Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 02:45 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puppypilgrim
Very nice makeinu. I lusted after the Carryme a long time for basically a 5~6 km commute to the light rapid transit train station in a city setting. However, the price and lack of availability in Vancouver meant that the only viable option for a USA purchase + shipping. I ended getting a Xootr Scooter and have no regrets. Goes easy on the bus between my legs, at 10 lbs, is light, no chain, no pneumatic tires, I can maintain 20 km/h on a level asphalt surface with sprints of 23~24 km/h and is a zero-maintenance personal mobility device.

In your experience, what is a comfortable cruising speed on the Carryme?
I can't really be bothered with a speedometer so it's difficult to say how fast I could cruise in ideal conditions, but looking at gmap-pedometer what I can tell you is that it takes me about 15 minutes to commute ~5km with 6~7 traffic lights up/down 3-4 hills ranging from 3-5% grade on badly rutted roads.

However, since the singlespeed Carryme is geared so low I think the distinction wouldn't be in terms of speed as much as:
1. Effort- the larger pneumatic tires are much more efficient for coasting as are the gear driven wheels much more efficient for propulsion.
2. Maintenance- polyurethane wheels wear down rather quickly and their bearings are usually quickly destroyed by wet and grit.
3. Versatility- surface roughness, minor debris, hills, and wetness can transform problems #1 and #2 from minor drawbacks to showstoppers for polyurethane wheels...plus a seat gives you more ways to control your balance which is very important with small wheels (ex you can't wheelie a kick scooter).

I have to admit that I've never used a kick scooter for more than a couple blocks, but I think a good pair of inline skates is a better way to build a vehicle with skate wheels and I've been thinking about getting a pair of these:

which are way smaller and lighter than even a razor scooter when you consider that the bulk of the device replaces your normal shoes. I have a lot of skating experience, so I don't think they will replace my Carryme for the same three reasons outlined above, but if I end up liking them for good weather then I might increase the gear on my Carryme or upgrade to a two speed.
Old 11-03-08, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
However, since the singlespeed Carryme is geared so low I think the distinction wouldn't be in terms of speed as much as:
1. Effort- the larger pneumatic tires are much more efficient for coasting
Xootr Says
Old 11-03-08, 11:03 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Yeah, but what about what they don't say? I think it's pretty well accepted by scooter, skate, and bicycle enthusiasts alike that as surface roughness increases optimum rolling resistance shifts from harder to softer wheels. Feel free to disagree, but I have not found the hard Xootr wheels to coast as well as my Carryme's on typical road surfaces.

Last edited by makeinu; 11-03-08 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 11:47 AM
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah,... but I have not found the hard Xootr wheels to coast as well as my Carryme's on typical road surfaces.
yes, and let alone mild off road surfaces like bike paths and footpaths.
Old 11-04-08, 12:08 PM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son's used to be great skate fans a few years ago (maybe about 8 or 10). I had a go with them and their skates since as they had grown bigger than me in their early teens, they had a few pairs that fitted me, but it has to be the worst ever way to travel. A bike is vastly easier - any bike - even a strida. We had a good laugh, but I ended up head first in mud in the park, had very sore feet and put more energy and skin into that trip than if I had done ten times the distance on a bike.

There are several really beautiful and extraordinarily efficient folding bikes. If you don't go down below sixteen inch wheels you will usually get a serviceable form of transport from any of the usual makes. In comparison to skates or scooters they will all be sheer heaven and will last far longer.

Last edited by EvilV; 11-04-08 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 02:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
My son's used to be great skate fans a few years ago (maybe about 8 or 10). I had a go with them and their skates since as they had grown bigger than me in their early teens, they had a few pairs that fitted me, but it has to be the worst ever way to travel. A bike is vastly easier - any bike - even a strida. We had a good laugh, but I ended up head first in mud in the park, had very sore feet and put more energy and skin into that trip than if I had done ten times the distance on a bike.

