Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

$2500 range ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

$2500 range ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$2500 range ?

Long time biker. New to the forums. Also new to the myriad choices we have for touring bikes. I went shopping this weekend and test rode a Fuji Touring, Trek 530, Surly LHT, DT, and CC, and Co-Motion Cascadia and Americano. I'm not really a component nerd and to tell the truth, did not think I could tell the difference between mid-range and top-end components. Wow was I wrong: the Co-Motions were sweet! Problem is, I'm not sure I want to plunk down $4K for a bike. $3K, sure. $4K, hmmm, not so sure. On the other hand, I saw nothing between the $1500 and $3800 while shopping, or during a couple hours long web search. Are there no production touring bikes in that range? Please name some for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-13, 07:39 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Touring isn't my thing, but Kona Sutra can be had for $1500. Raleigh has 3 (4 counting mixte) models that they consider 'Touring/Commuters' which will likely fall somewhere in that price range.

However, before proceeding to much further with make/model suggestions, perhaps you should evaluate and state what type of touring interests you?
Old 06-18-13, 07:50 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 2,079 Posts
You could build up a gunnar touring frameset; they're pretty sweet. Also I'd check out Bruce Gordon touring bikes.
Old 06-18-13, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DandyDave, Welcome to the forum.

Did you mean Trek 520? The 530 is a mountain bike. Anyway, there is no real need to spend more than two grand on a complete touring bike plus gear so there isn't many, if any, off the shelf bikes in the range you referred to. There are some really nice bits and bobs that a frame set (OtR or custom) can be built with that can easily fill the 2K-4K price range.

Brad
Old 06-18-13, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit if First. Unless your physical dimensions are very close to industry standards for a stock touring bike, a custom build is the way to achieve perfection. If that's what you're after and can afford it. Justified for a bike you may pedal 5-7 hours/day, day after day when touring.

OTOH, $1500 will get you a good stock touring bike with reliable components. The fit can be tweeked to acceptable.

Components, easily replaced, are much less important than proper fit.
Old 06-18-13, 08:48 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Build a LHT with a Rohloff Speedhub, $2,500-3,000.
Old 06-18-13, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thorn Club Tour is worth a look:

https://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/Th...urBroLoRes.pdf
Old 06-18-13, 10:39 PM

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DandyDave
On the other hand, I saw nothing between the $1500 and $3800 while shopping, or during a couple hours long web search. Are there no production touring bikes in that range? Please name some for me. Thanks in advance.
Bilenky Midlands (full custom) sample build is $3,700.
Bruce Gordon Rock-n-Road $2999.00
or, build up an LHT frame with great components
Old 06-19-13, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 562 Posts
Not really an answer, but something to consider...

I can't relate to this question. I spent less than $2500 for my heavy touring bike (new) and all expenses for a Trans America including airfare. The three bikes I have toured on combined didn't cost that much. The bikes performed admirably and when I think about my tours the bikes themselves don't really come up much. Touring is more about people, places, and food than about the bikes themselves, at least that is the case for me. I think that is as it should be

I am not saying that you shouldn't buy what makes you happy, but I would recommend considering the following. If the budget means choosing between doing a nice long tour and spending a bundle on a bike and doing a week end tour here and there, I recommend an inexpensive bike and a multi month tour. If you can do both so much the better.
Old 06-19-13, 10:33 AM
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bruce Gordon RNR- I am not unbiased after almost 25 years on mine.
Old 06-19-13, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not really an answer, but something to consider...

I can't relate to this question. I spent less than $2500 for my heavy touring bike (new) and all expenses for a Trans America including airfare. The three bikes I have toured on combined didn't cost that much. The bikes performed admirably and when I think about my tours the bikes themselves don't really come up much. Touring is more about people, places, and food than about the bikes themselves, at least that is the case for me. I think that is as it should be

I am not saying that you shouldn't buy what makes you happy, but I would recommend considering the following. If the budget means choosing between doing a nice long tour and spending a bundle on a bike and doing a week end tour here and there, I recommend an inexpensive bike and a multi month tour. If you can do both so much the better.
I concur. I have been researching touring bikes for the last several months, comparing components, rim brakes or disc, Rohloff or derailer, yadda yadda. It's not how much you spend on the bike. I can certainly afford the Americano with the co-pilot pkg, Rohloff hub, and pathfinder pkg. ALL the whistle and bells. But in the end, it's a bike. Plain and simple. The Disc LHT at $1500 will accomplish the same mission - get me from one side of the country to the other for thousands less. Ask yourself WHY you want to tour. If its to showcase your bike then drop the coin. If its for all the other reasons that we go on tours for, then keep it in perspective and have fun meeting new people, seeing new places, camping-the good stuff! Cheers, and ride safe!
Old 06-19-13, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
I concur. I have been researching touring bikes for the last several months, comparing components, rim brakes or disc, Rohloff or derailer, yadda yadda. It's not how much you spend on the bike. I can certainly afford the Americano with the co-pilot pkg, Rohloff hub, and pathfinder pkg. ALL the whistle and bells. But in the end, it's a bike. Plain and simple. The Disc LHT at $1500 will accomplish the same mission - get me from one side of the country to the other for thousands less. Ask yourself WHY you want to tour. If its to showcase your bike then drop the coin. If its for all the other reasons that we go on tours for, then keep it in perspective and have fun meeting new people, seeing new places, camping-the good stuff! Cheers, and ride safe!
I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

Another thing to consider is that you need to worry a lot less about theft and damage when you are riding $600 bike vs a $4000 bike. There is something to be said for having gear you can afford to replace on the spur of the moment if necessary. That said even though I could afford much more expensive stuff than I own, I don't see enough advantage to justify it.

