Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Different attitudes towards bikes across generations and areas

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Different attitudes towards bikes across generations and areas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
My wife is pretty good about not complaining about my purchases. I was fretting about having almost $500 in a 30 year old mountain bike that I have been modifying. Her opinion is that since I am smiling 😁 when I come back from riding it it's worth the cost
Or you can sell it to her like - honey, you now have, or will have, a 50+ year old hubby with the athleticism and stamina of a 20 year old, and all the positive benefits that go along with that.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 07-26-23, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
To be fair it is rather absurd how expensive new mountain bikes and road bikes are. It’s gotten ridiculous.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-26-23, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Guy in an 80k pick em up truck with 600 buttons on the dash, AC cooled steering wheel, front to back moon roofs that have never been opened... looks down on you and says "you paid how much for that bike?"...
That right there ^ there
Jughead, we have to be related.

As far as the OP, you do what you think is best. I'm older than you, probably been riding and dealing with your list of grievances longer as well. You can get all wound up about what others think, or you can live your life as you see fit. I choose to live my life, MY way, and chuckle when I see the obituaries of those critical individuals who could have avoided an early exit had they ridden a bike. Currently, I'm three funerals away from a perfect social network
Old 07-26-23, 01:20 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10501 Post(s)
Liked 12,030 Times in 6,160 Posts
I don't hear comments from any friends or family about what I spend on bikes, nor do I tell them. They're FAR more likely to ask how far I ride, or if they live hereabouts, where I ride, and then they are astonished that I go that far (though it's probably pretty average around BF). My wife is okay with what I spend on bikes because I'm generally pretty responsible about it and also because bikes and working on bikes and riding bikes keep me sane.

A good bike may be expensive, but do you know what good a good therapist costs these days?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Once again your stuck with family and it pays to be civil with them.
Taking overt or outright unwarrented criticism only leads to more. I have never cared about feathers I've ruffled when they brought it on themselves. The bonus is, they keep their yip shut from there on out. Oh, they think it, but they don't say it. That's all I care about.
Old 07-26-23, 01:35 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Many people will never get it. To anyone who's not a somewhat avid cyclist, it will be very hard to understand the value of a $2000+ bike, when there are plenty of bikes on the racks at WalMart and Target for 10% of that price. They look the same, right? They all have two wheels, a seat, handlebar, pedals, and brakes. What's so much better about that *fancy bike?

It happens with other interests as well. I would never spend thousands of dollars fixing up a car with aftermarket exhaust, brake and suspension upgrades, race seats/harnesses, carbon fiber body panels, etc. I'm not entering races with my car, and not trying to pick up girls. My car can already break the speed limit on any road in North America. It is safe, reliable, and comfortable for daily transportation, so I'd be wasting any money I spent on performance upgrades. Yet there are plenty of folks who see my car as dull, uninspiring, underperforming. They get great happiness by squeezing out maximum acceleration, cornering, braking, and even exhaust sounds from their cars. Their money, their passion, their right to go crazy with upgrades. Similar deal with avid fishermen, woodworkers, musicians (or audiophiles), and a hundred other hobbies. I'll just keep trying to build nice bikes.

* Humorous note. I watched a Jim Gaffigan stand up show recently and liked this joke from him: "My son asked me what white trash is. I said, 'Where did you hear that?' He said, 'Mom says your family is white trash.' I explained to him, 'Some of your relatives call real cheese FANCY cheese.'"
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-26-23, 01:45 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
To be fair it is rather absurd how expensive new mountain bikes and road bikes are. It’s gotten ridiculous.
I don't disagree with this opinion. However, you can buy or build a very nice bike for much less than the thousands of dollars you have to give for a new high end model. By very nice I mean durable, functional, comfortable, and even good looking. It may not be really light, and will not have state of the art components or materials, but it will serve an ordinary rider through many years of daily use. The cost of such a bike is way more than retail price for a junky department store Bike Shaped Object. It's way less than the flagship or even second-tier models from any of the "good" bike companies.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-26-23 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-26-23, 01:55 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 5,763 Times in 2,968 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Many people will never get it. To anyone who's not a somewhat avid cyclist, it will be very hard to understand the value of a $2000+ bike, when there are plenty of bikes on the racks at WalMart and Target for 10% of that price. They look the same, right? They all have two wheels, a seat, handlebar, pedals, and brakes. What's so much better about that *fancy bike?