There are several really beautiful and extraordinarily efficient folding bikes. If you don't go down below sixteen inch wheels you will usually get a serviceable form of transport from any of the usual makes. In comparison to skates or scooters they will all be sheer heaven and will last far longer.
In all fairness I think that inline skates can be just as misunderstood by cyclists as bicycles are by motorists. There's a big difference between a quality skate and a cheap one, between a well maintained skate and a poorly maintained one, and between the technique of a good skater and the technique of a poor one. Moreover, skates with bigger wheels are actually faster because a bigger wheel imparts more mechanical leverage to the skating motion (as opposed to bicycles for which leverage can be set independent of wheel size); Since this was only recently recognized today's skates have bigger wheels and are much faster than what you would've found ten years ago. So I'd liken your experience to someone taking his kid's rusty old undergeared department store for a ride without even setting the seat high enough for a good stroke.

Save offroading, people do many of the same activities on inlines that cyclists do. Speed skaters boast that they can beat the pants off of cyclists when sprinting and going up hill and I just read a guy's blog who used the detachable skates above to complete a 250 mile three day tour of Belgium (and he was concerned that his 80mm wheels wouldn't keep up with the 90mm wheels sported by his mates ). Many skaters also claim that inlines are faster than bikes for suburban commutes up to ten miles due to the ability to take pedestrian shortcuts, seemlessly walk up/down curbs/stairs, board transit, etc (obviously there's a bit of overlap here with folding bikes) and blow bicycles out of the water in urban environments for the same reasons.

So I think skates are an excellent way to travel. Although they suffer from the many disadvantages I outlined in my prior post, they are still tremendously smaller and lighter than even the smallest folding bike, as they are way more maneuverable, and cheaper.

Unfortunately I can't don the same praises on scooters, which seem to combine all the worst qualities of skates and bicycles:
-scooters have all the disadvantages of small polyurethane wheels
-scooters are less maneuverable than skates
-scooters have an even less efficient method of propulsion than skates
-scooters have big and heavy frames like bicycles
-scooters force you to stand like skates

One thing I've glossed over (and I think is the biggest disadvantage of skates) is that they are way more cumbersome and annoying to "fold/pack" than even the worst folding bike. Hopefully detachable models have solved this problem, but it depends on if they aren't too uncomfortable as shoes and if they skate as well as regular skates.
Old 11-11-08, 07:27 AM
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anybody know where to buy a chainring for the old (I believe 2006) model with 90t?

Reason: Sometimes I find the gearing on my carryme too low. I tested the dual speed but was not convinced and would like to try to swap the chainring -my chainring has 84t. (I did pm makeinu and I will ask Pacific also but thought, I try here first.)
Thx in advance
Old 11-11-08, 10:17 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thought I'd share some pics of my CM mods.
Pretty cool Makeinu
Old 05-08-09, 11:55 PM

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you feel drag on the drivetrain...

the tugnuts and the rear axle bolts may need some adjustment. The tugnuts are the nuts covered by the black rubber caps at the end of the horizontal track ends. They adjust the amount of chain tension in the system.

In my case, I felt a measurable amount of rolling resistance which I put down to the small wheels. The rear wasn't able to freewheel very well at all. Loosening the tugnuts and holding the inner axle lock nut tight while tightening the outer axle lock nut did the job.

When you turn the pedals, the rear wheel should freewheel and spin easily then slow down gradually. If the system is tight and doesn't spin freely in proportion to the speed of your pedal turn, you need to loosen the tension in the system.
Old 05-09-09, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread.

I'm actually thinking of increasing the weight of my Carryme-to-be with a suspended saddle or a Thudbuster. (Am I just defeating the purpose?)

Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-09, 06:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
I'm glad to see this thread.

I'm actually thinking of increasing the weight of my Carryme-to-be with a suspended saddle or a Thudbuster. (Am I just defeating the purpose?)

