Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Parts Situation is Getting Weird

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Parts Situation is Getting Weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,725 Times in 2,616 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReading
Hmmm. Try finding a 36t steel middle chainring on there ...
Well, you might need to pair that search with a time machine, depending on the bcd of that ring.
Old 09-07-21, 05:12 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
DaveReading, nlerner:

There appears to be at least one for sale on eBay now in 5-bolt 110BCD (Shimano SG G-36, listed as being steel vice alloy). But it's out of the UK, so shipping is kinda high - higher, in fact, than the cost of the item (total is >$40US).

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-07-21 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Multi-quote did not work as expected. Info added to ID to whom reply was intended.
Old 09-07-21, 08:25 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You can find 7 speed 11-28 cassettes on Ebay all day long.
11-28 is like the cassette equivalent of the 14-28 freewheel -- they'll always be available from some company in any number of speeds. It's the closer-ratio "road" stuff that disappears or gets silly-expensive...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-07-21, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hondo6
DaveReading, nlerner:

There appears to be at least one for sale on eBay now in 5-bolt 110BCD (Shimano SG G-36, listed as being steel vice alloy). But it's out of the UK, so shipping is kinda high - higher, in fact, than the cost of the item (total is >$40US).
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the trouble to signpost one. The good news is that I'm actually in the UK.

The bad news is that I need one to fit a 4-bolt, 104 BCD chainset.

I'll keep looking - in the meantime I might try flipping the ring to see if that helps.
Old 09-07-21, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18388 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Is this friction shifting, retro friction, or indexed?

If it is friction, you can probably upgrade to say 8 sprockets on a 9 speed cassette, and a 9 speed chain.

I've experimented a bit with the DNP Epoch 11-28, 7 speed cassette. It still has a minimum of a 2-tooth jump between gears. Perhaps also slightly wider than the standard 7 speed. But, you also get that 11T.
Old 09-08-21, 04:56 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, you might need to pair that search with a time machine, depending on the bcd of that ring.
Originally Posted by DaveReading
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the trouble to signpost one. The good news is that I'm actually in the UK.

The bad news is that I need one to fit a 4-bolt, 104 BCD chainset.

I'll keep looking - in the meantime I might try flipping the ring to see if that helps.
Well, Surly makes a 36T 104BCD 4-bolt in 304 stainless. Modern Bicycles in the US has at least one in stock, but I don't know (1) whether they'll ship to the UK, or (2) what it would cost shipped to the UK if in fact they would do so. Jenson USA and Northwest Bicycles in the US also list black Truativ Trushift 36T 104BCD 4-bolt chainrings in steel as being available for sale (both listings are ambiguous, saying it's made from 7075 in one place, but both came up on a search as being steel - and the Northwest listing title also explicitly says it's steel). Might be worth contacting them and inquiring as well. Believe all of these are designed for use with 3/32" chain, though the Truativ appears to be 10/11S capable also.

Also found one in black steel (a cheapie, Conlense, listed for MTB use) on US Amazon.

Again: not sure about availability/cost of shipping to the UK. Might be worth contacting the above vendors, though.

I'd post links, but according to site policy I'm still "not old enough" yet. (smile)

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-08-21 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Add new info concerning ambiguous listings for Truativ chainrings and better clarity.
Old 09-08-21, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 540 Posts
Supply of good seven speed freewheels out there, had noticably been dwindling in the past few years. Even ones with uber corn cob ratios are rarely popping up now.
So, when I find them, I usually don't think too long before buying them. But it seems like I was still late in the game trying to snatch 7 speed freewheels, as I think I only have just one left in my stash for builds.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 09-08-21 at 05:47 AM.