a severed hand will remain clutching whatever it was holding prior to being cut off.
Old 02-23-06, 12:10 AM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So, some mischevious kids came upon a severed arm, and decided to put a cellie in it's hand as a joke?
Old 02-23-06, 06:13 AM
demon speeder

Bikes: commuter: Kona Fire Mountain Road: Mongoose Pro Bosberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute by bike also. I'll answer the phone too if I can make it a quick call.
Old 02-23-06, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
If the Star Wars movies have taught us anything it's that a severed hand will remain clutching whatever it was holding prior to being cut off.

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 02-23-06, 12:34 PM
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid cager. Get off the damn phone and drive.
Old 02-23-06, 01:17 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scarry
Stupid cager. Get off the damn phone and drive.

Close the thread, Scarry has once again solved the problem.

Good going Scarry !!
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 02-23-06, 01:23 PM
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you saying? That there are no valid criticisms of cars, and car use in our society?
Anyone who dares criticize cars is an anti-car fanatic?

Get your head out of the sand and smell the exhaust. It's not just cyclists who are concerned about this subject.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Equally true when the poster uses the term "cager" in the body of the message. Guaranteed to be an anti-car drivel meister posing as a bicycling advocate.
Old 02-27-06, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a bit surprised that none of the BF photo-artists have photo-shopped the severed arm, lying in the roadway, clenching a cell phone. This image would definitely be worth a thousand words.
Old 02-27-06, 03:41 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
You and your boyfriend are apparently incapable of distinguishing between news reported by a news organization and an urban myth relayed to you over drinks by a friend who knows somebody who knows somebody. Pity. The difference is obvious.
Old 02-27-06, 06:06 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the difference is obvious. But so is the similiarity, no?
Old 02-27-06, 06:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I'll agree with you that the severed arm clutching a cell phone sounds just like an urban myth. It just seemed from your previous posts that you actually believed this was an urban myth.

If this were a scene in a movie, or an urban myth, I'd find it amusing. Given the circumstances, it's just sad.
Old 02-27-06, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just another reason to get the hell out of the way when you see a suv/4wd coming, you dont know where they are gonna go
Old 02-27-06, 07:34 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkott3r
just another reason to get the hell out of the way when you see a suv/4wd coming, you dont know where they are gonna go
This is not exclusive to SUVs/4WD. One could make the same argument for any vehicle... including bikes. And many a pedestrian as well as motorists have.
Old 02-28-06, 12:35 AM
Immoderator

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
I am a bit surprised that none of the BF photo-artists have photo-shopped the severed arm, lying in the roadway, clenching a cell phone. This image would definitely be worth a thousand words.
We should make this thread a photoshop competition!
Old 02-28-06, 04:12 AM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read some of the responses in this thread, and I am reminded of the media reports of some Palestinians and Egyptians dancing and celebrating in the streets after the planes took down the World Trade Centers in New York. I suppose zealots are all the same in that their cause comes before people, and they wait for opportunities like this to validate their beliefs. They (the zealots) have made this woman their enemy without actually knowing the person. Sad, really.

Woa, woa.... Wait a minute. Not to put this into too much of a political discussion, because there are other places for that, but I read every single entry in this entire thread and, DigitalQuirk, I read your reply about 4 times so far. Each time, I keep thinking "What?!". I don't know you, and I won't make any assumptions about you - but have you traveled? Have you lived outside of the United States? Or, let me be more to the point: do you have any experiences of living in a country that is being manipulated by the United States?
When 9/11 happened I was in shock like most other people in this country, and I felt sorry for those that were lost in the WTC/flights and the other flight of that day but when I saw the cliché response that the US news media threw up on the screens of "zealots" dancing in the streets, I also knew exactly why they were so elated and could very clearly see their side of the issue at hand. I also realize (as I hope you do, too, DigitalQuirk) that what the US news media or most media around the world put up for the public is a cliché answer to further propogate a stance. It's like only interviewing the 'nutcases' and 'conspiracy theorists' at an Anti-War protest when those people do not represent the others who are protesting along side them. How would you feel if the representation of bicyclists in the news media that was spread across the AP network feeds was of a homeless guy riding in a thong on a rusty old huffy while screaming about how people in cars are going to hell? Ah, so the 'zealot' vehicle drivers get their cliché candy, too.

My point is that by claiming some people to be 'zealots' and making a comparison to the incidences of '9/11' you are perpetuating the same lack of perspective and understanding that your 'zealots' are doing. We all need to take into account all sides of a story AND all PERSPECTIVES of a story. Some people will always find something funny, some people will find the same thing shocking and tragic. It's the dynamics of life. Understand them and accept them for what they are. The more enlightened you become to it's hypocracies, the more you'll be able to laugh at anything while simultaneously having loving kindness, sympathy and compassion.

As a driver, I found the story tragic and as a cyclist I found the story ironic, like some "poetic" action that would occur in the closing credits of a Monty Python's Flying Circus episode. It's a dry and quick humor that is understood when one recognizes the screwed up nature of life and how hypocritical, strange, and dynamic this life is. All my practices of Buddhism did not prevent me from sighing out with a little "Ah, a lesson learned the hard way" and a slight laugh. Heck, I can guarantee that the most enlightened of teachers and gurus would even recognize the irony... Some would even give a chortle.

Last edited by prendrefeu; 02-28-06 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-28-06, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7500 Multitrack, 1985 Roadmaster Pro Tour

Liked 28 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I feel bad for the child.

Koffee
Took the words right out of my mouth. However you have to wonder how traumatized the child might be after this. The poor kid will probably be in therapy for years. Plus loosing an arm is a hefty price for stupidity; though the woman is lucky she did not kill herself and her kid. Imagine the poor father/husband.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.