Again, I am not suggesting that others should all do as I do, just giving another perspective on the issue.
Old 06-19-13, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Hi,

You didn't say how tall you are. I have a brand new, beautifully lugged road touring bike on closeout for $2400 (at www.ravellobikes.com , on the closeout page).
Old 06-19-13, 10:18 PM

Bikes: Tout Terrain Rohloff/Gates Metropolitan; Felt Footprint; Bianchi JAB 29.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a touring bike with an integrated rack, try the German Tout Terrain Silkroad: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp ($1,150 for the frame).

I have a Tout Terrain bike and find the integrated rack wonderful. No wobble, shimmy or ... anything, really. Extremely solid ride.
Old 06-20-13, 06:56 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
LS and staehpj1, I have built some more-expensive-than-needed-to-be roadies, so I understand the OP's question. I built my first tourer rather low to mid level and if I liked the concept I just knew I would upscale the build. Well, more than a couple of years have passed and I have really taken to using this bike for pretty much everything cycling related. Surprising myself, I just don't see the need nor do I have the desire to "improve" anything on it. I think that I could drop about 1.5 lbs. easily with upgraded part$ while keeping the reliability high, but crunching the numbers when combining the weight of the rider and gear to the bicycle's weight, it's an insignificant improvement.

This idea of building low end has spilled over to one of the project bikes I have. I found it odd that sourcing more or less period correct lower tier group parts to be harder to find and about the same price as higher end parts...go figure.

Brad
Old 06-20-13, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
If a prettier lugged frame is an option you can look at Rivendell. They have the Hillborne which falls right in the price range and is good for any kind or riding except racing.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2254.JPG (43.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-20-13, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have the racks and pannier to go with the touring? If nothing is between 1500 and 3000, and you don't have panniers, etc etc, maybe get something in the 1500 range and use the rest for the gear you'll need?
Old 06-20-13, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty unlikely you need a bike fancier than a LHT or other production touring bike, unless your body dimensions are very strange, or something like that. Even for trekking across Africa or Asia I'd just go with a Surly Troll rather than a fancier option.

I'm with the folks that say get a less expensive touring bike, and save the rest of the money - for your tour, for your retirement, whatever.
Old 06-20-13, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Brad, the OP did ask for a "production bike". That to me meant that he didn't want to order/source a frame and then spend the time and energy sourcing out different components for a custom build. Outta the box, done! Simplicity. Cents makes Sense.
Old 06-20-13, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma Saga:

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/saga
Old 06-20-13, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DandyDave
. I'm not really a component nerd and to tell the truth, did not think I could tell the difference between mid-range and top-end components. Wow was I wrong: the Co-Motions were sweet!
It's not clear what characteristics define sweetness foryou but it's quite likely the more expensive bikes were tuned properly because there isn't much sweet about an unloaded touring bike.
Old 06-20-13, 12:29 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Brad, the OP did ask for a "production bike". That to me meant that he didn't want to order/source a frame and then spend the time and energy sourcing out different components for a custom build. Outta the box, done! Simplicity. Cents makes Sense.
True, but we all have strayed somewhat from the intent of this thread, eh?

Brad
Old 06-20-13, 10:10 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
eh!
Old 06-21-13, 08:30 PM

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy cow. I commend you on your self-discipline. If I could get that close to an Americano with the budget, it would be a slam dunk for me.
Old 06-22-13, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Your knowledge and help are appreciated.

Originally Posted by reed523
Holy cow. I commend you on your self-discipline. If I could get that close to an Americano with the budget, it would be a slam dunk for me.
During my not so short test rides (I rode an Americano about 10 minutes, and the LHT about 30), the LHT and Co-Motions fit equally well. I could tell a difference in the quality of the drive train between the Co-Motions and the others. Shifting was much smoother. As for individual components (wheels, hubs, brakes, tires, etc.), I do not know how to judge them on a quick test ride. Like I said, I'm don't keep up with component rankings. The best I can do is google, and see that DT540's cost 10x more than Shimano LX ($600 for the pair. Pow!), and the derailleurs cost about 2x, and the shifters about 3x, etx. In retrospect, after comparing component prices, I guess my biggest point of confusion is the difference in frame costs: $2000 v $500. I read nothing but positive reviews of both. What makes an Americano worth 3 LHTs, and the frame alone worth 4x?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.