Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubular tires vs. clincher tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubular tires vs. clincher tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Is anybody using https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna/ ?
Old 02-25-19, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
... a bottle of Stans and CO2 could last you a few years. My spoiled son carries no spares. As a junior I rescued him a few times in several years.
I put caffelatex sealant in tubs and usually ride with no spare, but with a caffelatex espresso co2 + sealant cannister
When I did some 80 or 100+ mile events I brought a spare, for good luck.
Used the caffelatex espresso with success once after hitting a rock hard on a fast downhill, which caused a slow leak.
I did have to call for a flat tub once or twice, before I used the sealant as preventive
Old 02-25-19, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
The tape is really good, I used it on a set of Easton ec90 55 rims with 25mm vittoria. When I had to pull a tire to true a rim (internal spoke nipples), it was easy enough to remove, then retape with new tape and ride the next day. The tape makes it easier to center the tire, you can get it lined up just right then remove the plastic inner layer. centering on glue is much harder

The tape is just over 1mm thick and super sticky, I would think the best application would be cyclocross, it seems overkill for road. It's also heavier than glue in terms of grams added, glue barely adds any weight.
I would like to see them come out with a thinner lighter version for road and keep the thick for cx
My current wheels, are all glued, but if I make one set a winter/rain set I would use tape just so I could swap tires faster
Old 02-25-19, 12:41 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by beatlebee
@Psimet2001: what tubulars are you recommending these days for your racers? I have been on veloflex for a while now.
All over the place really but I start with Vittoria Corsa or Donnelley LGG. Veloflex - i always loved them but had no source but as of last week I now do. Super light weight though and not daily riders for most of the ones i would be interested in.

For daily riding and racing - Donnelley and Maxxis.

Before anyone jumps in - no on Continental. They're just too dead riding to be worth it. There's a reason to ride tubulars and Continental murders that reason. Might as well ride clinchers at that point.

Old 02-25-19, 12:49 PM
I eat carbide.

In general I'm getting to the point where I don't feel the need to try and convince riders to ride on tubulars. If they stick with it long enough they will eventually try it and will either love it or not care.

When it comes to cyclocross though....there's no debate. There are people and companies that want to try and debate it but really it boils down to even on the best day on the best rider with the best technology in rim and tire - tubeless will only ever achieve a status that is "as good" as tubular....and there's a lot of if's in there. A few pros are doing well on tubeless setups now and everyone wants to use this as justification for why tubeless is now "OK" for racing when in reality they are pros on factory tubeless sponsored teams. Most of them would not choose tubeless and don't really like that they are on it. Those that actually do like it are actually doing well "despite" racing on tubeless. Not because they are on tubeless. It's a distinct difference that a lot of people don't see because they want to follow their narrative.

I always go back to Syn Nys who said in one of our local events, "I start at 1 bar of pressure. I adjust from there to suit the course after riding it." That's 13.4 psig guys. It's done to get sidewall and tread compliance. You can't do that on tubeless. You especially can't do it on tubeless and get the same sidewall compliance.

Old 02-25-19, 12:50 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,881 Times in 3,169 Posts
Trained and raced on tubulars from 1975-1985. Why? Because keeping up on the clinchers of the day was simply impossible, especially for a weakling such as I. We all rode with a spare, two on a long ride, and just took it easy on the corners if we had to use one. I rolled one more than once—fortunately on the rear. The glue was the worst thing about them and the sewing was a bit laborious. Doctrine where I was at the time specified some nasty, black 3M product designed for fastening weatherstripping. Terrible to remove.

I just went to tubeless tires and the slight improvement in feel and adhesion made me miss tubulars.
Old 02-25-19, 01:31 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,568 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
All over the place really but I start with Vittoria Corsa or Donnelley LGG. Veloflex - i always loved them but had no source but as of last week I now do. Super light weight though and not daily riders for most of the ones i would be interested in.

Before anyone jumps in - no on Continental. They're just too dead riding to be worth it. There's a reason to ride tubulars and Continental murders that reason. Might as well ride clinchers at that point.
I just went to the Vittoria website and looked at their tubulars. The 28c Corsa Competition Race look a lot like the Clement Paris-Roubaix BITD. I"m drooling. Unfortunately I just put a roof on my house, so I have to suffer through the open Corsa G+ tires I have now. I like that the G+ is on their tubulars too. Not surprised at all. I have no idea what the "magic" of the G+ is, but the G+ is a game changer. Better combination of great rolling, great grip, long wear and fewer punctures than IO have ever seen in my 50 years of riding. (Yes, I have ridden tires that could better the G+ - at one of those 4 aspects, but not match them at 2, 3 or 4 of them. Open Paves out grip the G+ in the wet - at the expense of everything else.)

Psimet, I love your posts. Level headed and real by someone completely involved in bikes at a high level. I've been away from the cutting edge a long time and was only in the racing scene 3 years, but it was my life. I lived and raced very close to the best, highest level this body was capable of (and knew full well that across the pond, I never would have been anybody. Had I not had my accident and raced to my very best, I'd could have been a decent Cat II with serious 3-week tour capabilities - in those fictional Cat II Grand Tours. Polka-dotted jersey maybe?)

Ben
Old 02-25-19, 02:40 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Rode the tubular HED 3c at lunch, it's on a 21mm. The disc wheel is also. By any measure, that all carbon zero spokes front wheel on a 21mm tire should be really harsh.

Seriously felt about the same at proper pressure as a 23mm clincher on the road bike.

A lot smoother roll than I assumed. Even based on the hype about tubs. It was pretty good.