It happens with other interests as well. I would never spend thousands of dollars fixing up a car with aftermarket exhaust, brake and suspension upgrades, race seats/harnesses, carbon fiber body panels, etc. I'm not entering races with my car, and not trying to pick up girls. My car can already break the speed limit on any road in North America. It is safe, reliable, and comfortable for daily transportation, so I'd be wasting any money I spent on performance upgrades. Yet there are plenty of folks who see my car as dull, uninspiring, underperforming. They get great happiness by squeezing out maximum acceleration, cornering, braking, and even exhaust sounds from their cars. Their money, their passion, their right to go crazy with upgrades. Similar deal with avid fishermen, woodworkers, musicians (or audiophiles), and a hundred other hobbies. I'll just keep trying to build nice bikes.

* Humorous note. I watched a Jim Gaffigan stand up show recently and liked this joke from him: "My son asked me what white trash is. I said, 'Where did you hear that?' He said, 'Mom says your family is white trash.' I explained to him, 'Some of your relatives call real cheese FANCY cheese.'"
Excellent analogy about cars and other hobbies taken to the extremes. BTDT. People outside a hobby rarely can understand or appreciate someone’s passion, but that is a part of human nature. There are many hobbies I don’t understand or appreciate but am thankful that everyone isn’t doing mine (hiking, cycling) or things would be much more expensive and/or crowded.

Gaffigan has a new special on Prime.

Old 07-26-23, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 251 Posts
Since E bikes came out there's been a HUGE change in the tune of former cheapskates.
Millions are spending at least $2,000 for these toys that get you around but do nothing much for fitness.
Old 07-26-23, 02:24 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by rsbob
Gaffigan has a new special on Prime.
I think that's the one I watched a few days ago. It's called "Dark Pale."
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-26-23, 02:34 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 4,866 Times in 2,245 Posts
You're how old? Just ride the heck out of what you own. Then upgrade to next level. And ride another few years, as much as you can. Make it a part of your routine. Ohio, ...ride a trainer in winter.
Then, ...in a few years,
Ask today's cycling naysayers = How old do you feel?

He who laughs last laughs loudest..
or
He who feels better every day,... has a better day.

cycle on,.....

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
Old 07-26-23, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8344 Post(s)
Liked 9,189 Times in 4,529 Posts
To be fair it is rather absurd how expensive everything is. It’s gotten ridiculous.
fify
Likes For big john:
Old 07-26-23, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'm sympathetic with your father in law's view here, because that's what I thought when I bought my first bike (in 40 years) six years ago. Now, I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm riding such expensive bikes, and don't want to tell anyone how much they cost. My bikes even seem like an extravagance to me, but after riding for a while and discovering what I wanted in a bike, I also discovered that getting what I wanted cost thousands of dollars.
I bought a Honda Fit 5 years ago for $1000 it runs great. Last year I bought a bike and a few accessories for $2000. As long as that Honda gets me form point A to point B reliably I will keep driving it. The bike will outlast me and the Honda so I consider it money well spent.
Old 07-26-23, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Why care about what someone else thinks? This just escapes me. Keep the cost of anything you buy to yourself. The only person who should have an opinion on it is you, and your spouse if you are married. Other than that, who cares.
It's your money your choice.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 07-26-23, 05:33 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
To be fair it is rather absurd how expensive everything is. It’s gotten ridiculous.
fify
I was thinking more like this...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Difference between spending a bunch on a car vs a bicycle is that a nice car is a status symbol while a nice bike might impress other cyclists (or have them judge you LOL) but isn't a status symbol.
Old 07-27-23, 01:08 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Difference between spending a bunch on a car vs a bicycle is that a nice car is a status symbol while a nice bike might impress other cyclists (or have them judge you LOL) but isn't a status symbol.
A status symbol is meant to impress people whose approval one values.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-27-23, 09:09 AM
Super-duper Genius