Any thoughts?
The way the seat tube hinges foward to fold is already similar to the thudbuster motion and I've always thought it ripe for suspension modification or redesign. It hinges at the frame tube and has two contact surfaces:
1. At the seat stays.
2. At the frame tube.

Thudbuster will obviously be more refined, but I'd try sticking an elastomer at one of those contact surfaces first. For example, a rubber band at the seat stays is an easy and popular mod which I've found very comfortable, but YMMV.

Last edited by itsajustme; 05-11-09 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 07:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my case, I felt a measurable amount of rolling resistance which I put down to the small wheels. The rear wasn't able to freewheel very well at all. Loosening the tugnuts and holding the inner axle lock nut tight while tightening the outer axle lock nut did the job.
Is there anyway to make the Carryme's wheels roll easier?

Are the Carryme's wheel bearings repackable?

Can ABEC 7 bearings be pressed into the Carryme hub?
What happened? Change your mind about the effectiveness of retensioning the chain? The hubs are a sealed custom design and I haven't tried to disassemble mine yet so I don't know if they have replaceable cartridges or not. Why don't you take it apart or contact www.pacific-cycles.com or www.alternativevehicles.com and find out for us?

All I can say is that if yours aren't worn out, my front wheel spins easily enough for the lopsided weight of the tube valve to completely obscure my observation of bearing friction and the rear wheel is dominated by freewheeling friction (which isn't noticeable under load). But I've been off my Carryme for a few months due to decreasing brake performance (I live in a hilly area and after servicing my brake made it worse I decided it wasn't safe to ride until I have a chance to upgrade to something more reliable...cheap single pivot calipers with long cables are the absolute worst combination).

A few questions:
1. Does the problem affect both wheels? If it's rear only then it's probably a drivetrain issue. Like I posted in your inaugural Carryme thread, logic says that decreasing wheel size has to begin favoring front freewheels, so perhaps the Carryme has crossed that threshold.
2. Do you detect a problem on the work stand? If you only feel it while riding then I think you'll get much better results by switching back to pneumatic tires than messing with the bearings. I don't think small tires deflate faster than larger ones because there's less surface area to cause leakage and pumping up is easier because you need fewer pump strokes. Also, while the 8x1-1/4 tire size is rare, the 8x1-1/4 tube size is surprisingly common (I guess electric wheelchairs are easier on tires than tubes).

Last edited by itsajustme; 05-11-09 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-11-10, 02:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just bought a pre-owned 2008 CarryMe based on your reviews and comments yesterday and do not regret it... It has flat tires and I think there's a chain tension problem as mentioned by puppypilgrim in another post but it was still riding well so far! Attracted a bit more attention than I wanted on the train while going home though!

My 2008 Carry me weighs 8.1kg on my digital bathroom scale with no mods...

I'm new to fixed wheels so I have a few questions...

1. I did rear brake
How would you do an emergency stop if needed?? Normally I would just flat out brake on both front and back... but if you do that on the front brake alone, won't you go flying off over the handle bars???

kickstand, seatpost, and saddle.
Wow sounds like nice upgrades... I'm planning to upgrade to an ISM Sport saddle, which is about half the price of your Racing model, costing only $US50 shipped. While it weighs 417g, which is heavier than the standard saddle by 100 grams, it seems much more comfortable, and the 'mouth' in the saddle will probably avoid me having to move the saddle sideways... I don't mind the extra weight, since weight will be cut in other places... I don't feel like spending an extra $50 to cut down 100g at the expense of comfort Thanks for the reference to BikeIsland by the way, they're much cheaper than Amazon!!

By the way, I was doing some research and found the luggage rack has been beefed up each year, which may explain in part why the bike became heavier each year!!