Can't imagine how nice a 23mm tub would feel.
Old 02-25-19, 03:57 PM

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TGlide
Can anyone tell me the benefits/ differences between tubular tires vs. my current clincher tires? I have been planning to get back into road cycling after a period reduces cycling on an 11 year old bike.
TLDR: If you are not a professional road racer that has a team car following you: tubulars are too cumbersome to deal with. Stick with clinchers.

Note that tubeless is not the same as tubular. Tubular = cylindrical tire glued to the rim.
Tubeless = similar to clincher, but without inner rubber tube, and using a liquid sealant instead.
Old 02-25-19, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Gosh, have you ridden tubulars? I had them on a bike I owned from 1972 to 2010 and didn't find them cumbersome at all. Yes, the glue isn't fun, but that can be handled with a bike shop. Road replacement isn't a problem, and tools aren't necessary.

I will definitely consider tubulars when it's time to replace my wheels.

Originally Posted by maartendc
TLDR: If you are not a professional road racer that has a team car following you: tubulars are too cumbersome to deal with. Stick with clinchers.

Note that tubeless is not the same as tubular. Tubular = cylindrical tire glued to the rim.
Tubeless = similar to clincher, but without inner rubber tube, and using a liquid sealant instead.
Old 02-25-19, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts

This is one of the uninformed comments I was referring to. I can change a tubular on the road just as quickly as anyone changing a clincher. I don’t need a team car behind me. As a prior comment noted many people have good luck with sealant. I don’t mind carrying a spare tubular. Has never bothered me.
Old 02-25-19, 06:20 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Pros only use Clinchers when their funding Sponsor requires it..
Old 02-25-19, 07:06 PM
I eat carbide.

*facepalm*

In the modern era many of the tubulars we use are tubeless tubulars. Tubulars that have no inner-tube meaning you can run sealant.

Old 02-25-19, 07:16 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,568 Posts
*facepalm*

In the modern era many of the tubulars we use are tubeless tubulars. Tubulars that have no inner-tube meaning you can run sealant.
(Like fix gears are dangerous because they don't have brakes. Funny, mine have always had brake levers, cables and calipers that went hooked up and very good at stopping the bike. But I still get told my bikes are dangerous.)
Old 02-26-19, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I ride part of the time on Sprinters. They are not the most lively, but they grip fine and sure do last. In the mileage that has Corsas cut up & stuggling to hold air,

the Sprinters barely have a nick.
Old 02-26-19, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
So I have a question for you tubular guys. Do people still ride silk sew-ups? I used to ride them in the late '70s to early '80s. Though delicate, they never flatted on the road. They had this most amazing sound, like the wind was running right through them. At the time, they cost an ungodly $30/tire. The inner tubes were latex and were difficult to repair, but they last a long time.

Last edited by Robert A; 02-26-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
*facepalm*

I thought you could use sealant in any tubulars? I now a lot of the cross guys use sealants in challenges with the latex tubes
Old 02-26-19, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Tubulars are cycling's record player.
Some appreciate the quirks, nuance and rituals but most just want and need a mp3 and some ear buds.

Also, I love watching beginner glue jobs try to corner hard.
Old 02-26-19, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Uh oh. I've been putting sealant in my old fashioned tubed tubulars. Imma gonna die!
Old 02-26-19, 04:01 PM
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by redlude97
I thought you could use sealant in any tubulars? I now a lot of the cross guys use sealants in challenges with the latex tubes
You can definitely put sealant in tubulars with tubes but it definitely doesn't work as well at stopping flats as it does on tubeless tubulars. We stopped running sealant in any Challenge tubulars for cross a few years back. It's almost never works for us and the price for new ones, etc seems to be cost effective for most riders. YMMV

Originally Posted by caloso
Uh oh. I've been putting sealant in my old fashioned tubed tubulars. Imma gonna die!
Yup. Pretty sure you're right.

Old 02-26-19, 04:49 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,418 Times in 1,944 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
So I have a question for you tubular guys. Do people still ride silk sew-ups? I used to ride them in the late '70s to early '80s. Though delicate, they never flatted on the road. They had this most amazing sound, like the wind was running right through them. At the time, they cost an ungodly $30/tire. The inner tubes were latex and were difficult to repair, but they last a long time.
I used to when I worked for Trek and could buy them at a relatively low price (OEM plus 10%). But it has been many years since I've been able to justify the expense of buying them at retail.

Old 02-26-19, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You can definitely put sealant in tubulars with tubes but it definitely doesn't work as well at stopping flats as it does on tubeless tubulars. We stopped running sealant in any Challenge tubulars for cross a few years back. It's almost never works for us and the price for new ones, etc seems to be cost effective for most riders. YMMV

Yup. Pretty sure you're right.
It worked pretty well at fixing a slow leak. On the other hand, it totally gummed up a valve, so there's that too.
Old 02-26-19, 06:04 PM
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by caloso
It worked pretty well at fixing a slow leak. On the other hand, it totally gummed up a valve, so there's that too.
Replaceable valves. That and a paperclip will clear any sealant jam but it will always be a pita to do quick pressure changes when that's in the system/

Old 02-26-19, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've had some trouble, especially w/ used wheels/tires that already had sealant,

with the latex tube gluing to itself with the sealant and then blowing out on inflation.

So I carry a little bottle of Stan's but don't use it unless needed.
Old 02-27-19, 02:12 AM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts

Depends what the roads are like - and what is on those roads.
Those CX arguments are still true for other disciplines. For most singles of moderate mass, any will do. But add rough roads or a lot of weight and back to tubulars winning.
As I mentioned above (I think) - that is why they go on the tandem.
They are only primarily inconvenient as compared with tubeless, or tubulars, and in some cases don't seat as well which I debate about is super smooth TTs or track. For everything else they are superior. In cost:weight ratio they win too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.