The difference is when you buy a really nice car, a few enthusiasts will think you're cool, and everyone else will think you're a pompous jerk. Whereas if you buy a really nice bike... oh, wait. I guess it's the same.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 09:37 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,434 Posts
I had this discussion with my father in law after I got to the point of building myself a good bike. (Surly Long Haul Trucker)
Why do you need a $1000 bike ?
Answer: because you are on a tight budget
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-27-23, 09:43 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by kapusta
answer: Because you are on a tight budget
ftw.
Old 07-30-23, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Old Gen X here. I actually had the opposite discussion recently with my brother (who used to be an avid cyclist and still has his old Trek road bike and his Gary Fisher mountain bike). I asked his opinion on the State 4130 Road, which I’m interested in.

His take was that I should just get mid level Trek or Specialized etc. “You can afford it. Get something good. Stop riding $200 dollar bikes.” I get his point in the sense that if I want to do centuries or something in really hilly terrain, my current bikes are probably not suitable (current bikes: A BikesDirect Windsor TimeLine that I had my local shop convert to a three speed; and a Linus Gaston 3, which also has a Sturmey-Archer three speed). For present purposes, rides up to about 40 miles in NYC, what I have works. The State would be a variation on the same theme (1x8 gearing) with a little extra range. But going up 9W to Bear Mountain (north of the city) would be more difficult.

So I am thinking of going modern with modern pricing. My birthday is coming up, so I might buy myself a present. Then again, there’s a vintage Gibson guitar I’m thinking about too…
Old 07-30-23, 06:07 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's not about what you need. It's about what you want and are able to do and afford.
Peoples obsession for wanting things that they don't really need is what is slowly destroying the fabric of our society and civilization. People have lost the ability to enjoy simple things in life and to be content with their life.
Old 07-30-23, 06:17 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Peoples obsession for wanting things that they don't really need is what is slowly destroying the fabric of our society and civilization.
Which means, unless you commute, every bike most all of us own. What a silly thing to say.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-30-23, 08:20 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Peoples obsession for wanting things that they don't really need is what is slowly destroying the fabric of our society and civilization. People have lost the ability to enjoy simple things in life and to be content with their life.
not so sure about that. i'd say people's obsession with having things that are damaging to their health, to the environment, to society, their financial stability, to human interaction, perhaps. we don't "need" art, culture, literature, even most science, frankly.

if a company wants to (ethically) make a product, and a person who earned their money legally and can afford it wants to buy said product, more power to them. those who either don't want that product or can't afford it can either mind their own business, or talk a lot of smack about it on the internet, i guess!
Old 07-30-23, 08:30 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
back to the original post, i think this topic of generational interest or attitudes towards bicycles is interesting. i'd guess it's both about generations and about regions, and the tipping point is actually attitudes towards cars, not bicycles. i know for sure that while my parents enjoyed bicycles at various times in their life, coming of age in the 50s and early 60s meant that they saw the automobile as an unbridled good, believed that any problems it created could be solved by better technology and more roads, and (particularly my father, who spent most of his adult life living on the sf peninsula, surrounded by some of best and most avid cycling anywhere) that cycling was by and large for recreation only and should not in any way be allowed to interfere with the free passage of the automobile. for whatever reasons, good or bad, i know many people born between 1935 and 1960 who are deeply threatened by anything that stands in the way of free movement in their ICE cars, regardless of the larger unmeasured impacts on anyone else.

my older colleagues feel somewhat similarly, and would ride only for exercise and social value, although because of the field we're in they have to at the very least pay lip service to the merits of cycling, bike lanes, bike parking, showers, all that.

my peers who live outside a handful of urban cores also feel similarly, but are more likely to cycle for sport since they're a bit younger, fitter, and all that. but again, just for fun.

but my peers (born between 1970 and 1990) who live in actual cities with semi decent infrastructure, more enlightened transit policies, and non-deadly weather view bicycles as transportation and recreation, and many ride basically everywhere, by themselves, with partners, and with their kids in tow. as you skew younger and younger, it's more and more likely that those people don't have cars, don't want one of their own, and rely on a mix of walking, cycling, public transit, and ridesharing services. of course as they get older many will get a car and drive it everywhere, but i don't think it will ever reach the level of primacy that the silent generation and the boomers constructed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.