Pre-2008 Carryme:

2008 Carry me

2009 Carry me

2010?? Carry me. Slightly angled at the back

Last edited by quasar; 04-11-10 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-11-10, 11:33 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Makeinu has been banned and I not aware that he maintaining a presence under another name.
Old 04-12-10, 03:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banned? oh no... what happened?!!! Seems sad to bad someone with such valuable contributions!
Old 04-12-10, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quasar
Banned? oh no... what happened?!!! Seems sad to bad someone with such valuable contributions!
yes. any reason why ? we wanted to know the reason so that we could avoid being banned, too....

thanks,
vic
Old 04-12-10, 04:08 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know... I can only guess he repeatedly insulted someone, that's usually what will get you banned. (I have had a warning myself. ) I also enjoyed his contributions.
Old 04-15-10, 10:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyway to make the Carryme's wheels roll easier?
Are the Carryme's wheel bearings repackable?
Can ABEC 7 bearings be pressed into the Carryme hub?
I dismantled my Carry me's wheels (ver. 2008 with rear freewheel) and found out that the front wheel uses bearings that seem to be the same size as for skateboard wheels. However, while one of the bearings came out, the other one seemed to be stuck in.

As for the rear wheel - the freewheel comes out, but again, the bearings on the other side refused to budge... Don't know if it was due to tightness or if it was glued in!! Out if curiosity, I tried hitting it a few times with a screwdriver handle to see if it would come out but I was afraid to break it so I gave up when it refused to budge.

The bearings look like this, and just like skateboard wheels, there are two per wheel (one on each side):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20087181001373669..jpg (43.8 KB, 270 views)
Old 04-18-10, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhh technology. Used my computers web cam to explain the unfolding of my girlfriends recently acquired Carryme what a fiasco that turned out to be, but in the end success
Old 05-26-10, 12:27 AM
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arste
I have the first series CarryMe
This is the Chainring/Freewheel the green highlighted part including chainring is the part that has some lateral movement. Anyone have any knowledge of this older carryme drivetrain
Can it be tightened any ideas... Thanks again for the input...
I have this problem on another bike, but not my CarryMe. Probably the bottom bracket needs to be tightened, but I don't know how.

Originally Posted by quasar
As for the rear wheel - the freewheel comes out
Is the freewheel and cog one single piece or two separate pieces?

I have a 100/16 ratio (50 gear inches) on my front freewheeling CM, but I want to go higher. I wonder if the 14T cog will fit.
Old 06-01-10, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Several bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lately I had the chance to exchange a few emails with aka Makeinu

Lately I had the chance to exchange a few emails with aka Makeinu. I asked him how he got banned. He said that it has been due to a discussion over clean un-greased chains that he did in other areas of the forum and that gathered a lot of trolling. Banning happened after several warnings. Banning sucks, because it is linked to the IP, therefore right now he is back again under another nickname but he keeps a low profile not to get banned again.

His Carry-Me is doing pretty well. He is using it and modding it.
Old 06-02-10, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gganio
Lately I had the chance to exchange a few emails with aka Makeinu. I asked him how he got banned. He said that it has been due to a discussion over clean un-greased chains that he did in other areas of the forum and that gathered a lot of trolling. Banning happened after several warnings. Banning sucks, because it is linked to the IP, therefore right now he is back again under another nickname but he keeps a low profile not to get banned again.

His Carry-Me is doing pretty well. He is using it and modding it.
That truly sucks - hope he eventually can come back and contribute as he did before.

His enthusiasm and advice really helped to sway me towards towards taking the plunge and buying my first folder a few years ago. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. Sooo, if you are reading this - Thanks a ton Makeinu!
Old 06-02-10, 11:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Makeinu's enthusiasm and knowledge about the CarryMe was most helpful in enabling me to feel confident in buying one. I love it!
Likes For virajmaster:
Old 06-11-10, 12:02 PM
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to ride a huffy the other day to transport it for a weak friend. It made me realise what a great little bike the carry-me is.

I'd rather ride the carry-me five miles than a single mile on that huffy (and that day I did both back to back).
Old 06-11-10, 01:40 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gganio
Lately I had the chance to exchange a few emails with aka Makeinu.
Really? I should drop him a line since he is not far at all. The kiddies have temporarily quashed a lot of friendships.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.