Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What saddle do you use?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What saddle do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, 74 Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
I have always used a B17 or Champion Flyer but most recently purchased a Cardiff Mercia because I wanted a little more setback and it provides another cm compared to a B17. I got to say it's a work of art and I almost feel like I should place it on my fireplace mantle (that is if I had one). It measures the same as a B17 and the leather feels thicker. The copper colored rails also look nice. Its pre-drilled and laced for any sag that will develop and is also chamfered like a B17 Special.
Hey I use a Cardiff too. It's my first leather saddle and after a lot of reading around on these forums I've seen a lot of comments that it's inferior to a Brooks. What do you say to that seeing as how you love it so much?
Old 12-14-09, 01:16 AM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear cub
Hey I use a Cardiff too. It's my first leather saddle and after a lot of reading around on these forums I've seen a lot of comments that it's inferior to a Brooks. What do you say to that seeing as how you love it so much?
I think it has a lot to do with what you're exposed to first. I've always known about Brooks and Ideale saddles; however, I never heard of Cardiff until last year. I suppose if I would've heard of Cardiff first I might be more brand loyal towards them; however, every Brooks saddle I've come across have always been first rate. To my line of thinking why mess with success? I suppose if I had another bike that needed a cheaper saddle on it, I may just be tempted by a Cardiff or a Velo-Orange.
Old 12-14-09, 03:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
I think it has a lot to do with what you're exposed to first. I've always known about Brooks and Ideale saddles; however, I never heard of Cardiff until last year. I suppose if I would've heard of Cardiff first I might be more brand loyal towards them; however, every Brooks saddle I've come across have always been first rate. To my line of thinking why mess with success? I suppose if I had another bike that needed a cheaper saddle on it, I may just be tempted by a Cardiff or a Velo-Orange.
That makes sense. I was only shown the Cardiff at the store I was at and the guy talked it up and barely even mentioned the Brooks. So once I bought the Cardiff and recently joined this website and read all about Brooks; I was sorely dissapointed
Old 12-14-09, 04:24 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
Specialized Avatar Gel size 143. No chaffing and it flexes well.
Old 12-14-09, 04:36 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2006 Specialized Allez Sport Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized BG Ladies Lithia - 155. It's on my road bike. It's good for me. I like it. I had a Brooks B67 for a short time on a bike I sold. I would like to try one again and really put the time in on it now that I have a backup saddle that I like. I have been in the horse saddle and leatherworking business my whole life so a Brooks seems more natural and appealing to me. First, though, I need to pick my touring bike.
Old 12-14-09, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B 17 special for me. Cost only $89 last summer, just before the prices went up. whew. Rode 6 days straight on a 3 week tour in the summer with no discomfort at all, where my Terry liberator would've killed me by the 4th day.

Last edited by thecrunge; 12-14-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 52 Posts
Specialized Avatar 143. Harder on the sit bones than a leather saddle, but no perineal pressure. Once you get some cycling callouses (tough butt), it's a great saddle.
Old 12-14-09, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfy from day one or me.

13_MonGapC&O 09_033.jpg
Old 12-15-09, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Team Professional. I've owned several. Some were destroyed in a fire while I wore one out.
Old 12-15-09, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B17 standard works for me. In my case, I found saddles with too much padding cause numbness on long rides.
Old 12-15-09, 11:16 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have four bikes and right now I have eight saddles. Never found a perfect fit for me so I just ride one until I don't like it anymore and change it out. My last long tour was with a Brooks Pro which did okay after a month with it. That saddle is still on the Burley which I seldom ride around home.
Old 12-15-09, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Selle An-Atomica Titanico.

Leather is pliable and waterproof, so it requires no break-in period or treatments, unlike a Brooks. I'd only used plastic and foam seat before I started touring and found that they were good if I was doing less than 50 miles a day. Now I can ride centuries day after day after day on the Selle An-Atomica. Also, I have several inches of saddle to bar drop on my touring bike and find the An-Atomica works well if I have it nose down a smidge.
Old 12-15-09, 02:45 PM
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear cub
Had to re-read my post. I am impressed but never expressed "love" for the saddle. I don't now what to say about the negative comments since I don't know what the complaints are. Why were you disappointed? The only somewhat negative thing I have heard about them is from Rivbike. They say it breaks in faster than a Brooks which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. This is probably why it comes pre-laced. Again, the main reason I got it was because of the additional setback (but it does look great).
Old 12-15-09, 03:34 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
I have a Brooks B-17 Narrow on my touring bike and on my 'slop' bike (a Stumpjumper hardtail), a Brooks Pro on my commuting bike, a Selle Italia Flite on my Moots and on my Stumpjumper FSR.

I can definately tell a difference between the Brooks saddles with the B-17N being just a little more comfortable than the Pro. And the plastic saddles are definately less comfortable but they work better on a mountain bike then the Brooks...can't get a Brooks back far enough.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-15-09, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have tried tons of saddles over the years. I had finally settled on Brooks B17 Champion Special until I acquired a Fizik Vitesse in a swap. The Vitesse is a light saddle (250 g w/ ti rails version) but wider than most racing saddles. Anyway, the Vitesse is more comfortable (for me) than the B17, but weighs less than half as much. You can often find them for sale on eBay for good prices, eg less than $30. I've since put Vitesse saddles on my 4 road bikes.
Old 12-15-09, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
Had to re-read my post. I am impressed but never expressed "love" for the saddle. I don't now what to say about the negative comments since I don't know what the complaints are. Why were you disappointed? The only somewhat negative thing I have heard about them is from Rivbike. They say it breaks in faster than a Brooks which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. This is probably why it comes pre-laced. Again, the main reason I got it was because of the additional setback (but it does look great).
I don't know if I'm really disappointed. It's my first leather saddle and I don't think it's as comfortable as I thought it would be. I've ridden it atleast 150+ miles and it might still be a little longer before it breaks in. Oh well, it's better than the stock saddle my bike came with.
Old 12-17-09, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B-17...took about 1000 miles to really get comfy. Now I don't even know it's there.
Old 12-18-09, 12:51 AM
This is Shangri La

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thousands of miles on my Selle An-Atomica. Oh it's black so it's more comfortable.
Old 12-18-09, 02:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avocet Racing One. I like the leather ones the best, but all I can find these days are vinyl. Specifically, I like the ones from the early 90s. I bought my two current ones for five dollars at the local community bike shop.
Old 12-19-09, 10:27 AM
vintage tourer

Bikes: '72 bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B17
Old 12-19-09, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Killer-V 900 (Mountain), Jamis Aurora (Touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Brooks Champion Flyer which with the springs is perfect for anyone that rides on rail trails or bumpy roads. Mine only too about 200 miles to break in.
Old 12-19-09, 10:57 AM
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DuckFat
The Brooks Champion Flyer which with the springs is perfect for anyone that rides on rail trails or bumpy roads. Mine only too about 200 miles to break in.
If it fits.

Last edited by kayakdiver; 12-20-09 at 07:36 AM. Reason: my "if" vanished.. funny
Old 12-19-09, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Flyer on my touring bike. Selle An-Atomica on my commuter.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 12-27-09, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Champion Flyer
Old 12-27-09, 05:39 PM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Terry Raptor Y (mens). Everyone's butt is different but this one fits me perfectly. I purchased several extra on sale because you never know when something you like will be discontinued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.