Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Nice bell

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
The right one to ask is the pedestrians. "Would you move away if you hear this sound?"
I'd rather they turn to see where I am and then react accordingly.
Old 03-20-16, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
It is pretty attractive. I saw another bell on Kickstarter recently.

I I also have the spur cycle. Ordered not long after the Kickstarter. The pric went up a ton after I purchased. $15 more if I recall correctly. Now it feels too pricey.
Old 03-21-16, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
It is pretty attractive. I saw another bell on Kickstarter recently.

I I also have the spur cycle. Ordered not long after the Kickstarter. The pric went up a ton after I purchased. $15 more if I recall correctly. Now it feels too pricey.
Yeah, I asked them about that 25% price increase and I got the reply below. I am still scratching my head a little though about the implication of the cost of the hours spent on design and production as outlined. Isn't that what the Kickstarter funds were for? I pursued the response below and said that I would of thought that costs would go down as production increased and was told that all was not as it seemed, and as a graduate of business school and having run several small businesses, the person knew what he was doing. I wish them the best, but IMHO they have crossed a line in terms of price.

We did increase the price of our bells last October, but not because we're getting greedy. We did it simply to allow us enough margin to sell to bike shops as a more significant portion of our business. As we've interacted with customers over the last couple years, we've decided we want to be able to direct more to a local shop to experience Spurcycle product in-person (or to do last minute gift shopping and avoid expedited shipping). To do this meant increasing our retail prices so we could give shops the pricing they need without being squeezed out of any profitability for all the hours we put into design and production. However, the effective increase in price was only $2 for customers ordering a bell from spurcycle.com, because we stopped charging $8 for shipping. Now all domestic orders ship for free. We knew we'd lose some customers with the price change (some of them buying from local shops), but we were also struggling to keep up with demand so the net effect has been a good one.

We're working on some new designs that reduce the part count and thus reduce our cost to manufacture without compromising quality or functionality. Hopefully we'll be able to bring bells to market next year that will be less expensive for customers but still allow us (and our shops) to pay the bills. We're "normal guys" and aren't trying to build exclusive product, but doing thing the way we do does cost appreciably more than sourcing mass product from Asia. We're happy that our brand resonates with so many but of course understand that we won't win everyone's heart. We'll keep doing what we do, pushing hard to deliver both quality and appropriate pricing. More to come!
Old 03-23-16, 03:04 AM

Bikes: 1993 Klein quantum, 1999 Fondriest spur, 1988 Paconi 653, 2006 Cannondale Rush, 2013 Spec Carve, 1992 Repco Superlight 2 speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Post virgin. be gentle with me. I have pledged to buy two of the OI bells, purely because the state police her in NSW have been booking cyclists $106 for not having a warning device on their bikes. Thankfully the OI looks great. I agree that Knog as an established company shouldn't be using Kickstarter for this good looking product.